Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2008 Formula1 discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2008, 09:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grillpt
I believe Massa was on the second race weekend with that motor. Either way no penalty cause it would be his first, and the first is free. Sucks though...

if i'm not mistaken, if you blow a motor during the race, there is no penalty for the next race regardless of it being the first engine swap or not. i think that rule only applys during practice/qualifying and between the races (like in kimis case where they decided to swap motors after he actually finished the first race on it)
Old Aug 3, 2008, 10:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by KevinD
if i'm not mistaken, if you blow a motor during the race, there is no penalty for the next race regardless of it being the first engine swap or not. i think that rule only applys during practice/qualifying and between the races (like in kimis case where they decided to swap motors after he actually finished the first race on it)
That is how i understand the rule as well.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Friday practice does not count as far as "race weekend", you can go through as many engines and trans as you like. You guys may be right about blowing up during the race but thats not the way I understand the rule. Your engine has to last 2 race weekends, if it does not then you are subject to a 10 place grid penatly the following race. If they could blow up during the race and not get penalized whats the point in the rule? I think your both wrong on this one.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

All I have to say, is that Schumie never blew a Ferrari engine..I swear it's the way Massa drives...oh well, looking forward to Valencia!
Old Aug 4, 2008, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MyEvoDream
All I have to say, is that Schumie never blew a Ferrari engine..I swear it's the way Massa drives...oh well, looking forward to Valencia!
Yes he did... His most recent being Suzuka 2006 while leading FA. If he had won that race (which he was going to do) he most likely would have gone on to win his 8th World Championship. That failure basically handed FA his second Championship.

It's hard to blame the driver for an engine failure in todays world of rev limited cars.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inneedof
Massa's failure broke my heart today. I was very glad to see Glock finish so well!
My sentiments exactly.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 02:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Friday practice does not count as far as "race weekend", you can go through as many engines and trans as you like. You guys may be right about blowing up during the race but thats not the way I understand the rule. Your engine has to last 2 race weekends, if it does not then you are subject to a 10 place grid penatly the following race. If they could blow up during the race and not get penalized whats the point in the rule? I think your both wrong on this one.
I was always under the impression that the 2 race rule was there to keep overall costs down and to prevent different motor set ups at every track. You would think that dnf-ing would be penalty enough. Could be wrong, but this is just how i understood the rule.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 02:26 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
As in 2007, drivers must use the same engine for two consecutive events, an event comprising final practice, qualifying and the race. If that engine fails in final practice or qualifying and has to be changed ahead of the race, the driver will be given a grid penalty - 10 places if the change was made before qualifying, or the back of the grid if it was made following qualifying.

However, in an amendment for 2008, each driver is allowed one ‘free’ change per season, unless that change takes place at the final round. In other words, he will not incur a penalty for his first engine failure of the year, as long it is not at the last event.
The race grid penalty is for blowing the motor during final practice or qualifying. If you blow the motor during the race, the penalty is the DNF. The goal of this rules was to discourage running qualifying motors that would blow up after 3 or 4 qualifying laps, swapping in a new distance motor for the race, then back to the qualifying setup for the following race practice/qualifying.

If you blow up a motor in consecutive races, then you would incur the 10 spot penalty at the following race (since the second blown motor was only used for one race).

Stupid rule, regardless of how it works out.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was glad to see Toyota on the Podium! ... So far we've seen Maclaren, Ferrari, BMW, Redbull and EVEN HONDA!!!! on the podium ... Now all that is left is Force India
Old Aug 4, 2008, 03:21 PM
Former Sponsor

i think they have as much of a chance as super aguri does
Old Aug 4, 2008, 03:38 PM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by inneedof
i think they have as much of a chance as super aguri does
Where's Michelin when you need them?
Old Aug 4, 2008, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
The race grid penalty is for blowing the motor during final practice or qualifying. If you blow the motor during the race, the penalty is the DNF. The goal of this rules was to discourage running qualifying motors that would blow up after 3 or 4 qualifying laps, swapping in a new distance motor for the race, then back to the qualifying setup for the following race practice/qualifying.

If you blow up a motor in consecutive races, then you would incur the 10 spot penalty at the following race (since the second blown motor was only used for one race).

Stupid rule, regardless of how it works out.
Thanks WSB for explaining that...

On a side note, if the Honda can end up on the podium so can Force India, this is Formula1, anything can happen. That being said, I don't think we'll see it this year.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 04:53 PM
El Jefe

I doubt they'll podium, but I'd like to see them get some points if only to make up for Sutil getting punted by Kimi in Monaco.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 04:57 PM
Former Sponsor

+1 on seeing FI score a point, as long as it is Sutil
Old Aug 4, 2008, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

It's hard to blame the driver for an engine failure in todays world of rev limited cars.
I do believe there is a switch that will give them a couple extra hundred RPMS. The way Massa shot out and ran away from Hamilton. Massa was not light on fuel. I have a feeling that Massa was driving the crap out of that F2008. They said they had no indication that the motor was about to go. I dont know if any one here taped the race but I think David Hobbs said that it seem like Massa was slowing down because he was down on his times.

Quick Reply: 2008 Formula1 discussion