Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

tire choices.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2008, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
this tire thing drives me crazy. i really like the R888 's but i cant use them..
oh well i'm debating between the RE-01r or the Toyo R1R . But i cant find the R1R in that size, so far.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay, I guess people have been saying websites are misquoting the treadwear, which is 180. That is the same tire. It may not turn out to be an advan neova killer, but its already been shown that it doesnt have the floppy sidewall the bridgestones do on heavier cars, and handles heat far better (which is a plus for track use).

That Toyo R1R is not going to be the tire you want to use Rob, guys with miatas are just shredding them to pieces auto-xing. theyre too soft with floppy sidewalls. "Numb" is how they are describing them.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ryan, how can the RE-01R be described as having a "floppy sidewall" and being so far inferior to another tire in terms of heat handling when it was so dominant last year in street tire classes? What am I missing? The RE-01R came out of nowhere and immediately became the best in its class as seen at Nationals. Did the Z1 come out that recently and is already showing THAT much improvement, or are the adjectives being thrown around a little bit exaggerated?

I'm asking, because I will be deciding on my next set of street tires fairly soon, and I plan to get the best out there in the 140 UTQG class.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Ryan, how can the RE-01R be described as having a "floppy sidewall" and being so far inferior to another tire in terms of heat handling when it was so dominant last year in street tire classes? What am I missing? The RE-01R came out of nowhere and immediately became the best in its class as seen at Nationals. Did the Z1 come out that recently and is already showing THAT much improvement, or are the adjectives being thrown around a little bit exaggerated?

I'm asking, because I will be deciding on my next set of street tires fairly soon, and I plan to get the best out there in the 140 UTQG class.
I thruthfully couldn't tell you much more. The only experience I have with the RE01R is the last winter series we ran, I co-drove an M3 with them. And it was stuck, dont get me wrong, theyre a great tire. I could feel the softer sidewalls than even the stock advan a046's though. I have no personal experience with the Z1 yet.

The reviews Im reffering to are mostly from evo guys, the evo being a front heavy (and overall heavy) car that really heats up the tires. These guys are saying the performance edge that the Z1 has is the stiffer sidewalls (While the RE01R is stiff, its not as stiff as the neova or Z1 apperantly, which are very close in stiffness) and better heat handling characteristics. For a heavier car, that translates to much better transitional response, and a more consistent tire. They are also said to be AWESOME in the rain, people are predicting them to be the rain tire to run at nats. Heres one review off SCCA forums:

We ran the Dunlops at the CSCC season opener, and were surprised at the results. We took 1st and 2nd in STU. The top STU STi was running in SM and ran a time between our 2 raw times. The fastest STU BMW M3 in the country was also there, but they had issues putting power down in the first run group. Conditions were about 55 deg and dry, 2 drivers, with full tread tires.

I would speculate the 245/40-17 Direzzas Z1s are faster than the Bridgestone RE-01Rs, that I was running the last 4 events, by about .5 sec on a low 50 sec course. This would be for my front heavy, front drive biased Evo. The Dunlops seem stiffer, brake better, and don't break away as easily in the front as the softer RE- 01Rs.

Also the Z1s are much more heat tolerant. We ran 6 extra runs in the 3rd group in ~70 deg temp. Where the RE-01Rs would go off in about 2.5 runs, the Dunlops were good until the 6th run.
Im sure you can get rid of what theyre calling a floppy sidewall on the RE01R with running a wider rim. ex: the car I co-drove had 255's on 10 inch wide rims. I guess that flattens out the contact patch, and in laymans-terms keeps the tire from squirming side to side better.

Any way you go, Neova, RE01R, or that Z1, I would say youre getting one of the best you can. Neovas are crazy $$$ though. To me, what its sounding like, is the Z1 is going to be a very good tire, for a very good price. and I like the sound of that, haha.

I would stay away from the new R1R toyo, heres what happens after ~30 runs (on a civic):

Last edited by RaNGVR-4; Feb 28, 2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by FatheroftheEVO
Clay, I guess people have been saying websites are misquoting the treadwear, which is 180. That is the same tire. It may not turn out to be an advan neova killer, but its already been shown that it doesnt have the floppy sidewall the bridgestones do on heavier cars, and handles heat far better (which is a plus for track use).

That Toyo R1R is not going to be the tire you want to use Rob, guys with miatas are just shredding them to pieces auto-xing. theyre too soft with floppy sidewalls. "Numb" is how they are describing them.
THANK YOU!!! these are the infos i'm looking for!!

I did 2 race last year in Lime Rock, because my friends pushed me . And i loved it . Wich is i thought i will never do. And looks like, we will do this year little more serius.
Now i did rally racing where i came from, so this whole circuit racing is new for me.
Also, now i'm not just the driver like i was before... I have to make tire choices i never used before ,set ups i never used before etc. It is a new enviroment for me , But it is really exiting. Thank you guys for the help. I do really appropiate!!

Rob