Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

tire choices.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2008, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just sucks to have to have so many different types of tires just to compete in these venues. So many people already use V710s and A6/R6s but are nowhere near the level of "unlimited" and not even "modified" for the most part. Then, you have mega powered cars in street - the whole tire delimiter doesn't make a lot of sense for what is an otherwise very cool venue (RTA). I'm going to probably get some 255/35-18 (or whatever profile works) R1Rs to meet the street reqs, but no way am I buying a separate set of BFG R1s just to do Modified class. That's a shame when I have my race rims mounted with V710s and a spare set unmounted.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 09:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Just sucks to have to have so many different types of tires just to compete in these venues. So many people already use V710s and A6/R6s but are nowhere near the level of "unlimited" and not even "modified" for the most part. Then, you have mega powered cars in street - the whole tire delimiter doesn't make a lot of sense for what is an otherwise very cool venue (RTA). I'm going to probably get some 255/35-18 (or whatever profile works) R1Rs to meet the street reqs, but no way am I buying a separate set of BFG R1s just to do Modified class. That's a shame when I have my race rims mounted with V710s and a spare set unmounted.
That's why I ran on street tires last year in RTA Modified class. I had V710s but they would have put me in Unlimited.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
That's why I ran on street tires last year in RTA Modified class. I had V710s but they would have put me in Unlimited.
Im beginning to have second thoughts on running in the RTA this year. Im not sure i want to buy extra tires for just 1 event. But then after reading your post, i might say screw it and run whatever tires i want. If there are only like 2 guys in unlimited, i could take 3rd!
Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Bueller
Im beginning to have second thoughts on running in the RTA this year. Im not sure i want to buy extra tires for just 1 event. But then after reading your post, i might say screw it and run whatever tires i want. If there are only like 2 guys in unlimited, i could take 3rd!
Definitely do the event on the tires you have! I thought I had no chance and finished ahead of a number of Modified cars on race tires.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Unless BFG is a sponsor, That rule folly doesnt make any sense. Is there a way to request a rules revision? (something like emailing the SEB for the SCCA?)
Old Feb 27, 2008, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Definitely do the event on the tires you have! I thought I had no chance and finished ahead of a number of Modified cars on race tires.
Yeah, thats what i did last year. Either way, i was sort of joking. For one thing, i dont have gloves with a minimum rating of SFI 3.3/1. So without them, i cant run in unlimited. But seriously, i dont have a kill switch. Either way, me running in unlimited would be a joke.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 02:02 PM
Former Sponsor

No wonder Bueller was PM'ing me about this... I figured there'd be a thread somewhere....

I'll tell you guys what I told him..

Upon first glance, one might assume an R1 tire would be faster than an NT-01, R888 or even an A032r/A048..... But from our experiences last year, that simply was not the case. The compound of the R1 is awfully darn 'Hard' for a tire with a UTQG rating of 40. We had teams that were swapping between the NT-01 and the R1 and were running faster times on the NT-01, by relatively large margins.

Why BFG just didnt give the tire a 50 UTQG, I do not know. UTQG are often chosen by the manufacturer anyways. I should call up Todd Steen and just tell him to change it to 50 from 40.. that would solve this debate right quick. ;-)

But anyways, until we see a change in the tire compound (via durometer testing) we're going to keep the R1 eligible for Modified Class.

And regarding the comments related to why we don't allow for Hoosiers and DOT "slicks" to be used in Modified.. that goes back to our beginnings in 2005. We simply do not want, nor do the vast majority of competitors in the Modified class, DOT Slicks being used in the Modified Class. One of the major reasons was $$$$ Those people who can afford to drop BIG BUCKS on Hoosiers would go buy them and have an INSTANT advantage, simply because they have the money to do so. If you want to use your wealth as an advantage, our feeling is, then step up to Unlimited and run with the big boys. If you dont have the money for a dedicated track car that will be competitive in Unlimited, then run in Modified, and have one hell of a fun time doing so... on Modified legal tires. Modified Class cars are not intended to be Race Cars...so therefore "race tires" are not permitted in the class.. and we consider DOT Slicks to be "race tires"...

