Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

SCCA Rallycross beginner

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2008, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCCA Rallycross beginner

Hey all. I'd like to get in to some SCCA Rallycross events this year (I'm in the Washington DC area) and wanted to get a little information. I'm curious as to what type of suspension improvements I should look at. Currently I'm completely stock so I have a clean slate. I'm assuming a decent set of coilovers or springs and possibly other mods. One thing I'd like to throw out is that I would like to be able to adjust the ride for an event then back to street use without having to swap parts out. I'm not sure if this is just wishful thinking or not but thought I'd throw it out there. Now this is not the full out anything goes competition so I really don't need the $5k DSM coilovers. I thought though that some of you guys here might have some creative ideas for me. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 17, 2008, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

Welcome to rallycross! You'll love it. I have been rallycrossing my stock suspension evo for several years. I know this doesn't answer your coilover question, but I would suggest some spare wheels and tires instead. Snow tires work great in various types of terrain. You really don't want to lower ride height, as it puts expensive parts closer to ruts, rocks etc. I always think it is better to drive what you have and as you progress, improve as you feel fit. Plus an extra set of tires are nice insurance if you blow a tire (it will happen), unless you are trailering the car. Are you going to summit point, with the dcrally.com group? I hear its a great course.

P.S. buy a pressure washer
Old Jan 17, 2008, 06:26 AM

Thanks! Yes, I was heading to Summit Point. Looks like they've done some good work out there. I was definitely thinking of the extra rims/tires so I'll be looking into a set. As for the suspension, I really wasn't looking to lower the ride and much as raise it a bit or get something with a better spring rate to maintain traction better.

However, if you're running on the stock suspension that would be a great option for me. Do you find yourself bottoming out or having any clearance problems running stock?

Edit: yeah I already got the pressure washer lol
Old Jan 17, 2008, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

I have Hotbits DT2 double adjustables on my car that I got from Davenport Racing (http://www.davenportracingusa.com/) for RallyX and I love them. They run a bit over $2K for the set and are completely rebuildable for $65 a corner. If you want single or no adjustment, they're even cheaper. We run on pretty rough courses and I would back off to save the stock struts and front lip, but now I can pretty much stay on the gas which makes me happy. The front OEM spring rate is way too floppy for RallyX in my opinion.

If you RallyX on fairly smooth surfaces, I'd just leave the ride height stock since it's going to be a pain to adjust ride height on all 4 corners and you'll need to have the car aligned every time you change ride height. I only raised my car 0.5" and I just tickle the bump stops up front. For spring rates I'm right around 350lb-in both front and back. Even with those fairly soft rates, the ride on the street is pretty bumpy if that's a concern to you.

Here's what they look like with the optional spherical bearing top hats:

Here's the car:
Old Jan 17, 2008, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

The stock suspension is very very good. Run it until you can't any more.

Many rally cars run very soft springs (close to stock rates) with extra travel and much more sophisticated dampers. Nice long soft springs with a little preload and dampers with stout bumpstops will let you yump all day with narry a care in the world and as I understand it you can't yump... so in short, your gonna be fine.

I second snow tires on cheap beat up rims. Snow tires use a very soft rubber which you want and the tread will flex. The sidewalls will be a little soft but so be it... enjoy.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

WheelGap brings up a very good point about alignment and adjustment. I have never bottomed out on the courses around here. Not sure what summit point is like, but other courses in this area are fairly smooth. Though, I have built a skidplate just incase. Seems the consensus for you is too stay stock and drive the ****. Go to the rallycross and see what the others are doing, IIRC most guys did not have rally suspension (unless they were full fledged, caged, stage rally cars). Focus your attention elsewhere, like left foot braking and pendulum turns.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 08:13 AM

Great info guys, thanks! I think I'll head out to one and see how it goes. I have some extra winter tires so at least that will work. Besides, if I trash my stock suspension I'll just have to upgrade!!
Old Jan 17, 2008, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thepunkinator
Great info guys, thanks! I think I'll head out to one and see how it goes. I have some extra winter tires so at least that will work. Besides, if I trash my stock suspension I'll just have to upgrade!!
You'll know if the OEM suspension isn't up to the task -- when you bottom out the front suspension hard it sounds like the front turret is going to explode, it's really loud.

