Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2008 BSP Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to the rulebook, Mike's Rexspeed lip would be considered a spoiler since it is a cosmetic addition and does not have an effect at Solo speeds. Plus his spoiler does not extend aft of the forward most portion of the bumper.

The Seibon IX lip is pretty damn close to extending aft of the forward most portion of the bumper however, is only a cosmetic piece and adds no performance advantage at Solo speeds.

One thing to consider if you have a VIII bumper is that the IX bumper sits slightly lower than the VIII bumper and with the addition of the Seibon or similar spoiler the ground clearance between the bumper would be VERY small.... something to consider since SP allows update/backdate.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I. Spoilers/splitters and cosmetic trim pieces are permitted. Side
skirts may not be used. Spoilers/splitters must comply with the
following subsections. The intent of this allowance is to accommodate
commonly available appearance kits, and replicas
thereof, which have no significant aerodynamic function at Solo
speeds.
1. A spoiler/splitter may be added to the front of the car below
the bumper. It may not extend rearward beyond the front
most part of the front wheel well openings, and may not
block normal grille or other openings, or obstruct lights.
Splitters may not protrude beyond the bumper. Openings
may not be used for the purpose of ducting air to the radiator
or oil cooler, but they may allow air to flow through a permitted
oil cooler provided no ducting is used. The spoiler may
not function as a wing.

Originally Posted by evo8dad
According to the rulebook, Mike's Rexspeed lip would be considered a spoiler since it is a cosmetic addition and does not have an effect at Solo speeds. Plus his spoiler does not extend aft of the forward most portion of the bumper.

The Seibon IX lip is pretty damn close to extending aft of the forward most portion of the bumper however, is only a cosmetic piece and adds no performance advantage at Solo speeds.

One thing to consider if you have a VIII bumper is that the IX bumper sits slightly lower than the VIII bumper and with the addition of the Seibon or similar spoiler the ground clearance between the bumper would be VERY small.... something to consider since SP allows update/backdate.
The spoiler/splitter DOES extend forward beyond the bumper, doesn't it? I think the problem here is that the definition of spoiler and splitter are not defined, therefore he leaves himself open to protest and open to the judgement of the protest committee. . .

I think if it could be considered a splitter in any way then it would be illegal . . .

The way the above rule is written, it appears that they consider a spoiler and a splitter one-and-the-same as they refer to them as a "spoiler/splitter" rather than a "spoiler and a splitter" or a "spoiler or a splitter" . . .

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Dec 23, 2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. MR
My latest question, can I eliminate my Mass Air Flow sensor in BSP?
Mike,

I was thinking about this one. I am quite sure it can be eliminated/replaced.

15.9.A
Any ignition setting, adjustment, or system may be used, subject
to the requirements of 15.10.D. This does not prohibit the use of
‘two-step’ rev limiters used when the car is stationary.

15.10.C.1
Carburetors, fuel injection, and intake manifolds are unrestricted,
subject to 15.10.D.

15.10.D
Traction and/or stability control systems, as defined in 12.11,
must be standard parts at standard settings, or electronically
disabled.

TRACTION/STABILITY CONTROL
A system that adjusts engine power, braking force, or torque distribution
when wheelspin, understeer, or oversteer is detected or predicted.
Conventional limited slip differentials (e.g. viscous, passive
clutch, helical/worm gear, locker) are explicitly excluded, but “active”
differentials
and their controllers are included.

It looks like these sections give pretty much free reign on the engine management system. I am quite sure you can run alternate engine management like AEM EMS, Megasquirt,etc. In my mind it also allows replacement of any item used in the fuel injection/engine management system. For example MAP, MAF, cam position, crank position, etc.

Anyone else (Marshall, Jarrod) see this differently?

Old Dec 24, 2008, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

^ Hey John, that is what Adam thought. We want to use EcuFlash with a speed density sensor in place of MAF. No AEM here...

