Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2008 Formula1 discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2008, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good race...
I would have liked to see a dry line form a little sooner, but what are you gonna do. I love seeing Vettel win, if I were him I would stick with Torro Rosso, they seem to getting their act together. Nice to see Kubica on the podium at Monza again. Heikki looked like someone just killed his dog, he knows he should have won that race.
Kimi set fast lap again, his 9th of the season. I think the records 10.
Did anyone else notice that Lewi was driving like a complete a**hole. I understand you want to get to the front, but come on. Running poeple off the road and bumping wheels is just not cool.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 09:26 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
It still amazes me that with the billions of dollars they spend, nobody can forecast rain in the F1 world. Great run by Vettel / STR. Too bad Lewis didn't go to intermediates in his 1st stop. It seemed like a safe bet at that juncture, especially with the previous weekend fresh in their minds.

Did Hamilton or McLaren explain why they were able to catch up to the Alonso/Heidfeld/Massa pack of cars so easily, but be totally unable to pass once there?

FYI, per the Speed guys, Charlie Whiting said the litmus test of giving back the spot in a chicane incident was to go through another corner behind the other driver. That will ensure them they're safe. Massa had a situation where he made a pass by cutting the turn and eventually he gave the spot back, so it seems that the fear of a ridiculous penalty sunk in on most of the drivers/teams.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 11:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im glad Hamilton was behind Massa at that juncture, so he could see how to properly give a spot back.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Probably the best finishes this season so far. Not one of the big names standing on the podium. Kimi (check), Lewis (check), Massa (check) .... It would'be been nice to see either Weber, Bourdais, Alonso or Trulli in place on Heikki. That would've been awesome! The German national anthem followed by the Italian national anthem was very Michael Schumacher remenisent.

As for the chicane cutting incident, as everyone already knows its because Lewis went off track that he incurred the penalty. Now consider this, if there were obstacles like on the chicane in Monza or the Lewis hit the brakes and slowed down to tuck behind the Kimi and managed to stay on track, he would have been a lot slower and unable to follow Kimi as closely on the straight that followed.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

hey look at that... Minardi aka redbull finally won a race...

that's awesome. Vettel definately drove a good race, too bad bourdais stalled on grid otherwise I suspect he would have been on the podium.

I don't really like hamilton that much, but you have to give him credit for coming up through the field like that. I do think that he was getting a little to aggresive on old tires towards the end, but that's just his inexperience coming out.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
Good race...
I would have liked to see a dry line form a little sooner, but what are you gonna do. I love seeing Vettel win, if I were him I would stick with Torro Rosso, they seem to getting their act together. Nice to see Kubica on the podium at Monza again. Heikki looked like someone just killed his dog, he knows he should have won that race.
Kimi set fast lap again, his 9th of the season. I think the records 10.
Did anyone else notice that Lewi was driving like a complete a**hole. I understand you want to get to the front, but come on. Running poeple off the road and bumping wheels is just not cool.I didn't see him run anyone off the track. I saw someone getting passed cleanly. If you want to see someone get run off the track, just watch the Spa race again...

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
It still amazes me that with the billions of dollars they spend, nobody can forecast rain in the F1 world. Great run by Vettel / STR. Too bad Lewis didn't go to intermediates in his 1st stop. It seemed like a safe bet at that juncture, especially with the previous weekend fresh in their minds.
Vettel drove his @ss off and deserved that win 110%.
Intermediates is what screwed Lewis in the first place. Better to be safe than sorry. Full wets was the right call. Gambles are for those who are running at the back of the pack and have nothing to lose.

Did Hamilton or McLaren explain why they were able to catch up to the Alonso/Heidfeld/Massa pack of cars so easily, but be totally unable to pass once there?
I honestly believe he was masking a problem. Either their was an issue with his tires or an issue with his powertrain.

