Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVO IX vs. Porsche Club of America

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2007, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsmythe2
Agreed. I think it's a whole lot easier on the wallet to make HUGE improvements to the Evo Not quite the case with the other cars on the list...
Agreed, except for the C6Z. That car is relatively inexpensive to mod and comes track-ready off the showroom floor...not to mention faster than a 997 GT3

Still, the Evo is incredibly responsive to mods. I've put $750 in mine for approximately a 70WHP gain...that's hard to beat I can't wait to get some coilovers and do a few track days next year.

Last edited by 72Tornado; Nov 18, 2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 07:46 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've watched it happen at a PCA event at Memphis Motorsports with a nearly stock Mellon Tuned Evo outrunning all of the Porsche street cars. I have no doubt that a modded GT35 Evo would do damage to a lot of track cars.

I own an older 911 and love the car to death, but the speed/$$ ratio is much better for the Evo.

yep seth's car put down 310awhp on DLL, nothing too crazy for the basic mods, tbe, mbc, Mellon tune...yet he absolutely destroyed everything out there.

hell he was running non stop for 20 minutes on pump gas 93 octane as hard as he could go A 35R on the good stuff would be insane out there.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Z06 is a monster off of the showroom, and given equally competent drivers, will absolutely crush a stock Evo. Sorry to say it, but the Evo's tires and suspension can't hold a candle stock vs. stock.

And as a former 996 Carrera owner, the suspension on that car was light years ahead of the Evo. While my car (lightly moded) was much faster in a straight line, the Porsche would trounce it in the corners. When you got in and drove that car, you could tell where that extra $70k went.

Now I love my Evo, but the last time I was out at the track (power mods, RA-1's, and no other suspension mods), the prepped Porsches were getting the point-by all over the place. There was no way I could keep those speeds in the twisties. This was also at Texas Motorsports Ranch, where the track is much more technical and favors a well-handling car over one that will power through the straights.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mellon
yep seth's car put down 310awhp on DLL, nothing too crazy for the basic mods, tbe, mbc, Mellon tune...yet he absolutely destroyed everything out there.

hell he was running non stop for 20 minutes on pump gas 93 octane as hard as he could go A 35R on the good stuff would be insane out there.
Stock suspension/brakes??
Old Nov 18, 2007, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrMTB
The Z06 is a monster off of the showroom, and given equally competent drivers, will absolutely crush a stock Evo. Sorry to say it, but the Evo's tires and suspension can't hold a candle stock vs. stock.

And as a former 996 Carrera owner, the suspension on that car was light years ahead of the Evo. While my car (lightly moded) was much faster in a straight line, the Porsche would trounce it in the corners. When you got in and drove that car, you could tell where that extra $70k went.

Now I love my Evo, but the last time I was out at the track (power mods, RA-1's, and no other suspension mods), the prepped Porsches were getting the point-by all over the place. There was no way I could keep those speeds in the twisties. This was also at Texas Motorsports Ranch, where the track is much more technical and favors a well-handling car over one that will power through the straights.
Then how did an Evo IX run 12 seconds faster than a 996 Carrera around the N-ring despite a significant power deficit? You can only tell so much from handling feel. The NSX, for example, is a very balanced, precise car with wonderful handling feel...but it's not as fast around a road course as it may seem to the driver. Your Carrera is leaps and bounds ahead of an Evo in solidity and build quality...part of the reason you feel its suspension was tighter is probably because you were more isolated from the car itself. But perhaps I'm being presumptuous.

Of course a race-prepped Porsche is going to outrun a bolt-on Evo at the track. How does that surprise you?

And versus the Z06, the tires aren't mainly what hold the Evo back. It's partially suspension and partially a 200hp difference

Last edited by 72Tornado; Nov 18, 2007 at 07:55 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mrMTB

I don't think it has ANYTHING to do with the Evo's handling, I think it has to do with the C6 Z06 having 500HP and the Evo having 276. That is the difference there.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 72Tornado
Stock suspension/brakes??
Stock brakes, Mueller JIC FLTA-2's, rear bar.

I know most of the Porsches out there. Most were modified.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mellon
yep seth's car put down 310awhp on DLL.
OK. Now I KNOW he has more power than me.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Stock brakes, Mueller JIC FLTA-2's, rear bar.

I know most of the Porsches out there. Most were modified.
Okay, that makes a lot more sense. Something would have been fishy if that was on stock suspension...but I guess the stock Bremobs are definitely up to snuff, eh?
Old Nov 18, 2007, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

This thread has gone from great to retarded

To the OP, great job at Road Atlanta, and with family in that area I know I'll be there someday
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Coming from a Porsche fanatic, I know its more than entirely possible, I was kicking trash in my 272 whp Evo 8 against a lot of Porsches, definitely no heavily modded track prepped GT3s or anything (and no, not just Boxsters/Caymans either ) But with 150 more hp I could've easily out paced them, never got to try racing with any of them when I got slicks though. PCA has some lame policy against slicks (at least here in Utah), maybe its cuz they know that for 400 dollars more (cost of take-off slicks for me) I could've been kicking serious trash.

But at the end of the day. I'm glad to have my 996 C4 over the Evo, who cares which one was faster on track.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
BOTTOME LINE: For most of us, the Evo is the Poor Man's Porsche

I've been there done that too, been PCA for 11 years, etc etc bla, father and I have built and raced many Porsche's. Dollar for Dollar the Evo can beat the Porsche with any one of "us" driving. However obviously none of you have been actually watching any actual racing and too concerned with your own boasting to pay attention. If you check the Redline Time Attack events, Summit, which is VERY technical on both horsepower and handling just had their's. And whada know, a 993 beat out the argueably fastest Road Racing evo in the country, AMS's EVO. By 1 lousy second! Know what the best part about that is? It's a win for both. The Porsche is:

* Backed by engineers at JIC
* The engine makes over 600 awhp
* It has 3 turbochargers and 6 throttle bodies

The Evo is...well AMS, it's a bad *** for about half the cost. I was glad for both because i love both. The Evo is getting more and more respect now that the tuners have the program down to a science and the Track ****** who used to dominate are recognizing that.

Have fun out there and congratz on contracting the disease like the rest of us
Old Nov 19, 2007, 01:01 AM
Former Sponsor

99% of porsches at pca DE's arnt gettin drivin worth a flip..

so its tuff to get a good idea of what the cars are really capable of....
Old Nov 19, 2007, 04:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kingleh@GSC
99% of porsches at pca DE's arnt gettin drivin worth a flip..

so its tuff to get a good idea of what the cars are really capable of....
Yup, Driver is more of a factor in DE.

And Leh, I think we can find a silver porsche street car that would give this evo a hard time, dont you think?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by rsr14
Yup, Driver is more of a factor in DE.

And Leh, I think we can find a silver porsche street car that would give this evo a hard time, dont you think?
I want to see how fast Leh could get my car around Road Atlanta...I bet he could turn 1:30's or faster...not me, my ***** aren't that big and my skillz ain't that great.

Cleve

Quick Reply: EVO IX vs. Porsche Club of America