Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Calling Nils and Robi - Laguna Seca Time Attack Nov. 11

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2007, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take it EZ razor, geesh. I wasnt there, thats why I typed "I heard."

The sound could have been higher.

You are right, rules are rules. We're racers, ulta competative. Im upset because my favorite team lost. Should I just have a coke and a smile? We're just bench racing.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 06:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by LDOGGYDIZZLE
Take it EZ razor, geesh. I wasnt there, thats why I typed "I heard."
You are the one that said the event was bogus.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Official results and pictures of the top 3 cars in each class are up on www.RedlineTimeAttack.com as well as a nice re-cap of the event in the left hand column.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chronohunter
Many people were running completely unsafe exhaust modifications that should not have been allowed on the track. I was dodging bits of metal dryer and HVAC ducting all weekend long, it was crazy and dangerous. They all seemed to look the other way when it came to the mods to pass the test, none of that stuff should pass any sort of tech, no one was checking to see if any of it was safe or not.
This is one of the main reasons I'd don't make more of an effort to go to Laguna events. I've seen so many unsafe turn-down pipes that are allowed on track. They're safety hazards to all the cars on track.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
6 mufflers? wth? Where you there?

Rules are rules are rules. I don't understand what all the *****ing is about. Let's see a show of hands of people that had entered this that didn't know about the tracks specific sound requirements where before they came?

Yea 92db sucks and yea even intake sound can be above that, but everyone competing had to deal with it and figure out how to pass and try to win. What's that saying? "That's racing..." ?
+1

Worst-case, some teams just lifted at the sound station...
Old Nov 14, 2007, 01:39 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, didn't realize Laguna had such sound restrictions only to then turn a blind eye to ridiculous muffler mods. Laguna and surrounding areas FTMFL.

Hopefully Redline (and others) will host events elsewhere next year.

l8r)
Old Nov 15, 2007, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

It was bogus. Race cars dont operate at 93db. Period. Dont make it sound like it rained and people didnt have rain tires or something.

Not trying to argue, it is what it is.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 08:31 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Laguna is a state owned park, they are very strict..

But I would also rank it one of the best 3 tracks/facilities in the country....

it really is amazing..

we used to have to run supertraps on the formula mazdas there, but we werent bothered on the lmp cars...

cb
Old Nov 15, 2007, 09:43 AM
EvoM Guru

It was bogus. Race cars dont operate at 93db. Period. Dont make it sound like it rained and people didnt have rain tires or something.
Again, show of hands of the actual competitors that had no idea of the db limit well before the race?

Ok...

People lose sometimes, get over it.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Not trying to argue, it is what it is.

your little EPmobile would be required to run at 90db if you were to go run at an official scca sanctioned san francisco region RACING event... just like the rest of the RACE cars operating at that time.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Jesus, you guys are killing me.

I am over it. Im just chatting.

And ryan, my "little EPmobile" is ready anytime when you'd like to run your evo against it. :lol

BTW Ryan, click on link below, my little EPmobile would not be restricted to 90db.

http://www.sfrscca.org/calendar-file...May5Laguna.pdf

Congrats, im done. Im trying to be nice and just talk about a common interest. I dont appreciate the know it all attitude you forum ***** are pushing. I dont need to prove myself in a forum, be more than happy to do it on the track.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 11:52 AM
EvoM Guru

Im trying to be nice and just talk about a common interest.
It was bogus.
This event was bogus.
Sounds like you are just saying the event was bogus no matter what. Either way, we have our view points and you have yours.

Again I would like a show of hands of competitors that did not know of the db limit before this race.

Or we can just have a beer...
Old Nov 15, 2007, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

And ryan, my "little EPmobile" is ready anytime when you'd like to run your evo against it. :lol

sure thing.. but only at laguna.

and relax mr 'the event was bogus'.. it was just as bogus as any average scca event.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by marksae
This is one of the main reasons I'd don't make more of an effort to go to Laguna events. I've seen so many unsafe turn-down pipes that are allowed on track. They're safety hazards to all the cars on track.
They weren't any less safe than wheel-to-wheel racing where car parts are flying everywhere, and bodywork & mechanical components are laying on the track. I never had a problem dodging car parts, let alone muffler pieces on the track atall...

Originally Posted by CBRD
Laguna is a state owned park, they are very strict..

But I would also rank it one of the best 3 tracks/facilities in the country....

it really is amazing..
+1, people will still come to the event next year. Top teams to the beginners -all for the fame/prestige of racing at one of the most well reknown tracks in the world. You get people who complain about the sound if they didnt win, but you also get the people who were so excited to be able to drive on the track in the first place. It's not a track you can rent out or do a HPDE event at, track days/time attacks are few and far between at Laguna Seca.

Don't drop Laguna Seca. NASA and SCCA are both successful professional sanctioning bodies, their members who compete in a year-long championship all have to deal with the same/similar sound issues as Redline Time Attack.

The cars that compete in SCCA/NASA all have "Laguna Seca Exhaust Setups" specifically for the track. These competitors understand the situation/rules and work around them. Many of these teams are no more or less professional than the teams who participate in the RTA series.

If SCCA/NASA are able to continue successful events at Laguna Seca, and have a following of dedicated/professional members who work around the db limit, RTA should be no different in their decision to keep Laguna Seca on the schedule.

If club racers are able to deal with and work around the sound limits, the best Time Attack teams in the country should be able to figure it out too. Let those dedicated/professional teams (and even low-budget, determined teams/people) attend the Laguna Seca events, and let those who are not dedicated/determined/or creative stay home...

Don't let the complaining of few ruin it for all. If you keep Laguna... They will come

$0.02
Old Nov 17, 2007, 10:18 PM

Oh, we will be back to Laguna....

The more we go there, the better the chance to get an unlimited db event.
If we give up now, then we'll never get anything higher then a 92db day.
It will take some time, but as the Redline Time Attack grows, so will our ability to show race tracks like Laguna that our Time Attack sport is "real" and the quality of the racers/teams that show up will carry more weight than anything.

Quick Reply: Calling Nils and Robi - Laguna Seca Time Attack Nov. 11