Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2008 Formula1 discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2008, 05:47 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Yeah, I would have liked to see Kimi finish. He ran a great race and at least deserved the 8 points.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 07:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Break the rules, get punished.... it is really as simple as that. If this happened a few spots back no one would be complaining. The ruling was just... it is just unfortunate that it changed the outcome so much. With out being forced to fallow rules what is the point of having them.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 07:57 PM

I agree that was BS. It was a fair race til the end. It was an avoidance manuever that had to be done by Hamilton or both would have been out of the race. He did the right thing by letting him pass. Kimi should have already had the advantage when hamilton lifted to let him by. Kimi doomed himself unfortuanately by spinning and crashing. Massa got lucky.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 08:19 AM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by inneedof
Break the rules, get punished.... it is really as simple as that. If this happened a few spots back no one would be complaining. The ruling was just... it is just unfortunate that it changed the outcome so much. With out being forced to fallow rules what is the point of having them.
By the "rules" Kimi should have been punished 25 seconds for forcing Hamilton off the road. Hamilton did everything he was supposed to - he avoided contact, and after coming back on track ahead of Kimi, he ceded the position free and clear.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
By the "rules" Kimi should have been punished 25 seconds for forcing Hamilton off the road. Hamilton did everything he was supposed to - he avoided contact, and after coming back on track ahead of Kimi, he ceded the position free and clear.
i saw it a different way... i guess it all comes down to opinion really.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:38 PM
El Jefe

What opinion? What race were you watching? Lewis advanced his position after Kimi ran him off the track, he gave the position back, then resumed racing. It's been done before countless times and was never punished. Kimi was blocking (swerving) after Lewis gave him the spot back, then ran into Lewis after he was passed on the next turn. Watch it again if you need to, maybe in black and white so you're not blinded by red fever, but there's absolutely no ****ing way Kimi is the "victim" in that instance.

For what it's worth, Charlie Whiting (FIA Race Control) told McLaren he thought the move was OK. The Belgian stewards decided otherwise.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The stupid thing about this entire saga is how the FIA doesn't have a set group of Stewards that travel to every race. WTF is that?!?!
F1 has so much money on the line that it is unimaginable that they have a different set of poeple making these decisions week in and week out. NASCAR has racing directors and set poeple that call the shots, why not F1?
Old Sep 10, 2008, 01:22 PM
El Jefe

I believe the 3 stewards are appointed by the FIA, but I'm not sure who nominates them or how they are chosen. I believe there is an effort to minimize nationalism or favoritism, but it seems that it'd be easier to have a set group of stewards that were at every race.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
What opinion? What race were you watching? Lewis advanced his position after Kimi ran him off the track, he gave the position back, then resumed racing. It's been done before countless times and was never punished. Kimi was blocking (swerving) after Lewis gave him the spot back, then ran into Lewis after he was passed on the next turn. Watch it again if you need to, maybe in black and white so you're not blinded by red fever, but there's absolutely no ****ing way Kimi is the "victim" in that instance.
^This^

If you watch it a second time you can clearly see what went on. Granted it was raining a little at that point, but you can see that Hamilton had the grip but lifted slightly in order to yield the position to Kimi, who then decided to swerve to block Hamilton when he attempted a pass. Raikkonen was only victimized by his decision to drive like a jackass.

Schumacher did the same thing in Hungary 2006 but never gave the position back AND didn't get penalized...
Old Sep 11, 2008, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nj_08_gts
^This^

If you watch it a second time you can clearly see what went on. Granted it was raining a little at that point, but you can see that Hamilton had the grip but lifted slightly in order to yield the position to Kimi, who then decided to swerve to block Hamilton when he attempted a pass. Raikkonen was only victimized by his decision to drive like a jackass.

Schumacher did the same thing in Hungary 2006 but never gave the position back AND didn't get penalized...

He also broke the front suspension on his car causing him to not finish the race, but ended up scoring a single point because someone else was handed a penalty moving him up to 8th place.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

WELL my friends everything will be decided after all the appeal will be heard. BTW RAIN IN THE FORCAST FOR MONZA, I HOPE THEY DONT GIVE HAMILTON A PENALTY FOR THAT!!!
Old Sep 11, 2008, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

Apparently they looked at the onboard computers and telemtary, and before kimi started swerving to avoid getting overtook, he was going 4mph faster than hamilton + the fact mclaren were told TWICE that the move was OK I hope they get the points back
Old Sep 11, 2008, 07:48 AM

Not sure how you didn't see the position being given back. I don't think it's relevant how or why he got off track, or how the pass was made later. He obided by the rules by intentionally giving the positoin back, even tucking in behind Kimi and matching his speed before making the subsequent pass. Not sure what other interpretatoin there is to that. ???
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you're an idiot, and probably the only person outside of those biased stewards and ferrari's camp that won't admit it's total BS. there's no opinion in any of this. if you watched the race at all it's clear that kimi ran hamilton off the track, hamilton gave the spot back and out braked him in the corner, then they both got caught up when that williams car came back on track, hamilton went off again, shortly after kimi spun, hamiltion took the lead again, and won the race. opinion plays no part in any of that. they are all pretty clear facts. the call was totally 100% wrong.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ODUB
...they are all pretty clear facts.
Now, now. We can't let little things like facts get in the way of Ferrari winning.

Quick Reply: 2008 Formula1 discussion