Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2008 Formula1 discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2008, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That was sweet to see Hamilton reel in the top three or so in the final 8 laps and win it after everyone was like " he had poor pit strategy - race is over for him".

PS, I watched ALMS, F1, IRL, and Grand-AM holy car racing day on TV, and most on network tv.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a performance today!!!! Lewis once again shows why he is such a great driver. I don't totally agree with the orders given to Heiki to let him by, but it's understandable. I really despise the whole "your #1, your #2" thing. None the less, it was great performance by MM. Poor Nelson.... I know that he had the "oh Sh#t!!! Hamilton's coming!!!" face going once Lewis got around Massa.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jid2@[BINARY]
That was sweet to see Hamilton reel in the top three or so in the final 8 laps and win it after everyone was like " he had poor pit strategy - race is over for him".

PS, I watched ALMS, F1, IRL, and Grand-AM holy car racing day on TV, and most on network tv.
ME to, I skipped the grand am for the FIM bike racing

I thought hamilton was donzo too after that pit, but more power to him.

Scorke
Old Jul 20, 2008, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Great drive by Lewis, although it certainly was made a lot easier by Heikki letting him by, and by both Massa and Piquet not knowing how to defend the hairpin ... absolutely pathetic efforts (if there was any effort at all). Both of those guys should be taking lessons from Vettel...

l8r)
Old Jul 21, 2008, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was very dissapointed to see Heikki just hand over the lead like that. Come on dude, show a little selfrespect. Ferrari never makes it look that blatent. All in all, I thought the race was very boring but for the last 10 laps. Sad to see Kimi couldn't do better than where he started. Lastly, anyone notice how empty the stands where? The placed looked like it was amature night.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

I love how Mclaren says there are no "team orders", haha, it sure didnt look like that on Sunday! Also why didnt Lewis pit with the safety car out? I mean his job could have been a little easier that way to hold the lead...although it didnt matter anyways...and I also find it quite pathetic that Kimi is basically number 2 in comparison to Massa this year, I'm sure that he, as well as the team is disappointed thus far ...
Old Jul 21, 2008, 05:09 AM
Evolving Member

Kimi is finished as far as F1 goes. I hate to see him pack it in this way but it looks like that's what is happening. It doesn't help that Ferrari are making the stupidest decisions I have ever seen them make during the last few races.

I don't know what McLaren have done with their cars. They used to be the most unreliable things out on that track. It's just funny that as soon as Kimi leaves them Ferrari become the unreliable car and McLaren start having a lot less failures. I guess the anvil is still following Kimi around. Dude has some bad Karma LOL.

As far as LH I just plain hate the guy. When he first started last year I was thinking damn this kid is good, might be the future of F1. Then he gets all cocky and all the fame and fortune boils over to his head. He is definitely the new Schumacher, talented but a complete c*nt.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Holy Sh%t!?! What's up with all the hate? Hamilton DROVE his @ss off this entire year and now he is a cocky "c%nt?????" He's 24 and one of the best in the league. I think it's hard not to get cocky. I mean when the dude wins, he WINS. Massa and PK could have defended all they wanted, but it was inevitable that Lewis would pass them. No sense in ruining a podium finish and giving up several points at the expense of keeping a faster man behind you. Sure they could have slammed the door on him but it wouldn't help anyone except for maybe BMW.

Also, there are no team orders at MM. But yesterday, Heikki was updated with Hamilton's position and superior pace, and allowed him past. I think that's what a teammate should do. When Kimi had the super dangerous dangling exhaust pipe issue in France, he made a judgment call and let Massa by. Massa was faster by some margin and I'm sure the team relayed this data to him and he made the decision. The only difference was Lewis was 4 cars down.

I think the MotoGP race was the best racing action of the weekend though. If you want to see how you defend against a faster vehicle and attack your opponent's weaknesses, observe how Rossi blocked Stoner for 24 solid laps. As controversal as the battles were, that is good racing.