FYI, per the Speed guys, Charlie Whiting said the litmus test of giving back the spot in a chicane incident was to go through another corner behind the other driver. That will ensure them they're safe. Massa had a situation where he made a pass by cutting the turn and eventually he gave the spot back, so it seems that the fear of a ridiculous penalty sunk in on most of the drivers/teams.I'd say so.

Originally Posted by inneedof
Im glad Hamilton was behind Massa at that juncture, so he could see how to properly give a spot back.If it were Kimi instead of Heildfeld who was illegally passed by Massa, he would have probably been re-passed in the following corner because of excessive defensive driving.

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Probably the best finishes this season so far. Not one of the big names standing on the podium. Kimi (check), Lewis (check), Massa (check) .... It would'be been nice to see either Weber, Bourdais, Alonso or Trulli in place on Heikki. That would've been awesome! The German national anthem followed by the Italian national anthem was very Michael Schumacher remenisent.
It is nice to have a change and very little drama for once.

As for the chicane cutting incident, as everyone already knows its because Lewis went off track that he incurred the penalty. Now consider this, if there were obstacles like on the chicane in Monza or the Lewis hit the brakes and slowed down to tuck behind the Kimi and managed to stay on track, he would have been a lot slower and unable to follow Kimi as closely on the straight that followed.
I think you're being a little bit too optimistic. If there were obstacles or walls at the last chicane in Spa, Lewis would have held his line and both drivers would have DNF.
Originally Posted by chrisw
hey look at that... Minardi aka redbull finally won a race...

that's awesome. Vettel definately drove a good race, too bad bourdais stalled on grid otherwise I suspect he would have been on the podium.

I don't really like hamilton that much, but you have to give him credit for coming up through the field like that. I do think that he was getting a little to aggresive on old tires towards the end, but that's just his inexperience coming out.

Very very true. But after reviewing old vids of Senna, Schumacher, and Villeneuve, Hamilton is very tame by comparison...
I thought it was a damn good race. Obviously I was praying for more rain but it didn't work out that way. A very clean race with one DNF. Not too bad considering the conditions. Can't win them all I guess. Until next time. MM all the way!!!!

Can someone please explain why the h3ll Coulthard is almost always involved in the smashing of some carbon bits every race?????

Last edited by NoTec; Sep 15, 2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by inneedof
Im glad Hamilton was behind Massa at that juncture, so he could see how to properly give a spot back.
i see you're the village idiot of this thread.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 04:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Sorry i have my own opinion and don't just listen to what everyone else says... stop acting like a little ***** and get over it.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ ODUB seems to like to talk down to people... just what I've noticed.

Of course everyone has there own opinions and see things the way they want to see them.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
ODUB: If you have nothing nice to say or add to the discussion, try to avoid posting

Originally Posted by NoTec
Can someone please explain why the h3ll Coulthard is almost always involved in the smashing of some carbon bits every race?????
Because it is his last season?

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Sep 16, 2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
ODUB: If you have nothing nice to say or add to the discussion, try to avoid posting
agreed. ODUB, if you can't say anything that contributes to the conversation, go away and have a
Old Sep 20, 2008, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Got a Ferrari? / Not quite good enough at driving? / Are other boys faster than you in the wet?

Then you need:-

FIA

Ferrari International Assistance

This exclusive Ferrari-only membership club has many benefits, including:-

Anti-overtaking assurance - Been overtaken? Feel a bit silly? Don’t worry, we’ll rule out the other party, even if it’s embarrassingly obvious that they’re faster than you.

Things a bit tight when leaving the pits? - Just to make things a little bit easier we’ve arranged a private second lane, just for you.

Had a crash? Need to win the world championship? - Don’t worry, just limp across the track and take out your nearest championship title contender – we’ll do the rest.

A bit strapped? Need extra cash? - simply get one of your team to tell someone else how you make your cars.
Bits falling off your car? Looking a bit dangerous? - At Ferrari International Assistance we operate a ‘blind eye’ policy just for Ferrari drivers.

