Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Decent track suspension..?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2008, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've installed the Robispec KWs on my Race Lancer. The shocks work great both on the track and street, and can handle big spring rates with no problem. They also have a pretty wide adjustment range, so you won't have to buy new shocks if you stiffen up the springs or go racing.

They are certainly just as good if not better than the similarly priced Ohlins, DMS, and Koni options. Note that KW does custom valve the Robispec products, so not all KWs are alike.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
My thoughts:

KW - Very good inexpensive 2 way. Streetable, great on the track, lots of adjustments to play around with. Very hard to beat performance per dollar. Robispec uses these and so do we. Our most popular coilover. And lots of happy BMW and Porsche guys use these. Do not come with top mounts.

Cusco - Best I've seen from Japan. Yes they use Showa dampers which is a good thing. Really sucks they aren't rebuildable in the US though. Still short on travel like most Japanese stuff, but not as bad. Come with top mounts.

- Andrew
I was looking at the GTWorx.com website and was looking between the KW and the Cusco coilovers for STU class autocross. Mainly interested in these two choices because of their relatively reasonable price of about $2000. I'm not 100% sure which ones to go with yet.

Any input? I'm leaning towards the KWs. Also you say the KWs do not come with top mounts but in the picture they show them with mounts. Perhaps that's just for demonstrative purposes?

What do I need to buy to make these work? Do I just buy a set of front camber plates or what? Then just use the OEM rear plate or what? Sorry - I don't know much about this.

Thanks!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Evo_Someday; Apr 11, 2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

IMO, it's at least as imporant if not more so to buy your kit from someone that can set it up for you. You put the stuff on your car yourself, and you could very well end up with something that doesn't work worth a ****, plus most people have different likes/dislikes, and getting it set up FOR YOU is key. Being able to take your car to someone who can do that is hugely important. There's lots of vendors on here that'll sell you suspension, but there's very few that know anything about it. Some of them posted in this thread, so I would suggest finding one close to you, and going with what they sell. Mueller is 20min. from me, so I went with his JIC's, and had him install and set up the car. I am convinced I could have spent the same amount on higher quality pieces, but would of ended up with something that didn't work nearly as well because it wasn't set up by someone who know's what they're doing.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fastkevin
IMO, it's at least as imporant if not more so to buy your kit from someone that can set it up for you.
Thanks for the advice.. Though my thoughts were to put decent hardware on the car THEN find someone to help me set them up. But I see your point. I'm going to need some help making it work right anyway. Might as well start there rather than end there.