Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2008 Formula1 discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2008, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
venue vs venue...

Tainting the sport turning the business to be cut throat.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WrX Kila
My sentiments Exactly... F#*king Ferrari!!!{thumbdwn}
Please don't think that I hate or am hating against Ferrari. I want to see good, clean, and safe racing from them as well as every other team. I don't agree with how rules and regulations are flexed or forgotten about when they are in violation. Two incidents at Monaco and now the dangling exhaust pipe in France? The term "Ferrari International Assistance" holds true. With clean and fair racing, this season is still theirs. The FIA needs to cut out the favoritism.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NoTec
Please don't think that I hate or am hating against Ferrari. I want to see good, clean, and safe racing from them as well as every other team. I don't agree with how rules and regulations are flexed or forgotten about when they are in violation. Two incidents at Monaco and now the dangling exhaust pipe in France? The term "Ferrari International Assistance" holds true. With clean and fair racing, this season is still theirs. The FIA needs to cut out the favoritism.
I think you are over thinking it. Monoca was in the wet; twas a save... nuff said and even kubica in this interview says no harm done and hes in champion contention with both red drivers. IDK ... here is the whole interview though, its very good builds on Kubica and I'll highlight that one response too.

Kubica: I feel like a ‘David’ against lots of ‘Goliaths’

He is rapidly becoming a superstar in his native Poland, but even since his maiden Grand Prix victory in Canada turned him into a championship contender, BMW Sauber’s Robert Kubica has done his best to keep a low profile. Nevertheless, despite his team’s unsettled weekend at Magny-Cours, Kubica is still being touted as the man who could gatecrash Ferrari and McLaren’s championship party. Formula1.com caught up with the 23 year-old following this week’s Silverstone test to get his personal take on his title chances…

Q: Robert, after the wonderful feeling of a maiden win in Montreal, has your mood sobered after such a challenging Magny-Cours weekend?Robert Kubica: I approached the Magny-Cours event with my feet on ground and the race result was only slightly below my expectations. After the Friday sessions, I realized that the goal was to limit the damage rather than repeat the Canadian performance, and this is what happened in the end.

Q: Why do you believe the car didn’t perform as well as expected? With Lewis Hamilton’s ten-place relegation and drive-through penalty, the podium seemed to be almost a sure thing…RK: We are currently far from the pace we need in order to challenge our front-running competitors and it’s no secret that we need some good updates to get back to the level of competitiveness we showed in the early part of the season. The missed podium in Magny-Cours shows that we cannot rely on the others hitting trouble. Lewis’s penalties probably just put one less car in front of me at the finish line.

Q: France was your worst qualifying of the year, with the F1.08 half a second off the pace of the Ferraris…RK: In Magny-Cours our gap to Ferrari was the highest so far and this was emphasised by the fact that some other teams have instead closed the gap to us. It’s a signal that we need to take very seriously - and one we must react quickly to.

Q: You always played it cool when asked about your championship ambitions - even when you were leading the standings. Now there are three drivers within five points, with you sandwiched between the two Ferrari men and eight points ahead of Lewis. Do you admit that you are still a ‘hot’ candidate for the title?
RK: We are almost halfway through the season and I don’t think that my second position in the championship is just by chance. Nevertheless, I still consider that I am the outsider and I’ll only tell you if I am a ‘hot’ candidate when we’re in Brazil. For the time being, I feel more like a ‘David’ against lots of ‘Goliaths’.

Q: Kimi Raikkonen drove a large part of the French Grand Prix with a section of his exhaust flailing from his car. Do you think he should have been black flagged?
RK: No, I don’t think there were serious safety concerns for him or the others.

Q: The 2009 regulation changes could bring about a dramatic change in the Formula One pecking order, meaning this year could be your best shot at the title for a while. How do you think things will change next season? RK: Traditionally - and also statistically - whenever there is a major change in technical regulations, top teams have remained top teams. There may of course be some reshuffling in the first few races, but the top teams’ strength is also in their capacity to keep developing the good aspects of the car and quickly abandon the bad ones.

Q: What developments have you been testing this week and what changes can we expect to see on the car for the Silverstone race? Will they be enough to close the gap to Ferrari?RK: It’s not only the gap with Ferrari - we can also take it for granted that McLaren will also be there. Moreover, we have seen Toyota and Renault in better shape. So I think that Silverstone, and also Hockenheim, will somehow become the turning point of the season, with everybody challenging everybody else in order to find their real positioning in both the drivers’ and constructors’ championships. The test in Silverstone was altogether positive and I think that some good decisions were taken. Obviously, the answer will come next week.

