Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2008 Formula1 discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Guys, you all need to read from the press conference today at Monza. Look at the way the drivers see it...

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/9/8358.html

All the drivers feel he gained an advantage, they also feel the penalty was a bit harsh.
Just read...
Old Sep 11, 2008, 01:15 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
I'm struggling to understand how lifting off and letting Kimi pass him isn't "giving back the position". He gave the position back. Kimi finished the lap ahead of LH. LH passed him in turn 1 despite Kimi blocking him several times.

Hell, Fisi admits he only "saw pictures". F1 drivers are all pussies, they don't express their opinion about anything.

Seriously, it's like we're talking about two different events here.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

They all agree he gained an advantage... plain and simple. Yes he let Kimi by, but he wasn't being punished for passing him. If he hadn't cut the chicane he wouldn't have been close enough to get by when he did.
I understand you don't like the ruling, I don't like them taking the win away either. He should be penalized, but not that way. In NASCAR they take points and money. Do that, but don't take the win.
It is what it is... He did gain an advantage eventhough he gave the spot back, he could of had him in the hairpin.
But whatever, I'm moving on... it's time for MONZA.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:43 PM
El Jefe

Are you missing the part where Kimi ran him off the road after losing the inside line? Hamilton was alongside Kimi when he (LH) went off to avoid contact (which Kimi forced and was not punished for).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP5pxQGlzFM

Horrible video (hand cam of the Speed broadcast), 45 seconds in or so.

LH lost probably 0.2 or 0.3 second as a result of this. LOST, not GAINED.

If this doesn't get overturned and Massa or Kimi win the championship by 2 or 3 points... yeah, that's good for F1.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

What I see is Kimi taking his line, the driving line... Thats the way they race, you think Hami hasn't done the same exact thing xx amount of times this season? Driver on the inside has the line, LH was on the outside.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 05:10 PM
El Jefe

It's an S turn...

I guess it's irrelevant. As long as it favors Ferrari it seems most people are OK with it.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

No I still think it's f-ed up...

Only 2 points between LH and FM now.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by grillpt
Guys, you all need to read from the press conference today at Monza. Look at the way the drivers see it...

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/9/8358.html

All the drivers feel he gained an advantage, they also feel the penalty was a bit harsh.
Just read...
do you honestly think the drivers are going to voice their disapproval of the FIA's terrible ruling during an FIA press conference? lol come the hell on man. that would be suicide, and a sure fire way to get themselves targeted by an unfair governing body the next time they do anything slightly questionable. they did the smart thing and just said "yes sir, no sir, we love you FIA...please don't beat me." the ruling was total bull**** and 90% of the people out there and 100% of the articles i've read so far all agree it was bull****. anybody with eyes and any sense can see it was bull****.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by inneedof
i saw it a different way... i guess it all comes down to opinion really.
1st of all it was a great race. I agree, Lewis did gain a huge advantage by cutting the chicane. Lewis is a very talented and ruthless driver. As to Kimi pushing his off, Kimi was just taking his racing line, it's up to the car behind to pass without going off. When driving 10/10ths and attacking a corner at full speed the cars are going to naturally drift outside. It's not like the cars have unlimited grip where the driver can just take a different line midcorner. As the driver in front, no one is going to slow down or take a tighter line so that it allows the other driver to pass. Duh! He'll try to use as much of the track as possible to gain an advantage. It's up to the car behind to pass by modifying their line. Unfortunately the penalty is deserved although is was little excessively harsh.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
1st of all it was a great race. I agree, Lewis did gain a huge advantage by cutting the chicane. Lewis is a very talented and ruthless driver. As to Kimi pushing his off, Kimi was just taking his racing line, it's up to the car behind to pass without going off. When driving 10/10ths and attacking a corner at full speed the cars are going to naturally drift outside. It's not like the cars have unlimited grip where the driver can just take a different line midcorner. As the driver in front, no one is going to slow down or take a tighter line so that it allows the other driver to pass. Duh! He'll try to use as much of the track as possible to gain an advantage. It's up to the car behind to pass by modifying their line. Unfortunately the penalty is deserved although is was little excessively harsh.
question, how did he gain any advantage when he was going almost 7kph slower than kimi after he gave him the position back? he even tucked back in behind him after giving the position back, then kimi braked way early for the corner and lewis passed him.

AND

kimi eventually passed lewis again and took the lead back, so that made the whole off track/on track/pass incident irrelevant. then Kimi spun ON HIS OWN, and later crashed ON HIS OWN. Hamilton had NOTHING to do with any of that. so no, that penalty was not deserved. it was total bull****. it's also bull**** that they punished him in that way. there were other ways to punish him without stripping his win and giving ferrari such an unfair boost in the championship standings. FIA - Ferrari International Assistance
Old Sep 13, 2008, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's clear that there's a heavy bias in here and it sucks. Lewis passing Kimi the first time was Kimi's own fault with all the swerving BS. Lewis hit the brakes later and with more confidence. Kimi let him pass, then tried to F him up in the next sequence of turns. My... how is it that there was no penalty served out for that??....
Old Sep 13, 2008, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoTec
It's clear that there's a heavy bias in here and it sucks. Lewis passing Kimi the first time was Kimi's own fault with all the swerving BS. Lewis hit the brakes later and with more confidence. Kimi let him pass, then tried to F him up in the next sequence of turns. My... how is it that there was no penalty served out for that??....
Oh yeah, let us not forget how SF got away with murder in Monaco.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

WOW!!! What a session...

Best Quali of the year hands down!
Old Sep 13, 2008, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by grillpt
WOW!!! What a session...

Best Quali of the year hands down!
Agreed. I don't think anybody expected that...even the drivers
Old Sep 14, 2008, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

good race. great charge from the back by hamilton. exciting race overall. now if the FIA decides to un**** hamilton in the coming appeal hearing, all would again be right with the world...but that's probably not going to happen since plain facts, video and telemetry data, and common sense don't seem to have any bearing on their decision

Quick Reply: 2008 Formula1 discussion