Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVO IX vs. Porsche Club of America

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2007 | 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by texrex2002
That's kind of dissapointing to hear. I do pretty well in my (stock) IX, and I've been attributing it to practice and effort. It sounds like to be considered a good driver you have to be quick in a car that's hard to drive.

I also don't get why everyone likes photos of cars up on 2 wheels after hitting the curbing. Not like the car is like that form cornering; he drove over the curb... I mean I know we can get away with doing that, but...

That's the fast way around the track. That is turn 3, I'm in 3rd, probably around 60-70MPH, I'll need to check the traqmate for the exact speeds.

Cleve
Old Nov 20, 2007 | 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cgmeredithjr
That's the fast way around the track. That is turn 3, I'm in 3rd, probably around 60-70MPH, I'll need to check the traqmate for the exact speeds.

Cleve
yeah, not bagging on your driving or anything. I do it too sometimes but I feel a little like I'm cheating

Old Nov 21, 2007 | 12:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Leh, the mods are on the first page. I met and spoke with you briefly at the PCA Club Race earlier this year at RA...the one where you were HAULIN some REAL BALLZ in the RSR, weren't you running 1:20's?

Cleve

oh cool... good to have met ya...

1:21s was what i was runnin...

1:20s wulda been mega warp speed...!!!!
Old Nov 21, 2007 | 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

You know you are going fast when cutting a second off your lap times goes from fast to mega warp speed.

Most of us are still in the "I think I can cut 4 or 5 more seconds off this track" area.

Congrats on the great runs against the PCA guys. I have to admit I was also stunned that my Evo was so competitive against the big boys but there is no question that the car with even mild mods is very very competitive.
Old Nov 21, 2007 | 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by texrex2002
I also don't get why everyone likes photos of cars up on 2 wheels after hitting the curbing. Not like the car is like that form cornering; he drove over the curb...

This was not from hitting the curbing (even though it looks like it)--and it's driving me nuts w/ inside wheelspin...

My car has Megan Coilovers as well--don't think the travel is long enough to compensate when the grip is this immense.

Good job on schooling the P-car contingent
Old Nov 21, 2007 | 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

I love the pictures a lot. Former Porsche 911 (964) Carrera 4 Cabriolet speaking(yours truly).

Yes, I can see the faces of the 993 and 996 Porsche owners trying to figure out how a boxy body sedan can pull away from a exotic ,slim, wide body coupe..

Your exhaust is killer also, I love it. Thanks for the pics

Carlos
Old Nov 22, 2007 | 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
I love the pictures a lot. Former Porsche 911 (964) Carrera 4 Cabriolet speaking(yours truly).

Yes, I can see the faces of the 993 and 996 Porsche owners trying to figure out how a boxy body sedan can pull away from a exotic ,slim, wide body coupe..

Your exhaust is killer also, I love it. Thanks for the pics

Carlos
Carlos,

That is the new Cobb exhaust...super fabrication, super quiet, and no performance loss compared to my TurboXS exhaust. I love it and so do my neighbors...really makes the car a sleeper.

Cleve
Old Nov 22, 2007 | 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Hmm GT2 back in the garage, 50Trim from AMS, Megan track coilovers?

Have they really turned around that much? Has the origional poster tried other suspensions on the evo? Motons, DMS and Ohlins come to mind.

Good job spanking the Pcars at their event though. Were the times from a Time trial class or just lapping?
Old Nov 22, 2007 | 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by heeltoer
Hmm GT2 back in the garage, 50Trim from AMS, Megan track coilovers?

Have they really turned around that much? Has the origional poster tried other suspensions on the evo? Motons, DMS and Ohlins come to mind.

Good job spanking the Pcars at their event though. Were the times from a Time trial class or just lapping?
Well, after spending $6K for Motons on the GT2, I thought I would try to do some "inexpensive" mods on the EVO. Almost every part on the car has been bought 2nd hand or at a good discount. The Megans actually work very well...I'm sure Motons would be better but for $870 delivered with camber plates...you can't beat the Megans.

The times I am quoting are not my "official" times (I did not have a transponder in my car), they are best guess estimates from Hank Cohn who I was playing with in the instructor group at the DE. He has a traqmate in his car and was turning 1:36s and he stated that I was at least 2 seconds faster than he was (his car is the track prepared Yellow 996 GT3 with Motons behind me in the photos...he is also a Pro driver). His traqmate data is on the traqmate website and is downloadable.