Q: And how is life as a superstar back home in Poland? With every race, there are more and more Polish flags being waved at the tracks…
RK: I am going to Poland very rarely, just for PR activities. What I am certainly realizing is that I could not even make two steps there in a street on my own. On the other hand, I am happy to see so many Poles coming to the races and I’ll take this opportunity to thank all of them for their huge support!

Source: F1

Last edited by r.m.s.; Jun 27, 2008 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Source
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NoTec
F1 is all about politics. Theres barely a sense of fair play. Some of the crap you watch over the years is mystifying, esp with Schumaker.

Its to the point that the power players can do what they wish for the most part and if you speak against the FIA you know it'll come back to you later in the season.
L
ook at Max Mosley. The guy gets caught on tape having an orgy and hes still the man in charge.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yooyooyoo
Look at Max Mosley. The guy gets caught on tape having an orgy and hes still the man in charge.
As he should be.

l8r)
Old Jun 27, 2008, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
As he should be.

l8r)
Old Jul 4, 2008, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Very interesting time sheet at the end of second practice... Not at all what I would have expected to see. Hell of a shunt Massa had in first practice. Can't believe the team got the car back out for the second session. McLarens look like they made some progress since the last race, we'll have to see what happens tomorrow morning.
It better be on at 8am too. I'm not watching an hr of pinks again, I would rather sleep in.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Never would have guessed this front row. Good to see RedBull at the front, the more cars the better. What the hell happed to Massa, starting ninth? I didn't see his run, couldn't have been very clean or he's got an ish load of fuel. Poor Kubica, never even turned a lap in Q3.

Should be very interesting tomorrow.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 08:56 PM

Yeah tomorrow is going to be awesome....too bad that America gets screwed with coverage delayed by like 4 hours when the race "starts" at 1PM on FOX Sports......
Old Jul 5, 2008, 10:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by grillpt
Never would have guessed this front row. Good to see RedBull at the front, the more cars the better. What the hell happed to Massa, starting ninth? I didn't see his run, couldn't have been very clean or he's got an ish load of fuel. Poor Kubica, never even turned a lap in Q3.

Should be very interesting tomorrow.

tell me about it! my pick 6 picks are way off so far. and my yahoo picks aren't looking so well either
Old Jul 6, 2008, 12:47 AM

I was very pleased to see MW on the front row! Hopefully Kubica can peck his way to the front.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Yes... Well deserved win for Hamilton!! Ferrari F^$cked Up big time!!! BIG TYME!!! It just to show and prove that Hamilton is a very skilled driver, Heck I bet you if it snowed he would be able to handle it. Kimi, Masa.... for get about Massa He sucks in the wet! 48/48/48 Three way split.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WrX Kila
Yes... Well deserved win for Hamilton!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDgpS4kx88s

Kid deserves everything he has, he is very skilled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt_PJ...eature=related

And thats why he won today.

If you wan't to race F1 but cannot are not skilled enough get a 125cc Shifter Kart, closest you will ever get.

Scorke
Old Jul 6, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scorke

If you wan't to race F1 but cannot are not skilled & rich enough get a 125cc Shifter Kart, closest you will ever get.
Fixed

Quite a few people are skilled enough to race F1 and would do very well, but will never get the chance do to the money that is needed. Breeding a F1 driver starting in karts going all the way up the ladder takes big BIG time money. Talent is a big part, but unfortunately in this day in age, financial backing is just as important. You need both.

I agree with you 100% though, shifter karts is the way to go. Hands down the best race car dollar for dollar. No high dollar transporter needed, easy to work on and stupid fast.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 0100
Fixed

Quite a few people are skilled enough to race F1 and would do very well, but will never get the chance do to the money that is needed. Breeding a F1 driver starting in karts going all the way up the ladder takes big BIG time money. Talent is a big part, but unfortunately in this day in age, financial backing is just as important. You need both.

I agree with you 100% though, shifter karts is the way to go. Hands down the best race car dollar for dollar. No high dollar transporter needed, easy to work on and stupid fast.
Nobody that owns an evo is rich enough to race in F1 period.

Unless there are members of this forum with 100+ mill to throw around my original post stands :0

Agreed that karts are the perfect starting point Regarding the finances, if your good enough somebody will pay for you to do it.

Scorke

Quick Reply: 2008 Formula1 discussion