Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2008 Formula1 discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2008, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice to see Lewis Hamilton get it, but he could use some manners on the track. Not that race though, he seemed pretty civil, guess he had no choice. BTW F those guys I ran a 1:12.284 on that track R Factor/D Box style. Woot Woot !! LOL !
Old Nov 4, 2008, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WrX Kila
And Hamilton did not? Come on!
Okay some examples....

Hungary with three laps to go Massa's engine pops.

Singapore with the pitstop and the fueling rig.

If those two issues alone didn't take place the champion should be....

And Massa has had more 1st place podiums than LH.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by r.m.s.
Okay some examples....

Hungary with three laps to go Massa's engine pops.

Singapore with the pitstop and the fueling rig.

If those two issues alone didn't take place the champion should be....

And Massa has had more 1st place podiums than LH.

Come on. There are just as many situations for LH. Being punted off track my massa? Post race drive through penalty at spa? Bourdais gets penalized and Massa gets a point? Massa clearly should have been penalized. What a joke.

The Ferrari International Assistance League exhausted as many of its rounds as it could trying to get the prancing pony to win.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
I don't know that either of them "deserved" it. They both had seasons that were sometimes great, and sometimes almost comical. Kubica was the steadiest driver, but his car was not quite there.

In the end, despite the farce at Spa, Hamilton prevailed.
I would agree with that, Kubica has been amazing to spectate, and has certaintly become a favorite of mine along with Vettel.

Everyone seems to have forgotten Kimi this year though, hes caught at least 9 maybe 10 podium finishes, he still is an amazing driver.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yooyooyoo
Come on. There are just as many situations for LH. Being punted off track my massa? Post race drive through penalty at spa? Bourdais gets penalized and Massa gets a point? Massa clearly should have been penalized. What a joke.

The Ferrari International Assistance League exhausted as many of its rounds as it could trying to get the prancing pony to win.
Most of Hamiltons mistakes or misfortunes were caused by non other than himself and that goes back to this year and last year. And besides putting Hamilton off track by error or by intent doesnt play out the same with as a DNF, like I said the champion would be different.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 10:08 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
I would agree with that, Kubica has been amazing to spectate, and has certaintly become a favorite of mine along with Vettel.

Everyone seems to have forgotten Kimi this year though, hes caught at least 9 maybe 10 podium finishes, he still is an amazing driver.
Kimi is interesting. Some races he's just spectacular, and other races he seems to ride around enjoying the scenery. Hamilton really gifted him the championship last year by going off in China at the pit entrance; I just don't see the drive like MS had. But he has the talent to score a lot of points for Ferrari so I don't really see him going anywhere - in a way he seems like the perfect #2.

Most of Hamiltons mistakes or misfortunes were caused by non other than himself and that goes back to this year and last year. And besides putting Hamilton off track by error or by intent doesnt play out the same with as a DNF, like I said the champion would be different.
The bogus penalty in Spa was a 6 point swing. Massa probably cost Hamilton 8 points in Italy, though he also cost himself 3-5 points. You can 'what if' a million ways, but unless you're FIA and can arbitrarily change the outcome, it's moot. Ultimately, both teams/drivers put themselves out of a lot of points this year. The fuel tube incident is the only one that you can look at and say "that should never happen". Engine DNFs happen, even for Ferrari (it's just really rare).

It was a great season, and Brazil was the first F1 race I really got excited about in a long while.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Kimi is interesting. Some races he's just spectacular, and other races he seems to ride around enjoying the scenery. Hamilton really gifted him the championship last year by going off in China at the pit entrance; I just don't see the drive like MS had. But he has the talent to score a lot of points for Ferrari so I don't really see him going anywhere - in a way he seems like the perfect #2.

The bogus penalty in Spa was a 6 point swing. Massa probably cost Hamilton 8 points in Italy, though he also cost himself 3-5 points. You can 'what if' a million ways, but unless you're FIA and can arbitrarily change the outcome, it's moot. Ultimately, both teams/drivers put themselves out of a lot of points this year. The fuel tube incident is the only one that you can look at and say "that should never happen". Engine DNFs happen, even for Ferrari (it's just really rare).

