Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2008 Formula1 discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2008, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just got done watching quali...

Yeah Baby!!! Thats what I'm talking about.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow Alonso almost had pole. He prolly has very little fuel though.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Phenix@XtremeBoost
Wow Alonso almost had pole. He prolly has very little fuel though.
Seriously, I'm thinking he's going to go like 5 laps before his first stop. There is no way Renault made that much of a jump forward.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

It was a crazy day in Spain... I'm just glad Heikki's going to be OK.
Lots of intresting things going on, glad to see the results that came from it all.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 09:27 AM
Former Sponsor

anyone notice ron dennis' comment on kubica in the prerace grid interview with him? that dudes an A$$
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

^ I thought that was pretty crass myself, I think it wouldn't have been as bad if Robert drove for him.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
anyone notice ron dennis' comment on kubica in the prerace grid interview with him? that dudes an A$$
what'd he say?
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yooyooyoo
what'd he say?
He said Kubica could loose even more weight if he were to do something about his nose...
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

C'mon, RD was just kidding. Granted, I suppose Kubica could take it the wrong way, but if I was Kubica, I'd be like "I'll do something about my nose once you do something about your hair..."

Good to see that Heikki is going to be ok. Looked pretty bad there for a while.

l8r)
Old Apr 30, 2008, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
He said Kubica could loose even more weight if he were to do something about his nose...

Heikki...

They said Kovalainen was travelling at around 240kph when the front left tyre deflated, sending the car into the tyre wall at around 130kph with the driver experiencing a deceleration equivalent to 27g, or 27 times his body weight

They are investigating the incident to figure why it took so long to get md staff on scene.

Based on the reports I read Kovalainen doesn't remember anything, I wouldn't want to remeber a 27g crash either!
Old Apr 30, 2008, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Kevin what was your lead last race did I make up any grounds? 5pt difference seems big but not as bad as the lead we have over Speedking he he haaaa.
Old May 5, 2008, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Away from the groove - Bridgestone on the return of slicksFormula One cars will line up on the grid for this weekend’s Turkish Grand Prix with Bridgestone Potenza grooved racing tyres on them, but for next year’s race the tyres could be very different.

Formula One has raced with grooved tyres since their introduction in 1998, but the regulations for the 2009 season feature a number of changes, including the removal of the stipulation that dry racing tyres must have longitudinal grooves along the tread area.
Old May 5, 2008, 06:59 AM
Former Sponsor

^you gain 5 points on me i made the wrong pick for the win... i thought massa would have pole and history shows the winner is the pole sitter in spain

other then that our picks were the same
Old May 6, 2008, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Super Aguri withdraw from 2008 championship
Following weeks of speculation concerning the future of the team, Super Aguri announced Tuesday that they are to withdraw from the 2008 FIA Formula One World Championship with immediate effect.

Super Aguri, founded by former driver Aguri Suzuki, had been participating in Formula One racing since the 2006 season. The Japanese team, who scored their first championship points after only 22 races (Spanish Grand Prix, 2007) and finished ninth in the 2007 constructors’ championship, will cease all activities as of May 6, 2008.

The Honda-powered team, whose driver line-up comprised Takuma Sato and Anthony Davidson, ran into financial difficulties last year, and completed little winter testing ahead of the 2008 season as a result. A planned buyout by the Magma Group looked set to save the team until that fell through last month, and only last week Suzuki expressed optimism about a new deal with German automotive company Weigl.

Explaining his decision to withdraw from Formula One racing, Aguri Suzuki released the following statement:

“In order to realize my dream to become an owner of a Formula One Team, I applied for a grid position in the FIA Formula One World Championship in November 2005. Since then, I have participated in the championship for 2 years and 4 months as the SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM, but regretfully I must inform you that the team will be ceasing its racing activities as of today.

“The team has competed against the many car manufacturer backed teams and has succeeded in obtaining the first points after only the 22nd race finishing in 9th place overall in the 2007 Constructors’ Championship. However, the breach of contract by the promised partner SS United Oil & Gas Company resulted in the loss of financial backing and immediately put the team into financial difficulties. Also, the change in direction of the environment surrounding the team, in terms of the use of customer chassis, has affected our ability to find partners.

“Meanwhile, with the help of Honda, we have somehow managed to keep the team going, but we find it difficult to establish a way to continue the activities in the future within the environment surrounding F1 and as a result, I have concluded to withdraw from the Championship.

“I would like to express my deepest thanks to Honda, Bridgestone, the sponsors, all the people who have given us advise during various situations over the past couple of years all the Team Staff who have kept their motivations high and always done their best, Anthony Davidson who has always pushed to the limit despite the very difficult conditions, Takuma Sato who has been with us from the very start and has always fought hard and led the team and lastly our fans from all over the world who have loyally supported the SUPER AGURI F1 TEAM.”
Old May 6, 2008, 02:01 PM
Former Sponsor

crazy, but i can see why honda bailed. super aguri barely had any money so development for the next season was likely non-existant. which means supporting a team for the near term is not something that would make any sense.

Quick Reply: 2008 Formula1 discussion