Been a bit silly? Taken out another driver whilst following the safety car? - It’s ok, as long as you didn’t hurt yourself. I mean, who is Force India anyway? And how dare they be in front of you?
A bit bored? Want some extra action? - With FIA-plus you can take part in a number of extracurricular membership err... activities ;-)

Not sure when you might need us next? Relax! Check out our track record. We’re confident that we’ll be able to make something up on the spot that will get you out of any pickle that you might find yourself in!

- Making it up as we go along for over 50 years.

Last edited by ODUB; Sep 20, 2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
Got a Ferrari? / Not quite good enough at driving? / Are other boys faster than you in the wet?

Then you need:-

FIA

This exclusive Ferrari-only membership club has many benefits, including:-

Anti-overtaking assurance - Been overtaken? Feel a bit silly? Don’t worry, we’ll rule out the other party, even if it’s embarrassingly obvious that they’re faster than you.

Things a bit tight when leaving the pits? - Just to make things a little bit easier we’ve arranged a private second lane, just for you.

Had a crash? Need to win the world championship? - Don’t worry, just limp across the track and take out your nearest championship title contender – we’ll do the rest.

A bit strapped? Need extra cash? - simply get one of your team to tell someone else how you make your cars.
Bits falling off your car? Looking a bit dangerous? - At Ferrari International Assistance we operate a ‘blind eye’ policy just for Ferrari drivers.

Been a bit silly? Taken out another driver whilst following the safety car? - It’s ok, as long as you didn’t hurt yourself. I mean, who is Force India anyway? And how dare they be in front of you?
A bit bored? Want some extra action? - With FIA-plus you can take part in a number of extracurricular membership err... activities ;-)

Not sure when you might need us next? Relax! Check out our track record. We’re confident that we’ll be able to make something up on the spot that will get you out of any pickle that you might find yourself in!

- Making it up as we go along for over 50 years.
So true. So true.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
in Spa, if Hamilton didn't cut the last chicane he wouldn't be right on Kimis ***. THey would probably be 1/2 apart and Kimi would still be first on that turn. Also it clearly states in the rules that you can't overtake until after the first turn, if you happen to cut a chicane and gain a position

Since the race was almost over, and Hamilton broke the rules, they had no choice but to give penalty after the race and take away his win.

Im surprised nobody from McLaren remembered about this rule and told Hamilton not to overtake him right away.
Old Sep 21, 2008, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letMeIn
in Spa, if Hamilton didn't cut the last chicane he wouldn't be right on Kimis ***. THey would probably be 1/2 apart and Kimi would still be first on that turn. Also it clearly states in the rules that you can't overtake until after the first turn, if you happen to cut a chicane and gain a position

Since the race was almost over, and Hamilton broke the rules, they had no choice but to give penalty after the race and take away his win.

Im surprised nobody from McLaren remembered about this rule and told Hamilton not to overtake him right away.
i want to see where it says that in the rules. when they recited the rules they said that there was no set time limit on how long you had to wait to pass again. all the rules said was you have to give the position back. AFTER this happened, in the next race, THEN people asked the question and the FIA said you have to wait another corner. also, if he hadn't cut the chicane they both would have crashed out of the race. kimi bumped him off the road, that's why he cut it. he was inside on that turn and kimi forced him off. yes, he would have been right on his *** after the turn and kimi still would have braked TOO EARLY. hamilton would have made the pass anyway, only it may not have been by so much. they likely could have been side by side with hamilton on the inside just like in the chicane when KIMI FORCED HIM OFF.

BUT

none of that matters anyway because that sequence had NO, i repeat, ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT ON THE OUTCOME OF THE RACE because kimi regained the lead almost immediately, then spun ON HIS OWN giving hamilton the lead. then KIMI WRECKED ON HIS OWN. so this ruling was total BS.

Last edited by ODUB; Sep 21, 2008 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 Formula1 discussion