I was incorrect in saying I used to run the Rexpeed lip, nice memory I have. I actually had the JDP last year (JDP DOES have stock mounting tabs as I explained previously). I ordered the Rexpeed this time to match the spoiler on back that I have which is a 2 x 2 weave (screwed myself if there are no tabs for undertray, never ASSUME). Anyhow, I attached a picture of each lip to try and understand if they are legal or not. Basically they are take offs of the Ralliart lip. I definately can tell from pictures that either lip does not extend past bumper, if looking at dead center. I am not sure about the sides, where it seems the bumper tapers in toward car and the lip extends out.
Attached Thumbnails 2008 BSP Discussion-evo3.jpg   2008 BSP Discussion-mygd.php.jpg  
Old Dec 24, 2008, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr. MR
^ Hey John, that is what Adam thought. We want to use EcuFlash with a speed density sensor in place of MAF. No AEM here...

I was incorrect in saying I used to run the Rexpeed lip, nice memory I have. I actually had the JDP last year (JDP DOES have stock mounting tabs as I explained previously). I ordered the Rexpeed this time to match the spoiler on back that I have which is a 2 x 2 weave (screwed myself if there are no tabs for undertray, never ASSUME). Anyhow, I attached a picture of each lip to try and understand if they are legal or not. Basically they are take offs of the Ralliart lip. I definately can tell from pictures that either lip does not extend past bumper, if looking at dead center. I am not sure about the sides, where it seems the bumper tapers in toward car and the lip extends out.
Take a straight edge, let it hang down vertically, and then move it over the outline of the bumper. If the lip sticks out farther than the bumper then it's not legal if it can be considered a splitter. If it can not be labeled as a splitter, but rather a spoiler, then it is legal . . . . THIS is where you need to get some clarification . . .

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Dec 24, 2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Take a straight edge, let it hang down vertically, and then move it over the outline of the bumper. If the lip sticks out farther than the bumper then it's not legal if it can be considered a splitter. If it can not be labeled as a splitter, but rather a spoiler, then it is legal . . . . THIS is where you need to get some clarification . . .
i don't see where you can install a spoiler infront of the bumper. I only see that you can install one "under" the bumper. I can't come up with any definition of under that means in front of.

having looked at installing a splitter in detail, the bottom of the evo 9 bumper is the furthest out point. so anything that sticks out past that is going to be protestable unless it is a factory part, in my opinion.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by kekek
Mike,

I was thinking about this one. I am quite sure it can be eliminated/replaced.
{snip}
Agreed. maf is optional.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Here's the problem with the MAF subject - since SP follows ST and stock allowances with it's own exceptions, there is nothing that specifically says the MAF can be modded or removed. Under section 14.10.C it specifically says it can not be modified, which SP has to adhere to since there is no exception in place. Please though correct me if I'm wrong as there is power to be had removing it.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8dad
Here's the problem with the MAF subject - since SP follows ST and stock allowances with it's own exceptions, there is nothing that specifically says the MAF can be modded or removed. Under section 14.10.C it specifically says it can not be modified, which SP has to adhere to since there is no exception in place. Please though correct me if I'm wrong as there is power to be had removing it.
Adam,

SP allows Stock allowances plus everything allowed in the SP section. It does NOT allow ST mods.

As for the MAF being legal it is due to section 15.10.C.1 which I posted above. The MAF is directly involved in the fuel injection system and can be removed/replaced. Seriously, you can run any engine management you want, even the ones that go so far as to replace crank sensors and all that other stuff.

Marshall is pretty **** regarding his rules interpretations and I tend to agree with what he has to say, so I think you guys are in the clear with pulling the MAF. If you are really still not sure about doing it send an email to the scca. I think you want to contact Doug Gill. I'm sure Marshall or Jarrod know exactly who.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

edit ^^^ what he said.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Huh, cool. Its always good to have multiple sets of eyes reading that stuff Looks like I'll be adding that to Mike's ever growing list....
Old Jan 3, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

I just sent a letter to the SEB asking for a clear definition between "spoiler" and "splitter" in regards to the front of the vehicle.

Hopefully it will clear some thing up

-Mike B
Old Jan 3, 2009, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

double post

Last edited by SmokingTires; Jan 3, 2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Hey, do we need a 2009 BSP thread? We're only up to page 43 for '08.