Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Front aero rework

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2008, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Front aero rework

Had an incidient the other weekend that resulted in my beatrush undertray being bent up, the front lip being ripped halfway out of the bumper supports, and the front bumpter supports (the pastic holders for the tiny a** screws) for the lip being mostly broken across the passanger side. No it wasn't a wreck, I hit a low spot turning around in a dirt driveway, then an hour later at Roebling Road, the beatrush tray acted like a parachute and ripped the rest off when I got around 125mph on the straight.

So it's current form is being held up by duct tape and plastic ties (like a real race car ), but since the plastic mounts for a "new" lip (if i were to get one) are broken as well, and since the lips generally cost the same as a bumper, why not just get a new bumper that offers more aero.

So, which ones are you generally using? Which one offers the most "useful" space for cooling and functional downforce without looking like super rice?

Car's purpose is currently HPDE/TT/DD

So far i'm liking the C-West one, and the undertray that cwest offers with it. I have the AMS brake duct kit, so i'm also looking at integrating that into the new bumper if it has the acc spots for it.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 01:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pictures of the carnage?
Old Feb 25, 2008, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

You couldn't tell really because the tape is grey and the car is grey, however under the car is a different story lol.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in the same boat. First I just used a little silicone adhesive to button up the partially ripped off stock lip, but then I had another incident... and it's "talking" again.
I assumed that the tabs on the lip were broken and the bumper tabs were intact, but now that you mention this, I better check. I might just have to leave the lip portion off or get an aftermarket bumper too.

To address your bumper options:
The most popular and more easily available ones are CWest, APR, Chargespeed, Voltex, Ings, and Varis, more or less in that order.

C-West is functional and looks good with the stock side skirts or full kit. The fitment and quality of C West is also very good, and should also be excellent with most of the others.

The Gialla bumper has also grown on me.

I think it's the HKS Kansai one that is on the GSC/STiKiller Black Evo which is pretty nice.

Another clean, simpler, and less expensive fiberglass bumper is the Version Select. You can see this bumper on the Works Evo in pics from a few years ago, and the older deep red VIII from AMS. PM me if you want me to email you pics.

I just found out this morning that there is a new design coming out from a good quality supplier that will be pretty affordable. I haven't seen pictures yet though, and it's not quite in production yet.

If you look at the "time attack evos" thread in the show and shine section you will see just about every aftermarket front bumper available.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 04:37 PM
Account Disabled

The Cwest and Gialla are nice front bumpers, but be advised it entails the removal of the front beam as it is JDM spec.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
will the c-west fit on a evo9 , because i too have broken my front SE lip
Old Feb 25, 2008, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

One thing to note is that fiberglass sucks. It gets chipped and cracked SO easy.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Indeed on the JDM spec crash beam, however i've heard that if you get it from C-West usa, they spec a particular version that will fit with minor adjustments. I've yet to confirm any of this, regardless i'll make it fit even if i have to use no beam or find a JDM beam. Same goes for the rear JDM bumper when that time comes.

In looking at the C-West undertray, it looks like it bolts directly up to their rectangular slots on the bottom, the redirects that air to the right and left of the car (brake ducts anyone?). That would be SWEET once i see one, however a call to C-West reveals a 6 to 9 month wait time on those

As far as the fiberglass/plastic combo chipping, I have some "chipguard" that I will be mixing with the clearcoat and base paint to attempt to prevent as much rock chips as i have currently (especially from 345 spec tires on the back of those damn Corvette road blocks )

So i'm thinking the C-West front clip, then Canards at later date, then lower tray at later date, and i'll be set for some serious time attacks on the front and start to test out the rear

Last edited by Balrok; Feb 25, 2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Balrok sounds like you are after a functional setup. Please let us know what you end up with, and share some PICS of how it all comes together/fits under the car.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I had an offroad excursion that resulted in the need for a new bumper/aero I went with the stock 8 bumper with the Autovation splitter and I will install Buschur's undertray soon.

Good luck!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

APR does have a Evo 9 style bumper with molded lip that their front splitter works with? I was considering this option with some APR canards....

4cdndctn -

This the autovation splitter you talking about?

http://www.autovationparts.com/store...shilancer.html

http://www.autovation.net/new/evo-splitter-install.htm

Edit - found the answer above - it seems to go between stock lip and bumper. Any smart people here who can say if this is a better option than APR which bolts to the bottom of the bumper? Thanks!

Last edited by EvoIXMR; Feb 26, 2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes - that is the full length design. I took a picture of my install with the shortened design - see it here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ght=autovation

I saw the APR splitter yesterday and while I think it looks good, I don't know how it performs or how it compares to the Autovation unit.

I am very pleased with the build wuality and customer service from Autovation and the price was hard to say no to.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

I sent Autovation a PM asking for their thought process of sandwiching it rather than attaching to the bottom of the bumper. I'll post up if I hear something.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
Had an incidient the other weekend that resulted in my beatrush undertray being bent up, the front lip being ripped halfway out of the bumper supports, and the front bumpter supports (the pastic holders for the tiny a** screws) for the lip being mostly broken across the passanger side. No it wasn't a wreck, I hit a low spot turning around in a dirt driveway, then an hour later at Roebling Road, the beatrush tray acted like a parachute and ripped the rest off when I got around 125mph on the straight.

So it's current form is being held up by duct tape and plastic ties (like a real race car ), but since the plastic mounts for a "new" lip (if i were to get one) are broken as well, and since the lips generally cost the same as a bumper, why not just get a new bumper that offers more aero.

So, which ones are you generally using? Which one offers the most "useful" space for cooling and functional downforce without looking like super rice?

Car's purpose is currently HPDE/TT/DD

So far i'm liking the C-West one, and the undertray that cwest offers with it. I have the AMS brake duct kit, so i'm also looking at integrating that into the new bumper if it has the acc spots for it.
First and foremost (im going to have to steal a quote from somewhere), "All real race cars need some tape on them before they can truly have credibility." If anyone actually knows where exactly i got that quote, i will mail you a Hello Kitty sticker.

Anyways, since you mentioned TT, i hope you realize that youre going to have to take points for aero mods. So if youre planning on running in NASA's TT series some day, think about that aspect before you do anything.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Dang, unsure of the source of the quote but I am also interested as to why they put the splitter in the middle. I do think I may like it as it may well be real world livable.

Quick Reply: Front aero rework