Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

how to get my evO on a track

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2007, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to get my evO on a track

I live on long island. I own an 04 evo 8 that i love. I feel the car is made for tearing corners mercilessly. I could care less about straight line drag racing. My question is how do i get me, in My Evo, on a real race track (ie: limerock etc..)
Im considering cams and can not justify them if I can not take them on a track, im still trying to see if auto-x would be avaiable around me. I would need new tires after how many seesions you think?
do I need some form of license? Or could i join say, the bmw car club of america and go to there track days?

thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll have to wait for race season, but you can do auto-x or track days by just signing up and going. There's no prerequisite. For auto-x, you just go and compete. For track days, you just check the schedule and join an event with NASA, BMWCCA, PCA, or anyone else who has a novice class for teaching newbies how to drive. There is also plenty of auto-x in your region - tons actually. Just go to the SCCA.com site and click on the Regions button. You would not need to worry about tires with autox unless you run in a race tire class. You don't wear out street tires with short 40-60-second runs.

Btw, cams should have no bearing on your track time. Power is not at all important for getting on track, and it's probably best to have as little power as possible.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

I would suggest you look at the NASA site, and start from there. They will provide plenty of instruction. Btw, you dont need cams to put your car on a track. Modify yourself first.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Home
http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/

Read this
http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/inde...id=5&Itemid=81
Old Dec 9, 2007, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Hey thanks for your time guys.

The car has the usual bolt ons, turbo back exhuast, intake and ic pipes, and mbc. You are right cams are not my top priority to getting myself on a race track. The reason i mention cams is being how they would be a christmas present. I want to get some mod for my evo for christmas seing how the evo is a main focus of mine. Even tho I know modding it further, would need justification in my eyes. Street racing is unfair to myself and the pople around me so gettin big old 272's or 280's cams and pulling srt 4s on the highway is not fun to me.

I have always always wanted to track the evo it was a main reason i bought it and i will do so.

hrmm i duno if i should get the cams ...
The links you have proivided me i should get some great info. I m gona check em out

Thank you for the info!

Last edited by incandescent; Dec 9, 2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

You don't need the cams at all. If you're going to track the car, you need to first invest in upgraded brake pads, stainless steel brake lines, and upgraded brake fluid. Also, use some of the cash for SCCA and NASA annual memberships.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frmMain.Show
Old Dec 9, 2007, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Im deciding to have my gift be a trip to a high performance driving school! Im going to try and find one at Lime Rock if there is one. This being due to its close proximity to me. Ill take a ferry over to connecticut and drive from there. Pocono raceway seems to have a lot going on there in terms of schools but its farther. If i could get a truck and a trailer I can really get this thing occurring regularly.... I'm still young, I cant wait untill I can afford to make this a true weekend hobby!
Old Dec 9, 2007, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

You shouldn't need a truck and trailer unless you're making this a dedicated track car. The vast majority of us just drive our street cars to events and drive home, even those of us who compete at a very high level. Of course, at some point, it's better to have a truck and trailer, but that's not particularly easy or cheap.

BTW, an HPDE is one thing, but an actual performance driving school will be several thousand dollars. Is your Xmas gift that big?
Old Dec 9, 2007, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

about 1,000 is what i will have as a gift the rest i can come up with. I am really excited I was vaguely aware of these forms of things but as i read the info the more enthralled I become. An HPDE will allow me a good amount of track time with an instructor or at least some of it with an instructor right?

If you don't mind, what are the differences between an HPDE and a performance driving school? It seems to me that nasa northeast has an HPDE at somewhat of a regular interval at lime rock park. (based on the 2007 events) This will be the raceway I will attend so long as an hpde is really what I'm looking for.... A place to be instructed in my own car at a raceway on how to make the car perform to the best of my and the cars abilities. I hope to do this a few times until i can just go to track days with a car club.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

There is no need for you to go out and purchase a truck and trailer. Take a step back for a moment. Be patient and think things through. Go out and run a few events with proper instruction before you spend a great deal of money into something you have no experience with.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Your right tho i do sound a bit forward in my post so oops ;D
However, I'm totally not thinking about going out and buying a trailer I'm only 21 and not making all sorts of money yet. I was speculating on the future at the end of that post... "i cant wait until i can afford to make this a weekend hobby" A hobby to me is something i do very often. In my mind a truck and trailer will be great as i would be towing the car to raceways and my families house in PA often. Instead of putting miles on it but that would be down the road. I must first try this sport out!
Old Dec 9, 2007, 08:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by incandescent
about 1,000 is what i will have as a gift the rest i can come up with. I am really excited I was vaguely aware of these forms of things but as i read the info the more enthralled I become. An HPDE will allow me a good amount of track time with an instructor or at least some of it with an instructor right?

If you don't mind, what are the differences between an HPDE and a performance driving school? It seems to me that nasa northeast has an HPDE at somewhat of a regular interval at lime rock park. (based on the 2007 events) This will be the raceway I will attend so long as an hpde is really what I'm looking for.... A place to be instructed in my own car at a raceway on how to make the car perform to the best of my and the cars abilities. I hope to do this a few times until i can just go to track days with a car club.
As far as I know Lime Rock will not have as many HPDE events next year because they are becoming a private club next season. There is a track being built in NJ right now and Pocono is always fun. Watkins Glen is awesome but a little further away. You will have an instructor with you during the HPDE's for as long as you want. PDA/NASA HPDE has 4 run groups, you move up as you are ready. I don't know anything about performance driving schools where you drive your own car but the HPDE instructors will teach you all you could ever want to know about safely going fast on a road course including classroom instruction. Welcome to your new addiction, enjoy.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zl1560
As far as I know Lime Rock will not have as many HPDE events next year because they are becoming a private club next season. There is a track being built in NJ right now and Pocono is always fun. Watkins Glen is awesome but a little further away. You will have an instructor with you during the HPDE's for as long as you want. PDA/NASA HPDE has 4 run groups, you move up as you are ready. I don't know anything about performance driving schools where you drive your own car but the HPDE instructors will teach you all you could ever want to know about safely going fast on a road course including classroom instruction. Welcome to your new addiction, enjoy.
Arghhh i do hope Lime Rock offers some hpde's in 2008.... if not I hope i can become a member of there "club" and perhaps get some instruction that way. I do not want to drive more then 2 hours one way to a race way so lime rock is my best bet. Since you too are on long island what track(s) do you frequent?
Old Dec 9, 2007, 09:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by incandescent
Arghhh i do hope Lime Rock offers some hpde's in 2008.... if not I hope i can become a member of there "club" and perhaps get some instruction that way. I do not want to drive more then 2 hours one way to a race way so lime rock is my best bet. Since you too are on long island what track(s) do you frequent?
Pocono is only two hours away (I live in Bellmore) and has the most HPDE days. Watkins glen is 5 but well worth the trip. Unless you have an extra $100,000 laying around club membership at Lime Rock is not an option. A road course is being built in NJ right now and will hopefully be completed for the end of this season.

Quick Reply: how to get my evO on a track