Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

wink mirrors

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2008, 09:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
wink mirrors

I'm interested in getting a wider or wink-style mirror to reduce blind spots when on track. I don't have a halo bar to clamp it to. Can anyone recommend something that works well, either with its own mount or that clips onto the stock mirror? I'm not sure whether to go for something like a 14" convex mirror (like the Longacre) or something like a multi-panel mirror.

Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2008, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a broadway in my DD eclipse. good for extra visibility.

http://www.247motoring.com/shop/inde...nt=247Motoring

And some people say theyre JDM because theyre very popular in japan, lol.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Does that just clip on your current rear view?
Old Feb 26, 2008, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

the broad way mirror is an awesome mod... don't have to turn head for any blind spots.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

The one I had just clipped on, yes
Old Feb 27, 2008, 03:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Any recommendations for size (240 vs. 300 mm) or flat vs. convex? I guess my inclination would be to get the biggest one with a convex lens for max visibility. Not sure why you would want tint on the mirror???
Old Feb 27, 2008, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

I just got a clamp-on big rear-view from Lancer Shop
Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

mine was a 240mm convex, and it was fine for helping with the blind spots known with hatchbacks. For max visability the biggest convex would definately give you the most rearward visability, but the convex lense does distort things a tad. If your ok with that go for it. Id stay away from tinted, I dont really know why anyone would want a tinted mirror. seems like an oxymoron, bigger mirror for better visability, with tint? lol
Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Its all about the image playah!

By the way... I just ordered a 300mm convex so we will see what we think when it shows up.

I did have one incident last year where a guy in a 911 GT3 was on my can for a lap and I never knew it. My instructor didn't know it either as he all but parked in my blind spot. He told me that he could take me in the corners but was not fast enough to just take me on the straights which was a mixed blessing.

The downside was that I NEVER care to be "that guy" who doesn't give a pass sign as if a guy is fast enough to go around he is a guy I want to learn from and you can't do that by not letting him around.

It also woke me up to the fact that if neither I nor my instructor saw this guy I needed to have better awareness. I added some little button mirrors to my rear views but this should add some extra awareness that I would otherwise not have.

Money well spent.

Last edited by dsycks; Feb 27, 2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 01:04 AM
Evolved Member

Got my 300mm convex in original tint (think of it as a light factory style shade of blue/gray) and must say, this thing RULES!

First off it's huge but not at all obtrusive nor does it look out of place. It has spring loaded clips which hold it snugly on the stock rear view and while "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" the overall size makes this a cool little cheap mod.

One thing that got my attention on a little trip today was that on a narrow one way street I could see out both rear side windows at the same time with a glance up. No way will you miss anything with one of these, money well spent.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 01:22 AM
Evolving Member

^+1

I order a straight 270mm (non-tinted), fell in love with it, but buddy did too so i sold it to him and ordered myself another one but in 300mm.

Should be sick
Old Mar 6, 2008, 03:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by dsycks
Got my 300mm convex in original tint (think of it as a light factory style shade of blue/gray) and must say, this thing RULES!

First off it's huge but not at all obtrusive nor does it look out of place. It has spring loaded clips which hold it snugly on the stock rear view and while "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" the overall size makes this a cool little cheap mod.

One thing that got my attention on a little trip today was that on a narrow one way street I could see out both rear side windows at the same time with a glance up. No way will you miss anything with one of these, money well spent.
Where did you get it? I think I'm going to order a 300mm straight one. Thanks.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 03:34 AM
Evolved Member

I followed the link!

http://www.247motoring.com/shop/inde...nt=247Motoring

I may be down at DTM to say hay in a week or so. If you like you can drop by and check mine out.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Just ordered a 300mm Convex original tint, based on your review. I pray its as good as you describe. When I get back on track this year I'm going to be going a little slower (after what happened last time) so I'll need some extra rearward visibility.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

You like mine Rich? LOL

Quick Reply: wink mirrors