Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

From Evo to CRX-Video

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2007, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Evo to CRX-Video

First day witht he new car: Yes, I'm slow in it, yes, I drove poorly, did not use the whole track, slow entry speeds, etc...but I had a blast. The goal for the day was to just learn to "feel" the car. When I'm up to speed in this car, I will be faster than I was in the Evo. Just need a few weekends to test it. Great grip, excellent turn-in, very balanced car. Just need to correct all the errors listed above and learn to trust the car and keep it in the power band!

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/use...rcy_thillCRX2/
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Nice vid! Looks like a good session to me. Since I don't know the background on the car, care to share what you've done to it? I'm seeing almost 9k on the 5" there...
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

I bought the car as is, GSR motor, built, 214 WHP 2240 pounds with me in it, caged, ITR tranny and LSD, 225-50-14 tires, Koni 3011 suspension. Nice little car. I'm mostly ****ing at 8500 to save the motor...redline is 9200.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Percy that's awesome. I'd lose the stickers though and go with a sleeper look. (but that's just me...)

I've been thinking about getting a later model hatch with a GSR swap too, and trading off the evo.

I am tired of everyone saying the evo drives itself, and I guess I need a car that's harder to drive to feel like I've acquired decent driving skills. Plus I'm down with cheap and fast!!
Old Nov 28, 2007, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

That cross member of the roll cage would scare the crap out of me being right in front of me. Might want to at least put padding on it, in case of a crash your flailing arms might be better protected.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 06:57 PM
Account Disabled

Sounds pretty wicked when it comes up on the big cam. I'll bet it will be quick when you get accustomed to the car.

Have fun!
Old Nov 28, 2007, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

The crx looks incredibly fun to drive! From the way you descirbed your driving i was expecting to see a hack out there. I would agree that there is time to be made up in a few places, but for the most part you look like a pretty competent driver.

Gawddd i hate living in the northeast..... its going to be another 4-5 months until i see track time again. x 1x10^1000000
Old Nov 28, 2007, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

It's funny that you picked up some urgency when you had the Ford GT in front of you. You'll pick up a ****load of speed when you start running W2W next season. Good luck.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks,

No I'm confident of my driving skills. It was just my first 80 mins with a new car, first time in FWD with a car that has a 90 inch wheelbase and a buttload of power for it's weight (1:10:2 ratio)...I was taking it easy. On December 8 I go out for another day of testing, and I'll clean up the lines as well as keep my momentum through the corners. Regarding the comment about people saying the Evo is easy to drive... they are right. The CRX will be much more of a challenge, and I cannot afford to be lazy in it for a minute. The Evo lulls you into thinking that you are performing well, and consequently a lot often gets left on the table. Hey Jason, are you going to TT in the midwest next year? and yes, it was bit easier to keep my foot in it when I was chasing the ford!

Originally Posted by nick735
The crx looks incredibly fun to drive! From the way you descirbed your driving i was expecting to see a hack out there. I would agree that there is time to be made up in a few places, but for the most part you look like a pretty competent driver.

Gawddd i hate living in the northeast..... its going to be another 4-5 months until i see track time again. x 1x10^1000000
Old Nov 28, 2007, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Nice Runs, I bought my fit after my evo after feeling the turn in response stock. It totally reminds me of my old ef si. The suspension is built for now and my weights about 2350. All it needs now is power...
Old Nov 29, 2007, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Percywork

Hey Jason, are you going to TT in the midwest next year? and yes, it was bit easier to keep my foot in it when I was chasing the ford!
Probably not. I will be doing a full season in a SRF with SCCA. I may do an occasional NASA TT event, but I am also considering selling the EVO as you have done.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Barfly30
Probably not. I will be doing a full season in a SRF with SCCA. I may do an occasional NASA TT event, but I am also considering selling the EVO as you have done.
Good for you Jason! SRF is a good way to go. cheap, competitive.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

sweet vid. how much did a set up like that run you if you don't mind me asking
Old Nov 29, 2007, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

The competition is great with extremely tight racing. I did a 4 race event at VIR a month ago and will be kicking off 2008 with a Sebring event in January. I'm pretty excited.

Good luck next year. I'm sure we will cross paths.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OldschoolEVO
sweet vid. how much did a set up like that run you if you don't mind me asking

I would also like to know. My buddy just purchased a 91 SI and he wants to build it. I have also given thought to doing this. I would probably go the 91 Civic SI route as I am 6'5" but I have always wondered how much it would cost to build a somewhat competitive car from either of these chassis.

Any help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: From Evo to CRX-Video