You might want to think about getting mud flaps if you decide you like RallyX -- and you will, believe me -- to put the paint on the side of your car in less peril. I got RallyArmor flaps which are fairly reasonably priced.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Make sure you clean your intake filter frequently, it gets pretty dusty along with your engine bay...
Old Jan 17, 2008, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WheelGap
You might want to think about getting mud flaps if you decide you like RallyX -- and you will, believe me -- to put the paint on the side of your car in less peril. I got RallyArmor flaps which are fairly reasonably priced.
Probably the best advice yet. The soil around here has a lot of gravel/pebbles in it. Sounds like the car is being pelted with marbles.

Also, when it is hot out be sure to run the A/C on recirc. Although you will never get rid of all the dust/dirt this will save you a lot of mess. Rallyx: the gift that keeps on giving.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 11:50 AM

Mud flaps! Good call! I hadn't even thought of that. I checked out the Rallyarmor ones and they seem really reasonably. I'll go with a set definitely!
Old Jan 23, 2008, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

I have 8 rallyxs on the stock suspension at this point with no real issues. Get your skills honed before going out and spending the money on coilovers, brakes and gravel rims. Stcok suspensions are also pretty cheap to pick up used should you mess something up. My car is about to roll over 100k and I've swapped out the front struts/springs witha set of stocks I bought for $200 from the forum. Still have the rears in the basement as I haven't needed to change them yet.

An extra set of rims with snows should do just fine. I would suggest some form of plate as well. I have the beatrush plate but it takes a real pounding and I have to bend the brackets back after each event. There are some guys out of Conn that are making one for me this year that will work better.

I also second keeping the filter clean, dust will coat the thing fairly quickly if the events are dry and dusty.

Main thing is enjoy yourself and get your skills built before spending alot of money on parts. The Stock car is plenty good for Rallyx with some snow tires. good luck!
Old Jan 25, 2008, 08:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran with stock suspension so far in Stock All wheel drive with no problems. It think the best use of money at the start is entry fees, extra tire/wheel set, a 4 point harness, and increased maintenance (power washing, oil changes, trans fluid changes, etc)

At the nationals the ruts caused me to bottom out and move the rear facia a bit but no biggie. All of the events I have been to (detroit, minneapolis, st. louis, homestead, and hastings) are not really rough enough to be concerned about damage to the car. I think loud thuds from suspension compression are not a problem for the Lancer as it was designed for this situation, full compression that is.

The events out west near the rockies, I hear (that means only hearsay), are very rough. From what I have heard I probably would not even compete in some of them. A guy in a Jeep Cherokee said he bottomed out at one point denting his oil pan.

The event coordinators are still learning how rough is ok. The SCCA is trying to make the events accessible to stock cars, not just ex-WRC Focuses so stories like the ones I heard about on the west side should become historical learning notations.

Oh your car will never be clean again and unless you have the time and energy to take the whole thing apart there will always be a pound of sand, dirt, stones, etc packed into the chassis, SOMEWHERE!

Last edited by detroit evo; Jan 25, 2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by detroit evo
I ran with stock suspension so far in Stock All wheel drive with no problems. It think the best use of money at the start is entry fees, extra tire/wheel set, a 4 point harness, and increased maintenance (power washing, oil changes, trans fluid changes, etc)

Oh your car will never be clean again and unless you have the time and energy to take the whole thing apart there will always be a pound of sand, dirt, stones, etc packed into the chassis, SOMEWHERE!
Very true, on both accounts LOL, I have dust covering the washer fluid tank in the trunk, like a quarter inch worth !
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

This sounds very interesting. I was considering starting into auto-x though. Either way, do you guys have any information on the DC region SCCA? I can get a packet from them but I'm going to have to wait for them to mail it out. When are events going to start opening up? Anyone know? I checked their websites and the calender is blank. Not sure if someone is dropping the ball on the website maintenance or if there really isn't anything going on anytime soon. Also, anyone know how to sign up for (or schedule a) PDX sessions? I got an email back from the DC SCCA saying they did away with the HPDE and replaced it with PDX (incase anyone was wondering what that is).

Hope i didn't inadvertently hijack the thread, this seemed relevant to the topic. Any info is highly appreciated. I'm still leaning towards auto-x to start off (less damage to the exterior of the car). But ultimately, rallyX and road coursing in the next couple years.

Quick Reply: SCCA Rallycross beginner