Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Trying Hoosiers after Running R-Compounds?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2008, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donour
Richard

Are you dead set on the hoosiers? I know a lot of the local T1/z06 guys prefer the v710. They get a lot longer wear out of it as opposed to the R6 (or A6). I have data to show that a good driver can drop a 1:29 (shaved RA1)to a 1:26 (v710) on our local roadcourse.

d
What track is that?

Times are relative. Also keep in mind that X amount of time on track 1 does not = X amount of time on track 2. Also like RA1 to NT01: some may be faster on NT01s (as a driver) than being able to get the most out of an RA1, when both tires are able to produce similar times.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stuntman
What track is that?
As you can see I'm in albuquerque. If you take a minute to search the internet, you'll find there's only one roadcourse nearby, which the original poster and I have already discussed in the past.

http://www.sandiamotorsports.com/

Times are relative. Also keep in mind that X amount of time on track 1 does not = X amount of time on track 2. Also like RA1 to NT01: some may be faster on NT01s (as a driver) than being able to get the most out of an RA1, when both tires are able to produce similar times.
Of course. I was just providing what limited feedback that I can. As another point of reference, my SCCA STU prep'd Evo does 1:32.9xx on RE01R street tires. Of course with temperature, YMMV. My point though was I have full data logs if anybody wants to look at it.

d
Old Jan 18, 2008, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

As you can see I'm in albuquerque. If you take a minute to search the internet, you'll find there's only one roadcourse nearby, which the original poster and I have already discussed in the past.

http://www.sandiamotorsports.com/
Never heard of it.
Of course. I was just providing what limited feedback that I can. As another point of reference, my SCCA STU prep'd Evo does 1:32.9xx on RE01R street tires. Of course with temperature, YMMV. My point though was I have full data logs if anybody wants to look at it.

d
I'd like to have a glance...
Old Jan 18, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stuntman
Never heard of it.
I'd like to have a glance...
Send me a PM about what you want to see. I have literally hundreds of logs.

d
Old Jan 6, 2009, 01:16 AM
Evolving Member

sorry this is alittle of topic but, will white lines roll center correction kit be able to handle 255+ slicks?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

The Hankook 245/40/17 Z-214 work really well on the stock rims. I use the C50 compound here on the east coast to try to match the compounds temp. requirements. I also run Toyo R1R 255/40/17 for my "rain" and street tires and have had no fitment issues. Last season I ran thru a set of Bridgestone RE01 in a 245/45/17 also with no issues. All the tires listed have to do double duty..Track + AX. For what it's worth........Pete
Old Apr 29, 2009, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Partially due to the NASA TT contingency by Hoosier, I just ordered a set of Hoosier R6's.

For those that have ran the R6, what starting and hot temps do you run?
Old May 20, 2009, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Partially due to the NASA TT contingency by Hoosier, I just ordered a set of Hoosier R6's.

For those that have ran the R6, what starting and hot temps do you run?
lol....Not much help since I posted this question in April!

I ran these for the first time this weekend. With ambient temp around 65, I ran them about 36psi hot on Saturday, and upped them to about 38-39psi hot on Sunday. I don't take tire temps, so no idea there.

Overall, I gained 1.1 seconds on a 1.8 mile course. This was going from a 255 NT01 to a 245 R6 on a 17x9 rim. However, I think a lot of that is from further studying my traqmate data and finder a bit better line through a few of the corners.
In saying that, I wasn't crazy impressed with the R6's. I think I might have overdrove them a little and greased them up trying to squeeze out more time on Sunday. Anyone have any advice on how best to extract the maximum grip (pressure, camber, technique) out of these bad boys?
Old May 20, 2009, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

lol....Not much help since I posted this question in April!

I ran these for the first time this weekend. With ambient temp around 65, I ran them about 36psi hot on Saturday, and upped them to about 38-39psi hot on Sunday. I don't take tire temps, so no idea there.

Overall, I gained 1.1 seconds on a 1.8 mile course. This was going from a 255 NT01 to a 245 R6 on a 17x9 rim. However, I think a lot of that is from further studying my traqmate data and finder a bit better line through a few of the corners.
In saying that, I wasn't crazy impressed with the R6's. I think I might have overdrove them a little and greased them up trying to squeeze out more time on Sunday. Anyone have any advice on how best to extract the maximum grip (pressure, camber, technique) out of these bad boys?
Youre right, its a total misconception that one is going to be significantly faster by throwing on "slicks." You learned first hand that its not that simple. Setup, tire pressures, temps, the track, and driving style all play a role. I can tell you one thing for sure, for TT, the A6s are definitely faster than the R6s. If you want to win (looking for every last tenth), you will have to run the A6s.
Old May 22, 2009, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bueller
Youre right, its a total misconception that one is going to be significantly faster by throwing on "slicks." You learned first hand that its not that simple. Setup, tire pressures, temps, the track, and driving style all play a role. I can tell you one thing for sure, for TT, the A6s are definitely faster than the R6s. If you want to win (looking for every last tenth), you will have to run the A6s.
That's what I hear about the A6's too. If I can get some more contingency tires at the next event, I might pop for the A6's next time.

From what I'm reading and playing back in my mind - I think I drove the R6's a bit too sloppy. It's hard to find the 'edge' in these as their so quiet! I can feel them sliding from time-to-time but it's difficult to gauge.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

That's what I hear about the A6's too. If I can get some more contingency tires at the next event, I might pop for the A6's next time.

From what I'm reading and playing back in my mind - I think I drove the R6's a bit too sloppy. It's hard to find the 'edge' in these as their so quiet! I can feel them sliding from time-to-time but it's difficult to gauge.
So just loaded up my R6's for the weekend. They've been (covered) in my garage for about 2 months. They were all about 10-15psi so I aired them all up. Is this normal? They were stacked up in a corner.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

From my experience with hoosiers (oval track) and slicks in general they will loose a bit of air over time and I've been told its because the rubber is slightly porous so the air actually leaks through it. Nothing to worry about just make sure they're filled each time you head to the track.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

So just loaded up my R6's for the weekend. They've been (covered) in my garage for about 2 months. They were all about 10-15psi so I aired them all up. Is this normal? They were stacked up in a corner.
Thats normal. Dont quote me on this, but i think the guys at Hoosier recommend to air out the tires if youre going to store them mounted for a long period of time. Check with them to make sure, but i remember hearing that somewhere. Btw, were you able to get your OEM boost lines sorted?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bueller
Thats normal. Dont quote me on this, but i think the guys at Hoosier recommend to air out the tires if youre going to store them mounted for a long period of time. Check with them to make sure, but i remember hearing that somewhere. Btw, were you able to get your OEM boost lines sorted?
I'll ask the Hoosier tire guys this weekend at the track - and report back.

Yep, got the lines I needed - thanks. Did I mention that about 2 hours after I paid Mike I found my original stockers? haha. Well, I've got a backup now!
Old Jul 17, 2009, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

I'll ask the Hoosier tire guys this weekend at the track - and report back.

Yep, got the lines I needed - thanks. Did I mention that about 2 hours after I paid Mike I found my original stockers? haha. Well, I've got a backup now!
Hah, sometimes backup parts are accumulated by misplacing the original one.

Quick Reply: Trying Hoosiers after Running R-Compounds?