That is the logic we have used. It has been overwhelmingly well received and worked very well for the last 3 years. :-)
Old Feb 27, 2008, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
oke i understand that, and actually i have to say thanks, for that rule. Since i'm , an immigrant painter so defenietly a small budget /i came 8 years ago/ . I got help from other just to go on track. no crying though.
Can you explain why we cant run 265's? The reason i'm asking that , because alot more tire to choose from that size. The 255"s kinda non existent in the good competition tires. I have to run 255-35-18. But all tires are 265/35-18.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 02:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
oke i understand that, and actually i have to say thanks, for that rule. Since i'm , an immigrant painter so defenietly a small budget /i came 8 years ago/ . I got help from other just to go on track. no crying though.
Can you explain why we cant run 265's? The reason i'm asking that , because alot more tire to choose from that size. The 255"s kinda non existent in the good competition tires. I have to run 255-35-18. But all tires are 265/35-18.

For the Street Class, most, if not all of the more competitive tires come in a 255/35 18" size... Falken RT-615, Yokohama Advan Neova, Bridgestone RE-01R, Toyo R1R, etc...

Modified Class does not have a limit on the size of the tire you can run.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

on the tire rack i find the RE-O1R only and the discont tire direct have none of those.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...55&rd=18&ar=35

can you direct me where are can check those other brands, So far i find in this size only the RE-01R
Old Feb 27, 2008, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nikolas@Redline
No wonder Bueller was PM'ing me about this... I figured there'd be a thread somewhere....

I'll tell you guys what I told him..

Upon first glance, one might assume an R1 tire would be faster than an NT-01, R888 or even an A032r/A048..... But from our experiences last year, that simply was not the case. The compound of the R1 is awfully darn 'Hard' for a tire with a UTQG rating of 40. We had teams that were swapping between the NT-01 and the R1 and were running faster times on the NT-01, by relatively large margins.

Why BFG just didnt give the tire a 50 UTQG, I do not know. UTQG are often chosen by the manufacturer anyways. I should call up Todd Steen and just tell him to change it to 50 from 40.. that would solve this debate right quick. ;-)

But anyways, until we see a change in the tire compound (via durometer testing) we're going to keep the R1 eligible for Modified Class.

And regarding the comments related to why we don't allow for Hoosiers and DOT "slicks" to be used in Modified.. that goes back to our beginnings in 2005. We simply do not want, nor do the vast majority of competitors in the Modified class, DOT Slicks being used in the Modified Class. One of the major reasons was $$$$ Those people who can afford to drop BIG BUCKS on Hoosiers would go buy them and have an INSTANT advantage, simply because they have the money to do so. If you want to use your wealth as an advantage, our feeling is, then step up to Unlimited and run with the big boys. If you dont have the money for a dedicated track car that will be competitive in Unlimited, then run in Modified, and have one hell of a fun time doing so... on Modified legal tires. Modified Class cars are not intended to be Race Cars...so therefore "race tires" are not permitted in the class.. and we consider DOT Slicks to be "race tires"...

That is the logic we have used. It has been overwhelmingly well received and worked very well for the last 3 years. :-)
Thanks for the response Niki. Actually, the reason i sent you the pm was because i initially asked it a while back in the thread that covers the new RTA rules. However, the thread got so long, that i think you missed it.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for sorting that out. Some things do not make sense on their face but when folks can give simple explanations I'm cool with it.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nikolas@Redline
I think $1000 for a set of Hoosiers is peanuts compared to what a lot of people are spending on getting their cars prepped for RTA events. If you said: "We won't allow a 997 GT3 Cup Car to participate because they cost $200,000 and not everyone can afford that" then I'd agree with you. But a set of tires???
Old Feb 27, 2008, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

It all adds up. Just like the sig above points out, racing is expensive and I for one am happy that folks are doing what they can to keep some classes reasonable.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
I think $1000 for a set of Hoosiers is peanuts compared to what a lot of people are spending on getting their cars prepped for RTA events. If you said: "We won't allow a 997 GT3 Cup Car to participate because they cost $200,000 and not everyone can afford that" then I'd agree with you. But a set of tires???
you got a point here though.

Quick Reply: tire choices.