Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

HKS Evo runs 1:43.5 at Buttonwillow

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2007, 10:38 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mxpop, I don't think that anything is out of reach for "us" in terms of what they made with their car. They have a ton of development time. That's the biggest difference. Money, fabulous manufacturing, lots of eyes on the project and time.. that's probably all it'll take. AMS will be there. I think that we as small shops need to work on composites at this level to get more weight out of the cars. That's probably the final frontier. We all know how to make power- there are plenty of great drivers, suspension is just a matter of money since the units are already developed for the evo.

So, in short I think that 1 or 2 years and we'll be there (well, not me) but someone... the problem is that HKS will be 2 years ahead also. They have so much depth of talent there it'll take a darkhorse.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 11:16 AM

Thats so true. I'm sure they have an entire crew dedicated to the C230's development. We have to squeeze in work on the time attack car when we get some breathing room from customer work (which is not often). Not to mention they have had the evo for quite a bit longer over in Japan. Remember, it wasn't too long ago that the current drag car was taking turns around the road course. I myself think the progess the car has made over the last year is staggering.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 12:18 PM
MD@
Evolving Member

It'd be interesting to see which team/car ends up defeating HKS here in the future.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WillFultz
Not to mention they have had the evo for quite a bit longer over in Japan. Remember, it wasn't too long ago that the current drag car was taking turns around the road course. I myself think the progess the car has made over the last year is staggering.
Huge Kudos for that!!
Old Nov 17, 2007, 01:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Paul, Justin, and Martin were all there and they had something to say about the tires. They seem to think that they were pretty soft, and that they were an advantage...btw were you at buttonwillow??? You seem to have all the answers without being there, yet you discredit someone else for not being there.

Man if people wanna day dream about what could have happened...let them do it. Who are you to tell them not to? If its bothering you...stay off the internet. I've been day dreaming about what could have been ever since i heard the results.

No one is whining about the hks evo...the car is incredible. We honestly didn't think we were going to beat the car...we wanted to get close. Unfortunately the way the TA1 sits right now, it is out of the hks evos league because of the different rules the cars were setup for.

obviously the tires were very good.. and soft.. noone is douting that....

Im Leh... and i will be on the internet if i want too.... day dreaming is common thing in racing....i do it alot... its pretty fun...

but when did day dreaming and posting what coulda shoulda happend or been... become the same thing?

anyways.. and hoo are you?.. you work at AMS and helped build the car... then i think u would know me...... why didnt you build a hks killer? if its so easy... and dont say cuz the rules... cuuuuuuuz if i hear that one more time... ima lose it.... cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuz u type it like its easy....
Old Nov 17, 2007, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

he he... lol
Old Nov 17, 2007, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kingleh@GSC
obviously the tires were very good.. and soft.. noone is douting that....

Im Leh... and i will be on the internet if i want too.... day dreaming is common thing in racing....i do it alot... its pretty fun...

but when did day dreaming and posting what coulda shoulda happend or been... become the same thing?

anyways.. and hoo are you?.. you work at AMS and helped build the car... then i think u would know me...... why didnt you build a hks killer? if its so easy... and dont say cuz the rules... cuuuuuuuz if i hear that one more time... ima lose it.... cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuz u type it like its easy....
Leh, Can you post this quote in the "wah, EVO lost to an NSX" thread?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...304631&page=11
Old Nov 17, 2007, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Vidulea
Hoepfully Redline is going to be able to add another category to the Time attacks and more cars here in US can be built to compete against the HKS Evo.

OMFG! When will people get it? RTA totally allows cars like the HKS Evo and similaly built cars RIGHT NOW!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:31 AM

I respect what you've done as a racer and i know who you are and i apologize if ive offended you or your ego...but just because you're LEH doesn't mean you'll get respected more by bashing people for opinions.

How did i type like its easy? I can type about 50wpm...I dont even know how to respond to that. Do you honestly believe that i would think its easy to build a car that could beat or even come within a second of the HKS evo? I'm pretty sure i stated before that we didn't even think we were gonna win...we just wanted to be close.

The only posts i saw were people making the statements that if the AMS car was setup like the hks evo (which it is not...they beat us...they are faster, and probably will be for a while) that there may be a possibility AMS would have been a bit closer, and then i saw you bashing them for that. Was anyone posting it as fact? Who knows TA2 might still be 5 sec slower then HKS.

And who am I? No one special...i've never raced competitively or done anything on your level. I dont have 500 posts on this or any website. I'll probably never be as cool as KING LEH. I'm just a guy that builds stuff at ams (including your evo intake manifold...off the clock ). I'm a guy that loves working on cars and loves being surrounded by smart people to help me learn along the way. I have helped alot on the time attack car and will continue to help on it...even if we never build an "hks killer". If the point you're trying to make is that you are on another level and i am not an expert....congrats you're obviously a cooler person and im fine with that. So to answer your question...i didn't build an hks killer because i am not as smart as you!

Bottom line is they are faster then us. Its awesome for me to see the potential of the evo and hopefully we can push our own limits to make a better showing if they ever come back.