It was a great season, and Brazil was the first F1 race I really got excited about in a long while.
Well only 142 Days untill we start all over again.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Well only 142 Days untill we start all over again.
...with moving areo too !
Old Nov 4, 2008, 11:59 AM
El Jefe

No more stupid tire grooves!
Old Nov 4, 2008, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

To all the Timo Glock Haters/ Conspiracy theorists:

taken from Forumla1.com

http://www.formula1.com/news/intervi...8/11/8642.html

Q&A with Toyota’s Timo Glock

Toyota’s decision to keep their drivers on dry tyres when late ran arrived at Interlagos on Sunday helped set up a thrilling finale to the 2008 Formula One season. It also led cynics to question whether Timo Glock had deliberately slowed to assure Lewis Hamilton of the title. ‘Absolutely not,’ says the German…

Q: How did the rain at the end of the race affect your strategy?
Timo Glock: In the final laps we saw that we had the opportunity to make up some places due to the rain. It started to rain lightly on parts of the circuit with around six laps to go and at that stage everyone was on dry tyres. We took the decision to stay out on dry tyres even though the intensity of the rain was increasing we were sure we could make up positions when the other cars pitted for wet weather tyres and because it was only on the last couple of laps that the wet tyre was superior. We stayed out and I was up to fourth but it was not easy in those conditions in the last laps.

Q: What was it like in wet conditions with dry tyres?
TG: It was not so bad until the final lap when the rain really began to come down very heavily and it was just impossible. It was so difficult to just keep the car on the track because it was very wet and the car was basically undriveable in those conditions. I was sliding everywhere, with absolutely no grip at all.

Q: Were you taking it easy on the final lap?
TG: Absolutely not! It was completely the opposite; the final lap was one of the hardest laps I have done in Formula One because there was no grip at all and on dry tyres it was almost impossible to keep the car on track. I was pushing really hard to keep fourth place and if you look at the lap times I was actually faster than Jarno on the final lap and he was the only other car on dry tyres at that stage.

Q: Was it the right decision to stay on dry tyres?
TG: Absolutely no doubt about it. We were running seventh before the rain came and we would have probably finished there if it had been totally dry. Instead we finished sixth so that shows the strategy was the right one.

Q: Did you realise the significance of Lewis Hamilton fighting with you on the final lap?
TG: To be honest I was racing for Toyota and my place which is the correct thing to do. I didn't even know that Lewis was directly behind me. The team told me that Sebastian Vettel was catching me and they kept me updated on his position but I was concentrating so hard on keeping the car on the track. I didn't even know that Lewis had overtaken me until after the race. I was passed by three or four cars on the final lap and it was not easy to keep track of what was going on.

Q: This is the end of your first season with Toyota, how do you assess the year?
TG: It has been very positive for me. At the start of the season I set myself a target of scoring 20 points and in the end I have finished with 25 and a podium in Budapest, so I am very happy with that. The first few races were a bit difficult as I was adjusting to a new car and a new team but we all worked really hard to improve and we made good progress. Finishing fourth in Canada was a big boost for me and the team but the turning point was Hockenheim, where I was really competitive in the race until the mechanical problem. After that I was fighting high up the grid in pretty much every race and we scored a lot of points. But this is only the first step and next year I want to achieve a lot more, so we are already working hard to make another step.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I couldn't agree more...

On a side note, Did you guys see Renault has resigned both Alonso and Piquet. I can't believe he kept his ride.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
I couldn't agree more...

On a side note, Did you guys see Renault has resigned both Alonso and Piquet. I can't believe he kept his ride.
Do you mean Alonso or Piquet?

I'm not surprise that Alonso stayed with Renault. There's really no other top team that he can go to. I doubt it that he would want to go to Honda. Toyota might be better but they won't be able to give him a winning car.

I'm am surprise that Renault resigned Piquet. I would replace him with Sebastian Bourdais.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tvbf1
Do you mean Alonso or Piquet?

I'm not surprise that Alonso stayed with Renault. There's really no other top team that he can go to. I doubt it that he would want to go to Honda. Toyota might be better but they won't be able to give him a winning car.

I'm am surprise that Renault resigned Piquet. I would replace him with Sebastian Bourdais.

Yes Jr.
I was gonna say that about Seabass, but I thought I would have caught hell for it.
He's no Vettel, but he's a hell of a lot better than Nelson.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:50 AM
El Jefe

Bourdais wasn't that impressive. Piquet made a lot of dumb mistakes but his speed was decent; I also suspect he brings some sponsor value.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Bourdais wasn't that impressive. Piquet made a lot of dumb mistakes but his speed was decent; I also suspect he brings some sponsor value.
I'm impressed with Bourdais performance. He's a rookie and he has never tested in F1 before but he did managed to out qualify and raced Vettel at some tracks. If he does not have a seat next year, I think it's pitty because I think he has potential.

I think it's very uncharacteristic of Briatore to keep Piquet. In the past, when a driver performs poorly, he'll give them the boot right away. But I think it's as what you said. Piquet must bring in some sponsor value.

Quick Reply: 2008 Formula1 discussion