Last edited by NoTec; Jul 21, 2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Notec I could have not said it any better! Hamilton showed what he was made of yesterday... Im going out to buy MM gear this weekend!
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NoTec
Holy Sh%t!?! What's up with all the hate? Hamilton DROVE his @ss off this entire year and now he is a cocky "c%nt?????" He's 24 and one of the best in the league. I think it's hard not to get cocky. I mean when the dude wins, he WINS. Massa and PK could have defended all they wanted, but it was inevitable that Lewis would pass them. No sense in ruining a podium finish and giving up several points at the expense of keeping a faster man behind you. Sure they could have slammed the door on him but it wouldn't help anyone except for maybe BMW.

Also, there are no team orders at MM. But yesterday, Heikki was updated with Hamilton's position and superior pace, and allowed him past. I think that's what a teammate should do. When Kimi had the super dangerous dangling exhaust pipe issue in France, he made a judgment call and let Massa by. Massa was faster by some margin and I'm sure the team relayed this data to him and he made the decision. The only difference was Lewis was 4 cars down.

I think the MotoGP race was the best racing action of the weekend though. If you want to see how you defend against a faster vehicle and attack your opponent's weaknesses, observe how Rossi blocked Stoner for 24 solid laps. As controversal as the battles were, that is good racing.
I kinda sorta disagree with some of what you said.
My personal opinion was made when I saw the blatent disregard towards Alonso last year from Hammy. I dont know maybe its old fashioned but you can at least show respect for your elder teamate esp when they are a world champion and can offer unlimited knowledge of F1. Hence why I dislike him on a personal level and possibly why alot of others dislike him idk...

As far as complaining of someone being cocky in F1 that comes with the cars I think, I mean they almost all are, with the exception of Rosberg and maybe a few others, like Rubens and so on.

And I wanted to comment on MM not haveing a pecking order. Show me the proof; You can't say that they don't HK has nothing to lose so he is going to pull an older Massa role towards Mike S or a last years LH move to Alonso but overall MM is going to protect there multi million dollar boy to see out his contract (I forget how long he signed for?) and uphold his image to keep their brand up!

Let me know what you think.
and I updated the results grillpt
Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NoTec
... Massa and PK could have defended all they wanted, but it was inevitable that Lewis would pass them. No sense in ruining a podium finish and giving up several points at the expense of keeping a faster man behind you. Sure they could have slammed the door on him but it wouldn't help anyone except for maybe BMW. ...
Sorry man, but I strongly disagree with that assertion. Massa and PK left the door so wide open, LH could have been at the helm of a freight train and still made the pass. Two good drivers defending the hairpin correctly for 10 laps should at the very least have made it very difficult for LH to get by them at that portion of the track. Furthermore, had I been in Massa's shoes, I would have taken LH out at the next left-hander when Massa tried to go around the outside, but LH drifted over to close the door on him in mid-turn.

I also find it amusing how some folks will **** on the likes of Alonso and Schumi for doing everything legal and not-so-legal to win, when LH is cut out of the same mold. Really the only thing keeping LH from joining the ranks of champions is LH himself, since he has not yet learned to control his competitiveness.

l8r)
Old Jul 22, 2008, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by r.m.s.
My personal opinion was made when I saw the blatent disregard towards Alonso last year from Hammy. I dont know maybe its old fashioned but you can at least show respect for your elder teamate esp when they are a world champion and can offer unlimited knowledge of F1. Hence why I dislike him on a personal level and possibly why alot of others dislike him idk...
Last year Hamilton was the media darling compared to this year. The friction between Hamilton and Alonso was to be expected given that the rookie was getting all of the attention and driving every bit as well as Alonso. Deferential respect to an elder teammate you're as fast as? I think not.

For those that compare Hamilton the Schumi, give me a break. Hamilton is an angel at this point relative to Schumi. In fact, everyone in f1 right now is an angel compared to schumi.

As a reminder:

1994 Michael Schumacher crashes out Damon Hill (he broke Hill's front suspension) to maintain his points lead and collect the championship that year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zj8GJm2CgQ

1997 Michael Schumacher attempts to crash out Jacques Villeneuve and fails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ULoz10XJUU

2006 Michael Schumacher parks his car on track in qualifying at Monte Carlo to prevent Fernando Alonso (who was the car behind him) from taking pole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnBZU_cRWeo

Schumi fans the world over claim these incidents were accidents/errors, come on. Schumi was a brilliant driver, one of the best. These "errors" were blatant.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yooyooyoo
Last year Hamilton was the media darling compared to this year. The friction between Hamilton and Alonso was to be expected given that the rookie was getting all of the attention and driving every bit as well as Alonso. Deferential respect to an elder teammate you're as fast as? I think not.

