Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

how to get my evO on a track

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2007, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would suggest that your first HPDE be with the Porsche Club of America's local chapter at a track convenient to you. Nothing really against NASA in general, but I found that NASA was a three-ring circus vs. the PCA events.

The pace at the PCA events that I attended was much more laid back and much less hectic than NASA. Instruction was excellent (both class and track) and although some events were pretty busy, overall there are fewer cars on the track than at the NASA events which gives you some breathing space on the track while you are trying to learn. You will still get 4-25 minute sessions per day, and usually the Sunday afternoon sessions are wide open as people head back home.

It may be different Regionally (maybe all the East Coast events are jammed packed) but at least that's been my experience out here in Nap-town.

Also, one key bit of advice....save up your money! Once you get more involved (which you will; I can virtually guarantee it) you will come to realize how much running your car at the track really costs.

It's worth every penny, but be prepared to set a budget
Old Dec 10, 2007, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

In the Midwest at least Chicago chapters you must own a Porsche to do one of their track days. Audi, BMW and F-Body clubs let you in. Again look into the Audi club first.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 06:41 PM
Former Sponsor

PDA (now part of NASA in name only pretty much) is the way to go in this part of the country as far I am concerned. Very well run.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
the ss break lines will give you better feeling or feed back when you braking.
don't jump over the tires. stock evo with good tires is a better set up then stock evo with upgraded breaks. You will learn more with tires then brake pads .
Old Dec 10, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

You wanted to know about HPDEs:

- HPDE = High Performance Driving Event
- PDX = Performance Driving Experience.

NASA calls it HPDE, and SCCA calls it PDX. As already noted, they are pretty similar. Since i run with NASA, i have no issue recommending them. NASAs HPDE program is divided into 4 groups. HPDE 1 being the new comers, and HPDE 4 being the advanced drivers. You start off in 1, where you are assigned an instructor. The instructor works with you all day. They sit with you and also drive your car. In time, you gradually move up in run groups, from 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and when youre ready, you get to run in 4. Although, all of this is evaluated by NASAs written approval.

Some people like NASA, others dont. All of this in a way depends on your region. In some regions NASA is extremely popular, which results with many drivers, and in some regions not so much. Beyond their HPDE program, they also have a TT series (Time Trials), and a Racing series. Simply put, their TT series is a stepping stone into wheel to wheel racing.

After having competed in their TT series this past season, and having done many events with my Evo, i still feel like a noob because there is so much to learn. I realize that now, more than ever. Just because someone is running in HPDE 4, or even if theyre competing in TT (like me), or racing wheel to wheel, does not mean theyre some amazing driver. If anything, when you start competing you realize that you need to start learning in a completely different manner. Moving on, how i drive on the track never transfers over to how i drive on the street. So if you think you know how to drive based on your street driving style, you are in for a big surprise. I do not know a way with which i can articulate this in a fashion that you are going to understand. If this is something you really get into, you will learn in time on your own. The best advice i can give you is what i tell everyone, ie take a step back, and dont rush into anything. Mods are not going to make you a better/faster driver. Whats going to make you a better/faster driver is you, and a ton of seat time.

Regarding safety, sure, you are taking a major risk every time you go to an event. No matter how organized and regulated events are, there is always a possibility that something can/will go wrong. You said youre 21, youre not quite financially stable, and youre making payments on your Evo. Then perhaps, its best that you not take your Evo to the track. As much as it sucks to hear that, its something you need to think about. Certain corners on certain tracks are infamous for wrecks. The last time i was at Buttonwillow, a track here in California, i lost count but there were a handful of people who crashed into a very famous wall. You do these events long enough and youll understand that its no joke, and some day it might very well be you.

You have to understand that its difficult responding to threads like this, because as you can see, there is so much info to cover. I can probably sit here and type pages of info, but i wont. And imo, an overload of information may not be the best response. When youre a noob, imo, the last thing you want is to overwhelm your brain with a ton of info, because youre probably going to end up confusing yourself. On top of that, youre going to have many people with different levels of experience responding. So that will probably add to the confusion also.

