Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2008 Formula1 discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2008, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just reviewd the final few laps twice. Thank goodness for dvr. It was absolutely clear that Glock had no traction at the end of that last lap. He was fighting to keep the car strait exiting the last two corners.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NoTec
Just reviewd the final few laps twice. Thank goodness for dvr. It was absolutely clear that Glock had no traction at the end of that last lap. He was fighting to keep the car strait exiting the last two corners.
I guess it just came as a shock to most viewers because it seemed the announcers forgot about Glock's slowed pace. Everyone was focused on Lewis trying to retake Vettel. All of a sudden they were like " And Glock is out!!", when Lewis and Vettel came up to his position.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Fantastic race for Massa. Congrats on the world championship Lewis Hamilton, well fought, well deserved. Excellent show of sportsmanship in the post race interview on Massas' part.

Vettle is amazing.

Next year is going to be awesome, the post schumi generation is so much better to watch.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 02:44 PM

yeah Glock didnt have a chance when it began to rain harder on the last lap

What a race
Old Nov 2, 2008, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
True but did you see the fnal laps?, Glock was leading comfortably until the very last turn and just in the last yards all the sudden he loses one second plus.

I am not indenial of the great Hamilton skills, he is great, Massa did well also but Cmon man, it was total BS how it happened. Evryone was celebrating Massa's worldchampionship when all the sudden in the last second everything changes.

Timo's performance can't go from superbrilliant to underachiever in just 200 yards.

My .2c

Carlos

Thats how us Hamilton fans felt after Spa bro. Way too much political bs this year.
Reminds me of JM. Balestre and his hatred toward Senna because he was not French.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 08:31 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
True but did you see the fnal laps?, Glock was leading comfortably until the very last turn and just in the last yards all the sudden he loses one second plus.

I am not indenial of the great Hamilton skills, he is great, Massa did well also but Cmon man, it was total BS how it happened. Evryone was celebrating Massa's worldchampionship when all the sudden in the last second everything changes.

Timo's performance can't go from superbrilliant to underachiever in just 200 yards.

My .2c

Carlos
Glock was slow the last lap and a half. There really wasn't any part of his race that was "super brilliant". Toyota gambled that the rain wouldn't come and it didn't work as well as hoped.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 08:35 AM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by broddey
I just can't believe Vettel had the brass to pass Hamilton! I almost had a myocardial infarctum!

err however you spell it
Vettel is an incredible driver in the rain. Probably the best in F1, far above Alonso and Hamilton.

Also, he has a Ferrari engine behind him. He knows the name of the game.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 08:38 AM
El Jefe

WOw, I gotta say that I thought the TRUE Ferrari fans would be congratulating Massa on a brilliant performance. I guess I'll have to do it for them. Congratulations Massa for an excellent race and an excellent year. We hope you will be able to provide us with such an excellent display of skill and sportsmanship next year.
No doubt. Consider that he lost 18-20 points from team issues (engine failure and the fuel hose, both in races he was top 2). I like Massa a whole lot more than Kimi.

I really, really hope Renault and Sauber can close the gap. A 4 way race between Hamilton, Massa, Kubica, and Alonso? With Kimi occasionally crawling down from the Emo tree to win a race? Might actually be worth watching.

One thing I don't get... Vettel is moving from STR to RB-Renault? How is that not a demotion? The STR cars were clearly a league apart.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
One thing I don't get... Vettel is moving from STR to RB-Renault? How is that not a demotion? The STR cars were clearly a league apart.
No F'n idea!!! That is the big debate here at work today. Renault should've picked him up. But we would have probably had another 2007 MM war situation on the Renault camp for '09.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 09:19 AM
El Jefe

No F'n idea!!! That is the big debate here at work today. Renault should've picked him up. But we would have probably had another 2007 MM war situation on the Renault camp for '09.
I'm pretty sure he is under contract with Red Bull (which owns RB-Renault and sponsors STR-Ferrari).

I know RB-Renault is the "parent" team but it's quite obvious that STR has a better car. I don't see RB-Renault making that big of a leap to make up the difference.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

I wished Timo could have held out. Massa deserved the championship. In looking back to the season and to the final results, Massa got robbed.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by r.m.s.
I wished Timo could have held out. Massa deserved the championship. In looking back to the season and to the final results, Massa got robbed.
And Hamilton did not? Come on!
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:44 AM
El Jefe

I don't know that either of them "deserved" it. They both had seasons that were sometimes great, and sometimes almost comical. Kubica was the steadiest driver, but his car was not quite there.

In the end, despite the farce at Spa, Hamilton prevailed.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1st of all I have to say that was the most exciting race of the season!!! The finish couldn't have been more climatic ... The weather really rolled the dice on the beginning and end of the race. WOW!

Congrats to Lewis for winning the drivers championship!
Congrats to Ferrari for winning the constructors championship!
Congrats to Massa for winning the race and Alonso and Kimi coming 2nd and 3rd respectively. Awesome! Simply awesome!

Watching Massa win the race but lose the championship during the last lap was bitter sweet. But he took it like a gentleman and true sportsman. Well done.
Watching Vettle take it to Hamilton during the final laps was very exciting and watching Vettle and Hamilton pass Glock during the last corner of the last lap was just unbelieveable. The crowd was booing Lewis as expected.

This is why we watch F1 folks!
Now a few things need to be cleared up, Timo Glock didn't magically slow down during the last lap. As others have mentioned Toyota gambled on tires and lost during the last lap. If the rain had held off a little during the last lap the outcome could've been significantly different as far the driver's championship is concerned.

Timo didn't magically slow down, any of you that have driven on a race track in real life during rain with bald/slick tires know this. The last corner of the track is an up hill, high speed, long sweeper. If you don't have traction coming out of the last turn going into this sweeper you're not going to be carrying enough speed. PERIOD! And thats unfortunately what happen to Glock ...
Old Nov 3, 2008, 02:18 PM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Timo didn't magically slow down, any of you that have driven on a race track in real life during rain with bald/slick tires know this. The last corner of the track is an up hill, high speed, long sweeper. If you don't have traction coming out of the last turn going into this sweeper you're not going to be carrying enough speed. PERIOD! And thats unfortunately what happen to Glock ...
Slightly off camber, too. Most of the turns in the third segment are. Crazy track.

Quick Reply: 2008 Formula1 discussion