For those that compare Hamilton the Schumi, give me a break. Hamilton is an angel at this point relative to Schumi. In fact, everyone in f1 right now is an angel compared to schumi.

As a reminder:

1994 Michael Schumacher crashes out Damon Hill (he broke Hill's front suspension) to maintain his points lead and collect the championship that year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zj8GJm2CgQ

1997 Michael Schumacher attempts to crash out Jacques Villeneuve and fails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ULoz10XJUU

2006 Michael Schumacher parks his car on track in qualifying at Monte Carlo to prevent Fernando Alonso (who was the car behind him) from taking pole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnBZU_cRWeo

Schumi fans the world over claim these incidents were accidents/errors, come on. Schumi was a brilliant driver, one of the best. These "errors" were blatant.
So, let's see, those three links were over a 12 year time-period. I guess for now just one will do for Hamilton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de2_Upfmaas

My point wasn't in defending anyone. It's simply that most 'winners' are hyper-competitive, and will do just about anything to win, and Hamilton isn't an exception to this. I'm sure we could all compile dozens of clips of where a championship leading driver or contender is blocking someone faster at all costs - fair has nothing to do with it. LH is a great driver, of that there is no doubt ... but then again, so are a number of others.

l8r)
Old Jul 23, 2008, 04:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by r.m.s.

As far as complaining of someone being cocky in F1 that comes with the cars I think, I mean they almost all are, with the exception of Rosberg and maybe a few others, like Rubens and so on.

And I wanted to comment on MM not haveing a pecking order. Show me the proof; You can't say that they don't HK has nothing to lose so he is going to pull an older Massa role towards Mike S or a last years LH move to Alonso but overall MM is going to protect there multi million dollar boy to see out his contract (I forget how long he signed for?) and uphold his image to keep their brand up!

Let me know what you think.
and I updated the results grillpt
I understand your points and pretty much agree with them. However, when you are of equal talent and skill of a senior driver on the same team, I don't always feel it's correct to sit back and play the number 2 driver. True LH could have shown a little more respect but the guy is good and in order to become a champion, you have to be a little assertive/forceful at times.

Team orders and pecking order are different in my book. Sure Heikki knows that he is number 2 at MM, but I don't believe he is instructed to let Lewis pass anytime Lewis is near him. Heikki knows what is required to remain a member of MM. He knows which side his bread is buttered on... I believe if he could maintain his practice/qualifying/early-race pace throughout the entirety of the event, this "team orders" BS would be layed to rest.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Sorry man, but I strongly disagree with that assertion. Massa and PK left the door so wide open, LH could have been at the helm of a freight train and still made the pass. Two good drivers defending the hairpin correctly for 10 laps should at the very least have made it very difficult for LH to get by them at that portion of the track. Furthermore, had I been in Massa's shoes, I would have taken LH out at the next left-hander when Massa tried to go around the outside, but LH drifted over to close the door on him in mid-turn.
I understand your reasoning but there is more to it than that.

Massa's thoughts:
Massa defends against Lewis while PK gets away. Lewis isn't the type to back down and save a car at the expense of not winning a race. He is cut throat like Schumacher and will win at whatever the cost. Do I slam the door on a guy like this? Do I spar with him and hope he makes a mistake? Do I attempt to take him out and allow Kimi to move ahead of me in the championship in the event that I crash out with Lewis? My contract with Ferrari is on the line if I don't bring home a championship. Hmmmm... what do I do.

PK's thoughts:
I need to finish on the podium. Oh sh%t, here comes Lewis! I'll let him by so I can finish on the podium. Whoa, there goes Lewis, atleast I'll be safe with a 2nd and Renault's first podium of the year.

Lewis's thoughts:
I'm going to win. Not winning is not an option. If I'm not first, I'm last.

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
I also find it amusing how some folks will **** on the likes of Alonso and Schumi for doing everything legal and not-so-legal to win, when LH is cut out of the same mold. Really the only thing keeping LH from joining the ranks of champions is LH himself, since he has not yet learned to control his competitiveness.

l8r)
I completely agree.

Quick Reply: 2008 Formula1 discussion