The best thing you can do is have someone, or an Evo specific shop who is into Motorsports, check out your car before you do your first event. Have them check your pads, and if theyre ok, then run what you have. There is no need for you to spend money on new pads/rotors if what you have is in good condition. I ran my first 7 events with my Evo on OEM Pads, OEM lines, OEM rotors, OEM tires, OEM everything. Save your money...you will understand that, along with everything else, in time. Also, have them flush your fluids. If theyre a reputable Evo shop, theyll know what to do. Beyond that, id say think things through, and if youre ready to take that step, go sign up for a NASA event and take it from there.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

I agree there is nothing wrong with the OEM parts but as I boiled the fluid at BeaveRun and lost pedal I decided to never have that sort of issue again. I went overboard to correct the issue but fresh fluid and better pads will give you 95% of what I have now.

As for Porsche club, I track with them regularly and have done events with a few chapters. Every chapter seems to do things a little differently and I like some more than others. I can also tell you that dudes who spend a lot of money on bad german cars HATE to have you beat their *** in a Japanese 4 door. Nuff said.

One other thing that I would say is that I also felt a TON of nervous energy and still get that. I know going out at MidOhio still gives me the giggles and my last event there was on a beautiful fall day with golden leaves falling and blowing across the back straight as I kicked them up in my wake at 135mph. It was so beautiful that I almost cried. I'm misty now just thinking about it.

I'm honestly happy for you and wish you all the best. I still think you should strongly consider the drive to Beaver and get a hotel for the weekend. I have done a good number of events to this point and can say without reservation that the One Lap event was far and away the best. As a matter of fact I would love to see a sea of Evos there next year. Lets all meet up! What ya say guys?

On a side note. I always get a treat out of two day events with a lot of new guys. I feel pretty confident from the way you talk that your dying to get on track and your going to love it. For some reason however when you get out to an event you may start with 20 guys in your run group but by the end of day two your lucky to have 8 or 9 on track. Things open up and you can just fly without worry of getting close to anyone or having any trains (where one slow dude who has no idea how to give a pass sign keeps 4 or 5 faster cars behind them for a lap or two).
Old Dec 11, 2007, 07:38 AM

Here is a write-up I did for fellow enthusiasts in the central Illinois area. Just replace the local stuff with clubs/tracks from your area, and call it a guide.

you can find local tracks from the interactive map at www.trackpedia.com

Thought I would post this FAQ to help anybody interested in taking their car to the race track (one with turns) but didn't know where to start or what is required. If anybody has suggestions, contributions, questions, etc. post up!

Q. What kind of events are you talking about?

A. Well, there are quite a few different types of events that involve driving your car on a road course. Here are some examples:

HPDE's - My main focus of this FAQ will be HPDE's or High Performance Driving Events/Education, which can also be considered a driving school. These are non-competitive events and timing equipment is usually prohibited. Most groups (novice, intermediate) only allow passing with a "point-by" (driver in front signals that it is OK to pass him/her). Some events welcome any/all brand of cars, while others are marquee-specific (like club events).

Car club driving events - These are HPDE's hosted by a non-profit car club such as BMWCCA or other marquee clubs. Some events are open to other brand of cars, but all will require a membership to their national organization and sometimes a pledge to the local chapter. Other events limit the participants to a specific marquee or give their local members first dibs at registration.

Most HPDE's and club driving events offer some sort of instruction, be it classroom-led instruction and/or an in-car instructor. If you are planning your first event, MAKE SURE some instruction is available for first-time track drivers. Naturally, some events have better instruction than others.

Time Attack or Solo I - This is a timed (competitive) event that involves a road course instead of a parking lot with cones. Most parking lot autocross is called Solo-II and a road course autocross is called Solo-I. From the name "solo", these events are just you against the clock, without any overtaking (passing) or other cars to trade paint with. Also, the safety requirements for Solo-I is usually less than it would be if you were going Wheel-to-wheel (w2w) racing. Here is a local organization that hosts Solo-I events in the Midwest.

Stepping up the ladder is wheel-to-wheel racing, which exponentially increases the cost, risk, committment, and amount of prep required. W2W racing is beyond the scope of this FAQ, but some racing links are provided at bottom of this post.

Q. What kind of race track are you talking about?

A. This FAQ deals with road courses, you may see these types of race tracks while watching a ALMS or Speed World Challenge race on TV. Most road courses are usually between one to four miles long and have somewhere between 9 to 14 corners. Most tracks are permanent fixtures (i.e. Road America, Autobahn CC, Blackhawk Farms), some are paved infield connected to an oval (sometimes called rovals, see Gateway International Raceway), and others are temporary circuits made from roads or airstrips for the weekend of racing. Most of these events I am talking about are on permanent courses or rovals.

