Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2008 Formula1 discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2008, 11:51 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Yeah, there's nothing in the sporting regulations about waiting until after the next turn. That was Charlie Whiting's CYA answer.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by letMeIn
in Spa, if Hamilton didn't cut the last chicane he wouldn't be right on Kimis ***. THey would probably be 1/2 apart and Kimi would still be first on that turn.

LOL. Did you actually see the race? Hamilton made up 2 seconds in 6 laps before he passed Kimi. Plus it was beginning to rain, where Hamilton is very good and the Ferraris generally suck, putting further advantage on Hamilton. It was just a matter of time before Hamilton passed Kimi.

Also it clearly states in the rules that you can't overtake until after the first turn, if you happen to cut a chicane and gain a position
It does not clearly state that in the rules. The rules state that the driver cannot gain advantage from such a move. Charlie Whiting (Race Directory FIA) stated AFTER the race that the driver should wait at least one corner before attacking.

Whats further, Hamilton lost the lead to Kimi after he went wide and into the grass. Kimi later spun out completely on his own while chasing a few cars behind Lewis and smashed into the wall making the whole point moot.

Race control had two laps to indicate to Mclaren that something was disputed or possibly wrong. It might take some time to come to a final decision but indication to the pit that something is wrong is generally immediate.

Mclaren claims they did receive 2 assurances that they were okay immediately following the pass.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't you guys move on... there's been race since then for gods sake. Atleast wait till the appeal judgement is made before you bring it up again.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes I saw the race. And Hamilton was trying to force his way on the outside. Kimi had racing line and he stuck to it. Hamilton knew he could always cut the chicane if it didn't work out, and thats what he did.

If he would follow Kimi through chicane he would not be as close to him as he were after cutting the chicane. After kimi exited the chicane, it was a drag race from almost the beginning. Kimi had to make up some speed because he followed the track. Hamilton was already on higher RPMs . After he let him go by, he got on his *** right away and made his move on the firts corner.

I highly doubt if Hamilton would go through chicane as he should, he would overtake Kimi on the first corner. later on probably, but not on the first corner. After that Kimi got little reckless, and eventually spun out and crashed out .

And as for the rule. Even if you give back the position you gained, why don't you give back the distance and speed as well. Exiting slow corners, 2nd car will always be slower than the first. But if you cut chicane, and maintain higher RPMs, it gives you unfair advangate over the guy ahead of you.

He got what he deserved.

Last edited by letMeIn; Sep 22, 2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

After kimi exited the chicane, it was a drag race from almost the beginning. Kimi had to make up some speed because he followed the track. Hamilton was already on higher RPMs . After he let him go by, he got on his *** right away and made his move on the firts corner.
Hamilton let him go by. He gave up his position.

If Hamilton had tried to stay on track, he would have cut that curb and bounced right into the ferrari. It was a responsible move.

And as for the rule. Even if you give back the position you gained, why don't you give back the distance and speed as well. Exiting slow corners, 2nd car will always be slower than the first. But if you cut chicane, and maintain higher RPMs, it gives you unfair advangate over the guy ahead of you.
Well before you said:

Also it clearly states in the rules that you can't overtake until after the first turn, if you happen to cut a chicane and gain a position
Now you're arguing distance and speed.

If you watch the second corner, clearly hamilton's car outperforms Raikonen's car, clearly out braking him. Raikonen's grip level was worse than hamiltons. You can see the ferrari squirming out of all the corners around this time as Kimi tries to lay down the power.

When they came out of the chicane, Hamilton had about a car length advantage and Raikonen was accelerating faster than Hamilton as Hamilton immediately gave back the position. So the argument that Hamilton had greater momentum is hogwash.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
look at the replays on youtube. Hamilton had no business when they both entered the chicane. he was on the outside and nowhere to go. He had 2 options, slow down and get behind Kimi ( as he should ) or cut the chicane and keep his momentum. He opted for 2nd choice and because of it he was able to remain very close to Kimi and keep his speed which allowed him to overtake Kimi on the next corner.

And as for waiting for the next corner before they can overtake. If it is not in the FIA rule book, Mclaren will win the appeal. I guess we will see it today.

Im not a Ferrari nor McLaren Fan. Just to me, Hamilton got little advantage by cutting the chicane. Thats is all. He would probably still overtake Ferrari, since McLaren cars are clearly faster than everyone else on the track right now, but panelty is just, in my opinion.

Now bring on 2009 cars and slicks.

Last edited by letMeIn; Sep 23, 2008 at 05:48 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Appeal was rejected one more for Ferrari!!!
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

^Imagine that...

Srsly, can we move on now...
Old Sep 23, 2008, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

I also believe it is time to move on. The rules are a bit clearer now and the title chase is even more fierce. Should make for some very interesting competition and intense battles these last few races.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
look at the replays on youtube. Hamilton had no business when they both entered the chicane. he was on the outside and nowhere to go. He had 2 options, slow down and get behind Kimi ( as he should ) or cut the chicane and keep his momentum. He opted for 2nd choice and because of it he was able to remain very close to Kimi and keep his speed which allowed him to overtake Kimi on the next corner.

Im not a Ferrari nor McLaren Fan. Just to me, Hamilton got little advantage by cutting the chicane. Thats is all. He would probably still overtake Ferrari, since McLaren cars are clearly faster than everyone else on the track right now, but panelty is just, in my opinion.
Not a Ferrari fan either and I see it the same way ... ultimately the penalty was handed because he went off the race track. Now if Lewis had slowed down to stay behind the Kimi then he wouldn't be able to keep up coming out of the final corner in the chicane. If there were obstacles like at Monza, this would be a non-issue as Hamilton would have to slow down to avoid those obstacles ... Great bit of racing, unfortunately outcome for being overly aggressive.

Can't wait for the next race ...

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Sep 23, 2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And as for waiting for the next corner before they can overtake. If it is not in the FIA rule book, Mclaren will win the appeal. I guess we will see it today.

Now bring on 2009 cars and slicks.

i don't know what race you were watching, but hamilton was not on the outside of the turn. he was on the INSIDE, and side by side with kimi, then kimi turned in on him, bumped him, and he cut the chicane. he cut the chicane so kimi wouldn't crash them both out of the race. it was a bs call by the FIA.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Get over it!!! Hami did...
Old Sep 27, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Singapore is fabulous and the setting is d@mn near awe inspiring. I really have to agree that the pit entrance and exit are absolutely stupid. We may see an incident tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if Coulthard is in the middle of it again. Except for Australia, we haven't seen too many mass accidents this season, so hopefully the trend continues. Massa is fast but MM is up to the task. May the best man win. MM all the way!!!
Old Sep 27, 2008, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

^ I liked how Hami almost didn't make Q3

The track does look amazing, although I don't think were gonna see any passing. I would be suprised if we do, maybe the first lap or two. Especially when Kimi gets around Hami on the start... Good to see Vettel in 7th and both Williams in the top 10, I think thats a first for them this year.
Can't wait for the race to start, 7:30am bright and early...
Old Sep 27, 2008, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Unfortunately Kimi doesn't start actually driving the Ferrari until the last ten or so laps. He *always* seems to just motor along like he's sleeping in the first 3/4 of each race. Like he's just bored with racing in F1.

Pity.

Quick Reply: 2008 Formula1 discussion