Last edited by WillFultz; Nov 18, 2007 at 02:20 PM. Reason: because
Old Nov 18, 2007, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

I I dont understand why you dont think rules had anything to do with this. TA1 was built with the intention of running the redline time attack series. It never was built to be an "hks killer" or the fastest evo in the world. Had we violated the rules of the series we would not have been able to compete. Im sure that would have made our sponsers happy. If the HKS evo would have followed us to Laguna seca they would not have been allowed to compete. I'm not saying that if we built an all out "hks killer" that we would beat them either. That car is awesome and as of now out of our league.

HOLY COW DUDE!

When's it gonna sink in that there are no rules in RTA rulebook that excludes the HKS Evo or that the AMS Evo is built to a tighter/restricted/limited standard? What "rules" were you afraid to violate a hen not be allowed to compete? Where you considering a second motor 'cause that's not allowed......?

Here are te unlimited class rules and he link again.....:
http://www.redlinetimeattack.com/unlimited_rules.htm

UNLIMITED CLASS

The Unlimited Class is designed for full blown race/Time Attack vehicles and "super car" exotics.

Rules specific for Unlimited Class Cars:

-Lexan/Plexiglass windows permitted. Vehicle cannot be “windowless”.

-Sequential Gear Boxes Permitted in Unlimited Class.

- Custom suspension systems may be installed. Sheet metal, including portions of the Unibody, may be cut and/or removed to make way for such custom suspension systems.

- Full Carbon fiber or other light weight materials permitted with no limitations.

- Use of DOT legal tires is required. Tire manufacturer UTQG tread wear rating of less than 50 permitted for Unlimited Class. Non-DOT approved Race Slicks are not permitted.

-See "Vehicle Classification List" For List of Vehicles Relegated to Unlimited Class. i.e. some vehicles will NOT be permitted in the Street or Modified Class due to specific horse power or other specifications. For example, a Ferrari Enzo or Porsche Carrera GT will be relegated to the Unlimited class due to there "super car" specification.

•Some cars will only be able to compete in the Unlimited class. Depending on vehicle dynamics, some cars will be relegated to the Unlimited class, click "Vehicle Classes" for the list of vehicles relegated to the Unlimited class.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:29 PM

I think it would be really cool to see the Speed World Challenge Caddy take on the HKS car. I think it can probably run toe to toe.

It did 1:29.7 in Laguna the week before RTA, and it ran with Toyo RA1 and 40% restrictor and rpm restrictor.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
they did a ton to the ctsv though... changed chassis mounting points?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:50 AM
Former Sponsor

I respect what you've done as a racer and i know who you are and i apologize if ive offended you or your ego...but just because you're LEH doesn't mean you'll get respected more by bashing people for opinions.

How did i type like its easy? I can type about 50wpm...I dont even know how to respond to that. Do you honestly believe that i would think its easy to build a car that could beat or even come within a second of the HKS evo? I'm pretty sure i stated before that we didn't even think we were gonna win...we just wanted to be close.

The only posts i saw were people making the statements that if the AMS car was setup like the hks evo (which it is not...they beat us...they are faster, and probably will be for a while) that there may be a possibility AMS would have been a bit closer, and then i saw you bashing them for that. Was anyone posting it as fact? Who knows TA2 might still be 5 sec slower then HKS.

And who am I? No one special...i've never raced competitively or done anything on your level. I dont have 500 posts on this or any website. I'll probably never be as cool as KING LEH. I'm just a guy that builds stuff at ams (including your evo intake manifold...off the clock ). I'm a guy that loves working on cars and loves being surrounded by smart people to help me learn along the way. I have helped alot on the time attack car and will continue to help on it...even if we never build an "hks killer". If the point you're trying to make is that you are on another level and i am not an expert....congrats you're obviously a cooler person and im fine with that. So to answer your question...i didn't build an hks killer because i am not as smart as you!

Bottom line is they are faster then us. Its awesome for me to see the potential of the evo and hopefully we can push our own limits to make a better showing if they ever come back.

so all i said was.. 'im Leh'.. and i have a big ego now?........ well, thats my name.. its 3 letters put in a certain order order...

anyways..... thats where ur confused.... u think im bashin ams.... im not.. i actualy praised them.. if u will read....... wut im "bashing".... is people saying what coulda happend IF.....

i meen... i think anyone thats around the track enuff... is tired of this 'IF' ****....

this isnt a me vrs you thing.... so just chill.... i dont think im better then you... i would like to have the skills to build that intake manifold.. and other stuff im sure u have built....
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Andrie
I think it would be really cool to see the Speed World Challenge Caddy take on the HKS car. I think it can probably run toe to toe.

It did 1:29.7 in Laguna the week before RTA, and it ran with Toyo RA1 and 40% restrictor and rpm restrictor.

with 600hp

and big sticky tires...

and pratt&miller guys tuning...

its possible it could get close to the time.....

i think the hks car would be like 26s at laguna......
Old Nov 19, 2007, 01:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
well the ctsv is still 3200 pounds with all it's chassis work. i'm sure they could do a lot more cf body panel stuff though.

Quick Reply: HKS Evo runs 1:43.5 at Buttonwillow