Q. What tracks are in our (Central IL) area?

A. See my links near bottom of post (Near-by Tracks)

Q. Is this racing?

A. No. Track events are usually considered drivers education or driving schools. One train of thought is that a school or drivers education would be more likely to be covered by your auto insurance.

Q. How different is this from autocross?

A. You will reach much faster speeds at HPDE and get a lot more seat time. Typical DE's get between 90-120 minutes of driving per day (where autocross is about 5-8 minutes). You WILL use more brakes at a DE, you WILL do more shifting.

Autocross skills are a great foundation for road courses.

Q. Where do I sign up? What groups/companies run these events?

A. See the Driving School links near bottom of post. Also see if your brand of car has a car club and regional chapter.

Q. When should I register?

A. Most events fill up really quick... get your applications in ASAP! Try sending in your registration the first day you can.

Q. How much does it cost?

A. It varies. I have seen events range from $175 to $350 per day. Depends on the track too... a course like Road America or Road Atlanta will be more expensive than a smaller track (like Autobahn or Blackhawk)

Q. When is the next event? How can I find a calendar of events?

A. Couple of ways.

1. trackschedule.com
2. Check local car club and driving schools for upcoming schedules (see links at bottom)
3. Check the track's calendar on their web sites, sometimes you can see who is renting the track and maybe join
4. Check other forums with a track section (i.e. bimmerforums)

I plan on putting together a thread with upcoming HPDE events soon. Keep an eye out for it.

Q. My own car? What are the requirements?

A. Depends on the organizers, but there are usually some common requirements:

1. Brakes in great shape and recent brake fluid FLUSH (not just bleed)
2. No play or bad bushings in your suspension
3. no noticeable fluid leaks
4. Battery must be secured
5. Working brake lights
6. Windshield wipers and no major windshield cracks

Also, some events offer rental track cars or there might be nearby companies/people who will rent track/race cars for the weekend (but usually not cheap, expect to pay $300+ per day)

Q. Any special apparel or equipment needed?

A. Yes, you need a helmet. I highly recommend a Snell SA2000 or above. Some events/tracks allow motorcycle helmets (snell rating starts with M instead of SA) but others do not. For example, Motorcycle helmets are not allowed at Putnam (track rule). Expect to pay about $260+ for a decent helmet.

You will need close-toed shoes and long pants. Most events require a long-sleeve shirt too. Optionally you can bring some gloves (I use some old batting gloves, works just fine!)

Q. How fast do you go?

A. Depends on the track and car. I hit ~130 mph on the back straight at Road Atlanta. Would expect that or close to it on either straight at Road America next time I visit. Just depends on the car and the track.

Q. Sounds dangerous... will I crash?

A. Accidents DO happen! I have seen cars get totalled. It happens. How often? About 50% of the events I have been to have had atleast one major crash. Some BMWCCA weekends at Road Atlanta can claim 5-6 totalled cars in two days! Nuts. Just know your limits and dial it back a lil bit. I try not to exceed 8/10ths and take a gradual approach to exploring the limits.

Q. What if I crash my car?

A. I have heard some insurance companies will cover it, some won't. State Farm is supposed to be pretty good about it, but don't quote me.

Q. How can I be best prepared?

A. Leave your ego at home, especially for your first event. It's not a contest and no winner/loser unless you crash (definate loser). There is a lot to learn and might be initially overwhelming all the things you need to do at once (like heel-toe shifting)

Ways to be prepared - I highly recommend the book "Speed Secrets" by Ross Bentley before your first event. This book will give you some foundational concepts
so you can more easily follow along with what your instructor is saying.

