Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Trying Hoosiers after Running R-Compounds?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bueller
Thats normal. Dont quote me on this, but i think the guys at Hoosier recommend to air out the tires if youre going to store them mounted for a long period of time. Check with them to make sure, but i remember hearing that somewhere.
I ran this question past Havor Motorsports - our NASA Midwest trackside support guys and they said not to worry about it.

They did confirm that losing some air while sitting over time is normal. Just air them back up and head back out! They also reminded me about keeping them out of the sun and out of the cold temps in winter but I think we've covered that (still a PITA though).

Moving on - what's the magic # of heat cycles for R6's to still be in their prime? I've read anywhere from 6-12 from different people with different weight vehicles.
I've got 12 cycles on mine now! I'm thinking about knabbing some A6's next...
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Moving on - what's the magic # of heat cycles for R6's to still be in their prime? I've read anywhere from 6-12 from different people with different weight vehicles.
Bump for feedback.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can run them until they cord, but theyre fastest when theyre new. If were talking NASA TT sessions, i would say it depends on if you run the entire session, and how many sessions you run. If youre running 4 sessions a day, and running pretty much the entire session, 1 weekend is the limit. Meaning, they will be at their prime just that weekend. You can run them maybe another day after that, but they wont be competitive.

If youre running really short stints, 3-4 days at the most. But like i said earlier, they will be at their fastest when theyre new. Youll notice when they start to fall off. However, this also depends on the track and weather. As you know, some tracks are really hard on tires, where others arent as much.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bueller
You can run them until they cord, but theyre fastest when theyre new. If were talking NASA TT sessions, i would say it depends on if you run the entire session, and how many sessions you run. If youre running 4 sessions a day, and running pretty much the entire session, 1 weekend is the limit. Meaning, they will be at their prime just that weekend. You can run them maybe another day after that, but they wont be competitive.

If youre running really short stints, 3-4 days at the most. But like i said earlier, they will be at their fastest when theyre new. Youll notice when they start to fall off. However, this also depends on the track and weather. As you know, some tracks are really hard on tires, where others arent as much.
If I know a track, I'll only run 3-5 laps total per session. Just get in a few hot clean laps and pull off. Been trying to come real close to my min weight as much as possible - last weighed I had 8 lbs to spare which is nearly perfect!

My next event is at a brand new track, so I really have no baseline for grip levels or laptimes. I was planning on getting a set of A6's but nobody seems to just forward with feedback confirming they are faster.
Assuming I get the A6's, I'd save them for 1-2 sessions a day and run the R6's to death probably.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I've seen and heard on here lots of feedback for the a6's, they'll be a second faster then the r's if you treat them right.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
I've seen and heard on here lots of feedback for the a6's, they'll be a second faster then the r's if you treat them right.
Does treating them right mean just running 1 hot lap?

I assumed it meant proper pressures, break in, storage and not running a full 20-30mins. But can I get a couple laps before they go 'off'?
Old Jul 30, 2009, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does treating them right mean just running 1 hot lap?

I assumed it meant proper pressures, break in, storage and not running a full 20-30mins. But can I get a couple laps before they go 'off'?
I covered the general info in my email. But yes, you should be able to get a few laps before they fall off. And even if they do fall off, its temporary. You can do an easy lap and they will come back. Or, you can pull into the pits and give it about 2 mins. Or, you can just focus on laying down the fastest laps you can in that 6-8 min hot lap range and then simply end your session. However, keep in mind that this also depends on the track. Some tracks are easy on tires, where some are not.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Pretty much. Most have had success doing the 1 slowwww warmup 1 hotlap maybe 2. Remember they're made for 30 second low speed autox so they Grrriiiiipppp right away because they heat up very quickly, and as a result overheat just as quickly.