Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Decent track suspension..?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2008, 08:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, I should have said "I wouldn't want them on anything but something super wide and sticky as hell."

I've seen 12k/14k stiff *** coilovers with 245 Falkens (all seasons).....weak!

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Jan 2, 2008 at 09:11 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTLocke13
Why closer to 3.0? The added spring stiffness will get you better body roll characteristics,
Pretty much. It's how you want to control the roll. Big springs little bar, little springs big bar. With a big rear bar you're probably going to lift a wheel. I've never minded it in a 2wd car, but in an AWD car I haven't found that behavior to do any good.

The SM Evo I mentioned earlier had 650/550 springs (I think) and the *** end hopped its way through sweepers until you put the power down. Don't know what NF that translates to though.
On my car that would be 2.6 hz front, 2.2 hz rear.

2.2 front, 2.5 rear would be 450/675.

d

EDIT: as for hopping though sweepers, my car would do that when I had JICs. I am convinced it was the excess bump damping. I set it to be just right in slaloms then it would skate right through a long, steady state turn.

Last edited by donour; Jan 2, 2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
I've seen 12k/14k stiff *** coilovers with 245 Falkens.....weak!
- Andrew
It's funny you say that because those are very close to the rates of the top running Evos and STis at nationals in STU (245 width tires).

d

Last edited by donour; Jan 2, 2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 09:09 PM
Former Sponsor

You know....i typed that, then i remembered that Dave Mac had rates right around there with his RE-01R's. And we helped set up his car. Oops!

- Andrew....should have said Falken FK451's or whatever their crappy all season tire is. I have seen that and that's what I meant!
Old Jan 2, 2008, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmm... I know the guy who won the Pro this year. I don't think he's running quite that high. He won't tell me of course (well, I haven't really asked), but just from watching his car all year long, I don't think his rates are that high.

It actually does make sense to control roll with the springs. I think the key is getting the geometry right. I'm building my car for BSP (or maybe ASP by the time I get there), so my only option is camber plates to correct the roll center. I'd like to see what zzyzx comes up with for their design. I hope its something like the DMS plates, which are freakin awesome.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
You know....i typed that, then i remembered that Dave Mac had rates right around there with his RE-01R's. And we helped set up his car. Oops!
LOL. I'm his competition (well, not really they way I drive). You were trying to trick me!

should have said Falken FK451's or whatever their crappy all season tire is. I have seen that and that's what I meant!
Haha. The sidwall has a lower rate than 12k.

It actually does make sense to control roll with the springs. I think the key is getting the geometry right. I'm building my car for BSP (or maybe ASP by the time I get there), so my only option is camber plates to correct the roll center. I'd like to see what zzyzx comes up with for their design. I hope its something like the DMS plates, which are freakin awesome.
It's so much simpler. ZZYZX doesn't even make plates. You can use any off the shelf plates. Slam it all the way inboard to raise the roll center. The bottom eccentric bolt provides _positive_ range to get the static camber back where you want it.

d
Old Jan 2, 2008, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by donour
It's so much simpler. ZZYZX doesn't even make plates. You can use any off the shelf plates. Slam it all the way inboard to raise the roll center. The bottom eccentric bolt provides _positive_ range to get the static camber back where you want it.

d
I just ran across a couple of posts of yours on the IWSTI board. I'm preaching to the choir here. The more I learn about these things the more I want them.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 09:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by donour
LOL. I'm his competition (well, not really they way I drive). You were trying to trick me!
haha....well Myles (owner of GTWorx and Racecomp Engineering) will be outdriving....i mean codriving with Dave Mac this year. Actually Myles is a track guy and just in there for fun and to keep his skills fresh since he's like a million years old.

Looking forward to seeing how you like the zzyzx stuff by the way. Definitely post your impressions when you get them.

- drew
Old Jan 2, 2008, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

I just ran across a couple of posts of yours on the IWSTI board. I'm preaching to the choir here. The more I learn about these things the more I want them.
I know, right? It's a steal, but there's no buzz on evom about them. As far as I can tell I think mine will be the first evo set -- with every bell and whistle. The best thing of all is the support. You should see my inbox. I have pages and pages of crazy ideas and questions to steve.

d
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have also traded some email with Steve but became disinterested after thinking that he was going to have the same problems with rust and corrosion that the DMS 40s did. Now I find out that they are cadmium plating everything and powdercoating what they don't plate.

I'm about this far away from placing an order.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

I'll probably be waiting until this summer to order a set. My car is sidelined for this year, since my clutch bumps me to BSP but I don't have any of the go-fast bits to go with it. I'm co-driving an AS Solstice for this season instead.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Rear Sway Bar.

That post kind of confuses me. Tuning an adjustable sway involves putting the links in one of several holes. You don't need a suspension guy for that. Unless he meant he had the ECU tuned? EDIT: I think I just figured it out. Alignment.
What is there to get all confused over? Its really not all that complicated. He asked a question. I quoted the particular question i was going to respond to. Rather loosely speaking, he wanted to get our perspective on a few issues. He mentioned John Mueller in a few posts, and that he was probably going to have him set his car up. The way he spoke of him i suspected that he has been in contact with him. If not, he knew enough of him to mention what he did about him. Since John is the individual who has set my car up, i felt i could be of service by providing some info. And so i did. It didnt seem like he was asking questions about equations and constants, so i kept it rather simple. If he wants more details from me he is welcome to pursue it, and i will do my best to help answer his questions.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

My confusion is how a suspension guy sets up a stock suspension. There's nothing to adjust, other than alignment.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

My confusion is how a suspension guy sets up a stock suspension. There's nothing to adjust, other than alignment.
You should see what they do to get camber out of a stock 911. Suffice it to say, I was able to do 28's or 29's at Willow in basically a stock 3.2L with sway bars, AND NEVER ROLLED THE TIRES. I ran that car in a "Production" class, and prolly will never run a stock-ish class again with a car I give a crap about. It's funny (if it's not your car), but they beat the living poopie out of the thing to get settings that you'd normally never see in a stock car.
Old Jan 3, 2008, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

BTW, I would read up on suspension tuning a little bit. Its really not that difficult. You can have your car tuned by the professionals, but you may need to tweak it for different surfaces. You need to know how to fix it when its behaving badly. Dennis Grant's web site is a good starting point, but there is a ton of information out there.

For instance, you'll probably want to upgrade to an adjustable rear sway bar, and possibly upgrade the front as well. Any of the various bump steer correction kits is a must if you're lowering the car and tracking it. The front roll center correction kit from Whiteline I hear is pretty good too. The same effect can be gotten with camber plates, but then you need two camber adjustments, one at the plate to correct the roll center, and one at the spindle mount to correct the camber.
Yeah, I know enough to make me dangerous to myself. I can make sway bar adjustments to cure over/understeer, but that's about as much as I wanna do. I want to use a guy that knows the proper ride height, damping/spring rates, proper camber/toe settings etc.. Being this car is just for me to go flog for fun, I don't wanna try to figure a bunch of crap out, that someone already has. I'd rather pay someone knowledgable about the car to get me there.

Quick Reply: Decent track suspension..?