You can learn/practice heel-toe shifting before your first event. It's a lot easier to learn this on the streets than under the pressure of your first track day. Also, practice your rev-matching as you want to do this on both up and downshifts. (less disruptive to your drive wheels, which may be near their limits of adhesion). Also, get in the habit of accelerating through your turns (slow in, fast out) and NOT braking in the turns (brake before the turn). Practice being smooth with your inputs. Do not abruptly lift the throttle during cornering, etc. (hint: read Speed Secrets)

Q. What is Heel-Toe shifting?

A. I'm glad you asked.

In a nutshell, its downshifting (and rev-matching) WHILE you are braking for the next turn. Here are some how-to's that should help:

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving..._heeltoe.shtml
http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/heelandtoe.html

Q. What should I bring on track day?

A. Plenty of fluids (not beer), a folding chair, tire pressure gauge, some windex and paper towels (for cleaning the windshield), maybe a 12V air compressor if you have one. Torque wrench to make sure the lug nuts are on tight (only when the hub is cooled down)

Q. I don't have a car for this, what are some cheap recommendations?

A. Check out GrassRoots Motorsports magazine. Some good choices on a budget would be Miata, 240SX, BMW 3-series, RX-7, GTI, Corvette, plus many more.

Q. Any track you recommend for a first event? What is your favorite track?

A. More important, find an event with great instruction for your first one.

Additional Links and Sources:
Sports Car Club of America
TrackSchedule.com
GrassRoots Motorsports magazine
MotorsportReg national calendar

Driving/Racing Schools:
Track Time Inc. Driving Schools
Panoz Racing School
NASA HPDE Program

Near-by Tracks:
Autobahn Country Club Joliet, IL
Gateway International Raceway roval in E. St. Louis
Blackhawk Farms Raceway near Beloit, WI
Putnam Park Mt. Meridian, IN
GingerMan Raceway in South Haven, MI
Grattan Raceway in Belding, MI
Road America in Elkart Lake, WI

Local car clubs or chapters:
Midwestern Council Sports Car Club
Wisconsin BMW CCA
Chicagoland Chapter Audi Car Club
Central Division SCCA
Windy City BMW CCA
Midwest NASA

Marquee specific clubs:
BMW Car Club of America
Audi Club North America
Phil Wicks Driving Academy (mostly geared towards Mini's)

Any questions, post up!
Old Dec 11, 2007, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Tons of info to scour threw way cool! thank you all for being so kind to a noob such as myself. I have been throwing the heel toe around turns locally and it is coming along. Sometimes i mash the brake way too hard ... eh Ooops !

Seriously thank you evoM members for the time and thought you put into these responses with your guidance I have found my self in a far more educated, good position. I am more knowledgeable then just a few days prior. Now when the time comes; instead of wasting my money on power mods I will be saving it for HPDE car club and track fee's, helmet, brakes, ss brake lines, performance brake fluid, tires, rotors things that mean better enjoyment of the car I already have. I do not need it to be faster just more predictable sticker and safer. I've been playing Gran Turismo for ever and have alwasy thought of that type of racing as just a pure expression of reality. Carving lines at velocity threw space and time flowing freely with no restraint......other then concrete walls

My next adventure is suspension. camber? toe? are all new to me. I want to learn about what makes the car behave in certain ways. What is what and how it affects traction stability and over all performance. I bet this suspension stuff gets pretty complex? I am a math major so perhaps i can figure somethings out. My brother is an engineer and can explain weight distribution and load bearing structural support. You held my hand this far ah haha, any links to point me into the suspension arena?

Last edited by incandescent; Dec 11, 2007 at 07:08 PM. Reason: toe is on my foot lol :D
Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your next adventure is track time. You won't touch suspension or power...only brakes, and that's just for safety. After you've learned to drive and max out the potential of the stock suspension, then you will decide where to go from there based off your goals and abilities.

PS. Your foot has a "toe," not a "tow" - just in case you never put 2&2 together on that...

Last edited by Warrtalon; Dec 11, 2007 at 07:07 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

I totally understand that I will be doing nothing but maybe brake pads to my car for the track. I am just interested in suspension setups thats all I think its cool.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

They are very cool, very complicated, and the most important aspect of making your car faster around the track - right up there with tires. Of course, improving the driver is ultimately the main factor for the whole unit to go faster, but suspension is most important for the car itself.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A very cheap mod that I found to be very worth the while was a CG-Lock.

You can get them on ebay for $25. It locks the seat belt making it function more like a harness. Its alot easier to drive when you aren't fighting to stay in place.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Good call and good investment.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

+1. I use a CG Lock, since mine is a street car with no rollover protection and thus no harnesses.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

I see we still agree to disagree on that point. =-)

The CG Lock is a quality device and worth every penny!

Quick Reply: how to get my evO on a track