Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Goodsport Racing and Robispec Win USTCC 2008 Round One

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodsport Racing and Robispec Win USTCC 2008 Round One

The Goodsport Racing Mitsubishi Evolution, driven by David Bongiovanni, took first place in the first United States Touring Car race of the 2008 season. Held at Thunderhill Raceway in Willow, CA, the inaugural race held much promise with good weather, excellent car count, and some fierce competition including past USTCC champions and Grand Am veterans.

The team arrived at the track with the car in top shape, though with little information about the new to the series Nitto NT-01 race rubber sized in 225/50-17 for all competitors. At an all up race weight of over 3350 lb., the Goodsport team had to scramble to find suspension settings that got the most from the tires, as the Evo was heavier than the next heaviest car by over 400 lb., and was running the AWD mandated 12.45 lb/hp, the lowest power to weight ratio of any car in the field. Luckily, Robert Fuller of Robispec was able to supply critical suspension components and settings without any track testing opportunities, using his many years of experience to make great decisions on how to best manage these tires.

The qualifying session only lasted for two laps due to an on-track incident, and traffic only allowed Bongiovanni to qualify in fourth position. With three cars ahead at the start, using the great launch characteristics of the Evolution would be difficult.

When the green flag dropped the traffic kept all cars in their qualifying position through turn one as the pack settled into the single file line that would last the first few laps. A small mistake in turn nine sent the 2nd place Mini to sixth place in one turn, as the other drivers struggled to maintain position in line. After another two laps, the leading Dodge SRT-4 suddenly lost power on the main straight, instantly falling back to mid-pack and 6th place. With the Honda Civic in the lead, Bongiovanni settled into second place with the Chevrolet Cobalt SS, which ran the fastest lap of the race, filling the rearview mirror of the Evolution.

The first place Honda was fast enough to keep the Evolution behind it in second, but as the race wore on, the abilities of the AWD really began to shine. Eventually, the Honda pushed its tires beyond their abilities, and had a big spin coming out of turn eight. Bongiovanni was able to capitalize on the mistake and pushed through to take first place, with the Chevrolet Cobalt in close tow. As the pack came back across the finish line, a full course yellow was shown due to an incident behind the lead pack. The yellow continued until the checker was shown, giving Goodsport Racing and David Bongiovanni the first win of the 2008 season.

Bongiovanni states "Goodsport Racing is very pleased to return to USTCC after a one year absence. The newly developed promotional opportunities and fantastic new series sponsors including Nitto Tire have made this the premier pro touring car series on the West Coast. Today's win is directly attributable to the fantastic efforts over many years by the Goodsport crew and our sponsors Robispec, Innovate Motorsports, and Evil Genius."

Goodsport Racing will return to Round Two of the United States Touring Car Championship at Infineon Raceway on April 13, 2008 with Dave Bongiovanni behind the wheel once again. The hard work starts now, however, as the competition is fierce and the Goodsport crew will have to continue to improve the capabilities of the Evolution in order to stay at the front of the pack.

For more information, visit:

http://www.goodsportracing.com
http://www.robispec.com
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com
http://www.evilgeniusracing.com
http://www.ustcc.com
http://www.nasaproracing.com

Last edited by ustcc evo; Mar 10, 2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

I was reading about you guys in GRM, congrats! Any info about how the 08 Lancer?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

We are in the process of putting another 90 or so hp into the Lancer to make it competitive in the series, but we hope to have it out with Steve Krshul as the driver before mid-season.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

congrats!!
Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Great job! Congrats
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LancerGTS
I was reading about you guys in GRM, congrats! Any info about how the 08 Lancer?
"The end result was a rearranged rear quarter on the Roadster and a bloodied nose for our Lancer."
Old Mar 11, 2008, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

oh, that...

Yes, there is the little matter of getting the Lancer out of debtor's prison (body shop) before we slap that turbo kit on.

The frame rails had to be pulled straight, and the entire radiator/bumper support area had to be replaced and welded back in. Plus a new bumper and everything behind it. It was a lot worse than it looked.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
congrats!! Best season opening!
Old Mar 11, 2008, 03:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Congrats! Way to get the ball rolling guys
Old Mar 11, 2008, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bueller
"The end result was a rearranged rear quarter on the Roadster and a bloodied nose for our Lancer."

I've actually been waiting for both Robispec and Zzyzx to finish up their 08 Lancer coilovers...still am not 100% positive on which to get. Will the Robispec be a step down from your setup?
Old Mar 11, 2008, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Good way to start off the season, congrats!
Old Mar 12, 2008, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Great job Dave. I am back now and when I get settled I will shoot you an e-mail.

Congrats!

-Derek
Old Mar 12, 2008, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Nice work guys, congrats!
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

I've actually been waiting for both Robispec and Zzyzx to finish up their 08 Lancer coilovers...still am not 100% positive on which to get. Will the Robispec be a step down from your setup?
I'm using the same Robispec KWs on the Lancer that anyone can buy. After we built up a prototype set for the 25hr Lancer, I sent the stock suspension to Robi so he could get the production sets finalized with KW.

As I understand it, the KWs come in both Street and Competition valving, reasonably priced at around $2k. However, Robi has the latest information on what is available for the Lancer.

The Zzyzx dampers are custom made Konis. Koni sells bare strut bodies that you can weld 'ears' to yourself, then insert the Koni SA or DA strut cartridges.

I don't have much experience with the DA Konis so I won't comment. However, I can say that the KW is the only $2k DA shock I've used that performs as well on the track as it does on the street, and is certainly the only shock in its price range that can handle a 900 lb spring in endurance racing conditions.

Robi doesn't sell the crap coilovers, you know the names...He'll tell you to wait and save your money and buy whats good. My first set of coilovers were 'track ready', but when the big springs went in, they couldn't handle it. Robi won't let that happen to you.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 12:10 PM
Former Sponsor

with the DATA supplied by Good Sport Racing a step UP!

Thanks Dave Great season opener....Brown who is Brown?....

Quick Reply: Goodsport Racing and Robispec Win USTCC 2008 Round One