Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2008 Formula1 discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My point was you need both talent and money. To get to the point where you get paid to drive is a long long time and lot's of money will be invested in the driver far before he is even on the map as a prospect.

An evo owner can have all the talent in the world, win every time attack, SCCA race, blah blah, but because he/she didn't go up the expensive ladder will never even be on the map. Doesn't mean they are not skilled enough.

To be an F1 driver you need
Talent
Huge finacial backing (aka rich dad)
Start of in karts at a very young age
Work your way up the expensive ladder
Young
In shape

then if you are doing really well in F3 or GP2 you will be on the map. Being just skilled at driving a car is a very small part at becoming a F1 driver. That is all I ment.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
WTF??? Rubens on the Podium?? I don't know why the field didn't go to extreme wets. The conditions were right. I also understand why Kimi and Fernando didn't change inters on there first stop, if you guys remember in years past changing them cost them lots of time (China 06'). If it had not rained again, that probably would have been the right call. Oh well, Kimi got back to fourth, I can live with that. But Ferarri needs to do something about Massa's wet weather skills, he is horrible.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by grillpt
WTF??? Rubens on the Podium?? I don't know why the field didn't go to extreme wets. The conditions were right.
Haha! that's exactly what I was thinking. WTF is Rubens doing on the podium! As Steve Machett was saying given the time difference between Rubens and Hammy all the teams should have been pulling their drivers in for full wets. Too bad Kubica didn't finish the race or else he would be in the lead.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Rubens Flew with the full wets on! Well deserve win also.... do you think Mr B had something to do with it?
Old Jul 8, 2008, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Hamiltons win was impressive. He's lucky though that Barrichello had to pit though. Who would have thought that a Honda would pass to get his lap back and finish third this year? LOL
Old Jul 8, 2008, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WrX Kila
Rubens Flew with the full wets on! Well deserve win also.... do you think Mr B had something to do with it?
Who is Mr. B?

Originally Posted by wrcRS
Hamiltons win was impressive. He's lucky though that Barrichello had to pit though. Who would have thought that a Honda would pass to get his lap back and finish third this year? LOL
Never in a million years...
Old Jul 8, 2008, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Who is Mr. B?

Ross Brawn.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

It's suspected that Hamilton's car was set up a little more for wet conditions than Kovalainen's car. Also, I would say he did a much better job managing the intermediates by keeping them wet and cool. Besides the early battle with Kovalainen and the battle with Kimi going into and coming out of the first pitstop, I would say he found a good tire preservation line and got into a pretty good rhythm. An excellent and well deserved win for Lewis indeed. I would much rather see a MM one two finish though. Can we please have more rain for Germany!!!!!!! You've got to be fluid in the fluids....
Old Jul 9, 2008, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NoTec
It's suspected that Hamilton's car was set up a little more for wet conditions than Kovalainen's car.
But why would that be... one car set up more then the other when they are on the same team?
Old Jul 9, 2008, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

I read that Rubens called into the pits and told them he was coming in for extreme's. The call was totally made by him. Mr. B had nothing to do with it.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

But why would that be... one car set up more then the other when they are on the same team?
Because depending on the driver's strengths, if conditions went one way vs another, atleast one of them would have still had favorable conditions. I'm sure differences in chassis setup, if any, were subtle. Again, it was pure speculation that Hamilton benefited from more of a wet weather setup.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

I read that Rubens called into the pits and told them he was coming in for extreme's. The call was totally made by him. Mr. B had nothing to do with it.
This is also what I heard. At that point, he had nothing to lose and everything to gain. A gamble that definitely paid off. Now if this were anywhere other than England, one would have been foolish to not stick with the intermediates. Everyone knows that if you have two contradicting weather reports in England, always go with the one that suggests more rain......
Old Jul 19, 2008, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Tomorrows race should be interesting after the way quali went. I can't believe Kimi's all the way back in 6th behind Trulli and Alonso. Either way, it should be a good race.
Old Jul 19, 2008, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

where can I watch it live?
Why is it that speed channel no longer transmit live covarege?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

LEWIS is the man. Major improvent by Mclaren. The car and the man simply amazing!

Quick Reply: 2008 Formula1 discussion