Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Optimal suspension settings for snow driving?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2007, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Optimal suspension settings for snow driving?

Rally/Rally-X drivers can chime in, but I was wondering what's the optimal suspension setup for great traction in snowy conditions? Stiffer shock settings in the front? More air pressures up front both promoting understeer? Wintercrossers/ice drivers where you at?
Old Dec 14, 2007, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Long and soft.

As I recall we most often run about 32-35#s of air in the tires but those numbers will very based on tire and how you are driving.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

I have a road racing suspension setup and was wondering if I can adapt the setup for snow/ice crosses... my spring rates aren't that stiff 560lb fr/rr... I can rotate just fine in snow, maybe a little too much... trying to find that happy medium... any tips appreciated, thanks...
Old Dec 15, 2007, 02:15 AM
Evolved Member

As I recall the springs we run at snow drift are around 125lb/in.

I would say your tires are your biggest investment. Go to "special stage" rally forums and try to find someone who will "tractionize" tires for you if you can't run studs and if you can find someone who will sell you a set of those who runs the type of event you want to run. If you are serious about this consider some brakes that will let you run 15" wheels and tires and go skinny on the wheels and rubber.

If you can't get some soft springs just buy a throw away set of stock dampers and springs and go with those. Dial down the hp as even stock evo power will be overwhelming for most situations.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would say your spring rates are a little too high for ice/snow driving. Rally-X setups tend to have spring rates that are 1/2 of what you have on. You'll run out of traction way before your have to deal with body roll. Lower spring rates and lots of travel is what you should be more concerned about. It won't also hurt to run much narrower gravel/snow tires to help improve traction. Road race/auto-x setups compared to Rally-X/Snow-X setups tend to be on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Dec 19, 2007 at 08:50 AM. Reason: grammer
Old Dec 18, 2007, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Probably will go back to stockers then for snowcross... plus this salt will eat my dampers up...
Old Dec 23, 2007, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

I would also suggest a rear diffuser to keep the snow from packing in under the bumper. It would get so bad on my car the rear would sag 1.5". Spend your money on some 5 inch wide rims first. Unless you go to a specific rally shock with more travel, stock is best. I've tried stiffer springs, swaybars, and different rake. Stock was best control with 1 degree negative in the front and o rear. No toe. 32 psi was slightly better traction but my tires rubbed so I stick with 35. Whiteline roll center kit and a works plate added a little understeer that I'm trying to get out of the car right now. Might try a little toe out this week. I can test everday in my own neighborhood(closed course, of course) .
Old Dec 24, 2007, 08:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by LanEvoNine
I have a road racing suspension setup and was wondering if I can adapt the setup for snow/ice crosses... my spring rates aren't that stiff 560lb fr/rr... I can rotate just fine in snow, maybe a little too much... trying to find that happy medium... any tips appreciated, thanks...
easiest way is to disconnect your sway bars (just one side per bar needed so its quick).

For a good compromise set-up for road race and snow/gravel/ice consider softer springs (275f/325r or so) and some big bars (front and rear) then you can disconnect the bars in the Winter for soft conditions and connect them in the Summer. Obviously the bigger the set of bars you choose the bigger the difference disconnecting or connecting them so the softer you can go on the springs and still maintain a dry track worthy set-up. Good shocks with a good range are a must to get the most out of such a wide set-up window, in the soft you want almost no low-speed damping and in the dry you need quite a bit (for instance).