Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

who flips their NT01's around?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why would the write "inside" and "outside" if it didn't make a difference?
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Because if you run them in that orientation they will work better in wet conditions.

If you flip them they will not be acceptable in rain or on wet surfaces.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:50 AM

inside/outside is used in reference to tread design ; once tread depth is under 4/32nd , I dont think it matters as much.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

fair enough, as long as it's not due to sidewall.... but I suspect many are hoping for the best instead of stating based on fact here.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 04:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dsycks
Because if you run them in that orientation they will work better in wet conditions.

If you flip them they will not be acceptable in rain or on wet surfaces.

Nitto states these tires are asymmetrical therefore rolling direction should not be an issue in the rain.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 05:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gemini
inside/outside is used in reference to tread design ; once tread depth is under 4/32nd , I dont think it matters as much.
If the tire is asymmetrical, non directional, (and I’m pretty sure they are) then that is not what those markings indicate. If the tire tread design was directional then the sidewall would be marked with directional arrows. I have always been told that the inside and outside markings found on asymmetrical tires has to do with the internal structure of the tire. Meaning the tire was designed from a performance standpoint to have a certain sidewall facing out. Nittos are new to me, maybe for these it makes no difference but I would question anybody for an in-depth explanation if they said there was no performance difference based on sidewall orientation.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 05:39 AM

I think most tires marked inside/outside has tread design where tread block have less grooves (for less tread squirm) towards the outside edge. I could be wrong but based on observation it appears that most tires marked with inside/outside are dry perfomance tires and tires with rotational directions are wet and dry performance tires.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sponge bob
Nitto states these tires are asymmetrical therefore rolling direction should not be an issue in the rain.
Sorry Bob.

asymmetrical: adjective. 1: not symmetrical

Symmetry has less to do with rain performance and more to do with one side of the tire looking or not looking like the other.

A big part of rain performance has to do with the ability of the tread pumping the water away from the center of the contact patch. If one runs a rain tire in the wrong direction it will pump the water into the center of the contact patch. This, is not good.

With this said, please do not confuse the NTO1s with full on rain tires. They have very large blocks and are less than ideal for such use but I am quite sure that if you run them at full tread in the wrong direction in the wet they will be far worse than they would otherwise. After they have been shaved or worn down however this should be far less an issue because at that point they are in effect a slick.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rain issue does not make sense. First...they are great tires...but not in rain. Second, they are already flipped no matter what., One side of you car is the opposite direction as the other. Since you are supposed to have the big blocks on the outside, and they do not make a different left and right tire, that means to keep the big blocks outs, the left is running the opposite direction of the right no matter what. The real question here is the side wall. If the inside side wall is weaker, then that is an issue. I can check directly with nitto on this
Old Jan 24, 2008, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CharlesJ
The rain issue does not make sense. First...they are great tires...but not in rain. Second, they are already flipped no matter what., One side of you car is the opposite direction as the other. Since you are supposed to have the big blocks on the outside, and they do not make a different left and right tire, that means to keep the big blocks outs, the left is running the opposite direction of the right no matter what. The real question here is the side wall. If the inside side wall is weaker, then that is an issue. I can check directly with nitto on this
It makes a difference because of the static camber. In a straight line, the car is putting more of the tread on the ground on the inside. I also think it makes a difference whether the water is evacuated to the outside of the tire or the inside.

Also, on some street tires, they use different compounds across the tire. I know the Michelin PS2's do this. The outside blocks are made of a dry grip compound and the inside blocks are made of a wet compound. Flip those tires around and they'll handle like crap in the rain AND the dry.

I guess the point with the Nitto's is, once you've worn them down past the asymmetrical part of the tread, they're no longer asymmetrical tires and you can flip them around.

Last edited by GTLocke13; Jan 24, 2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTLocke13
It makes a difference because of the static camber. In a straight line, the car is putting more of the tread on the ground on the inside. I also think it makes a difference whether the water is evacuated to the outside of the tire or the inside.

Also, on some street tires, they use different compounds across the tire. I know the Michelin PS2's do this. The outside blocks are made of a dry grip compound and the inside blocks are made of a wet compound. Flip those tires around and they'll handle like crap in the rain AND the dry.

I guess the point with the Nitto's is, once you've worn them down past the asymmetrical part of the tread, they're no longer asymmetrical tires and you can flip them around.
All true...i was just referencing the direction of rotation, but yes the thread is different side to side. As stated it is a inside/outside tire, not directional
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CharlesJ
All true...i was just referencing the direction of rotation, but yes the thread is different side to side. As stated it is a inside/outside tire, not directional
wow, now you have me confused.

I am not rotating the tires, I am taking them off the rim and putting them back on reversed (so it will say "outside" on the inside afterwards).

Is that what we're still talking about?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:11 AM

I am not rotating the tires, I am taking them off the rim and putting them back on reversed (so it will say "outside" on the inside afterwards).

Is that what we're still talking about?[/QUOTE]

The way I read his post, I believe that he is still talking about the same thing...you should be fine with flipping the tires on wheel.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Got confirmation directly from Nitto that there is no problem with doing this and the sidewalls are the same. I was told that the only possible negative affect would be decreased turn in. The problem is greater the more tread is showing. If there are no tread blocks, its basically no difference
Old Jan 24, 2008, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

One side note is that from my experience, the tire is working best when wearing evenly. I ahve run these tires at -3/-2 camber with zero rear tow and +1/8th front with even wear on the track. I have never had a need to flip them, just swap them front to back.

Quick Reply: who flips their NT01's around?