Cleve
Old Nov 24, 2007 | 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by kingleh@GSC
99% of porsches at pca DE's arnt gettin drivin worth a flip..

so its tuff to get a good idea of what the cars are really capable of....
Interesting comment, which may reflect on the purpose of a PCA Drivers Ed event. My understanding is a PCA DE has always been for Porsche owners to enjoy their cars in a safe environment at a reasonable rate of speed. They are not intended to be timed events, nor are they balz to the walls events. There are plenty of other venues to test skills and cars to the max like the HPDE's put on by NASA.

I don't doubt that any of the group five cars (other than the the slow cars purposely put into the group to keep the pace down) driven by J Jackson or a similar driver would have showed the slick little silver EVO their tailights. But again, not the purpose of a PCA DE.

Last edited by boxster; Nov 24, 2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2007 | 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by boxster
Interesting comment, which may reflect on the purpose of a PCA Drivers Ed event. My understanding is a PCA DE has always been for Porsche owners to enjoy their cars in a safe environment at a reasonable rate of speed. They are not intended to be timed events, nor are they balz to the walls events. There are plenty of other venues to test skills and cars to the max like the HPDE's put on by NASA.

I don't doubt that any of the group five cars (other than the the slow cars purposely put into the group to keep the pace down) driven by J Jackson or a similar driver would have showed the slick little silver EVO their tailights. But again, not the
purpose of a PCA DE.
Put Leh Keen in my car ("slick little silver evo") and it would take a lot more than Justin to catch him...Leh's a lot quicker than Justin. There were Pro drivers in group 5 and yes it is a DE, but we did have some open laps to play. Car will be back at RA on 12/1 if anyone wants to come play.

Cleve
Old Nov 24, 2007 | 07:22 PM

Put Leh Keen in my car ("slick little silver evo") and it would take a lot more than Justin to catch him...Leh's a lot quicker than Justin. There were Pro drivers in group 5 and yes it is a DE, but we did have some open laps to play. Car will be back at RA on 12/1 if anyone wants to come play.

Cleve
Justin or Leh, either one is quick, young and well off (no big worries about pranging the car!).

The point was directed at the comment made in the earlier post that none of the Porsches were well driven. I agree with Leh, and think that Justin or Leh, driving any of the faster cars in the group would have given the EVO a better run.

I enjoyed watching you zoom by and think your car is great!

Nothing in my garage comes close to the EVO so I will have to pass on coming to play.....plus my wife is dragging me off to visit relatives next weekend.
Old Nov 24, 2007 | 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

I have done 2 PCA DE's and have only seen a few folks who are not pushing their cars aggressively. Maybe they are not 9/10ths but I'll be darned if it's much less. The guys I see out there are interested in driving their cars the way god and Dr. Porsche intended.

Not only have the Porsche guys for the most part been great and very cool, they have been pretty gracious about putting up with other makes showing up at their DEs. They don't like Japanese cars quite as much but overall it's been a hoot.

I would also point out that if your at a two day event and your still there for the second half of day two, your not going to find anyone on the track who is not interested in flogging the he!! out of their cars. By that point of the weekend you can be sure that those still in attendance have their sleeves rolled up and are going at it a$$ over teakettle.

I also think a lot has to depend on what group one is in. I know until this last event, I was getting very tired of being the fastest guy in the group by a wide margin. Getting bumped up a group last time out however let me know two things. 1) The Evo is a crazy fast and capable chassis that just needs some gentle tweeks to be dominant and 2) The nut behind the wheel had better get his act together because my car is a lot faster than I am.
Old Nov 25, 2007 | 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

nice congrats... its fun hunting down p cars.....

n
Old Nov 25, 2007 | 03:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Well, after spending $6K for Motons on the GT2, I thought I would try to do some "inexpensive" mods on the EVO. Almost every part on the car has been bought 2nd hand or at a good discount. The Megans actually work very well...I'm sure Motons would be better but for $870 delivered with camber plates...you can't beat the Megans.

The times I am quoting are not my "official" times (I did not have a transponder in my car), they are best guess estimates from Hank Cohn who I was playing with in the instructor group at the DE. He has a traqmate in his car and was turning 1:36s and he stated that I was at least 2 seconds faster than he was (his car is the track prepared Yellow 996 GT3 with Motons behind me in the photos...he is also a Pro driver). His traqmate data is on the traqmate website and is downloadable.

Cleve
tell Hank i said hey......

i havent seen him in a while...

Quick Reply: EVO IX vs. Porsche Club of America