Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Jacks...Jack Stands...and what not

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2008, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jacks...Jack Stands...and what not

Id like to know what sort of jacks and jack stands you guys are using. I bought mine about 2 years ago, but i dont recall for how much. Its a basic Torin Big Red jack coupled with its 2 jack stands.

My primary objective is to get some better jack stands. I would still like to get your thoughts on jacks also, but im not in a hurry to get a new jack. That is more secondary right now. I want to spare myself from having to buy several different ones in order to find something i like. Im tired of the jack stands i have been using, so its time for something better. I searched, but all i was able to yield was info on jacking points and what not.

So, tell me what you guys use. Where you bought them from...how much...and so on. Do you like them? Would you prefer something else?

Thanks
Old Mar 18, 2008, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

I like my Torin aluminum racing Jack. More expensive than big red but better, lighter, easier to lug around.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the red Crapsman 2-ton Aluminum jack. It works, does its job, and is light enough to lug to/from the track.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Actually, Sears has some quality jack stands. You can get some big 6-ton jobs for not too much money. And, hey, if they ever break, your widow can take them back to any Sears and get them replaced for free!
Old Mar 18, 2008, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I got my 2 ton alum. racing jack and 4 alum stands from Harbor Freight. Jack was prolly $60 and the stands were around $7 a piece. I work under the car all the time and the stands weigh all of 3 pounds I think. The jack itself is SUPER light and easy as hell to lug around at the track, even has a handle on the side and it's anodized blue . However if were doing anything serious or going to be under there for awhile, i might have chose a slightly heavier duty one like the steel one at my dads house. But for what I do it suites me just fine.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 01:14 AM
Evolved Member

I hate to admit it but I got a little low profile 3" jack that fits in its own case and is decently easy to lug around for like $30 from ummm.... cough cough.... walmart.

It's worked well so far and I figure as long as it gets it up there my jack stands can provide the important parts of the job as they have to keep it up there once it gets up.

Now what I want are some of those built in air jacks or at least those cool pocketed stand holes you see the rally guys have. Those are the goods!
Old Mar 19, 2008, 06:12 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
I like my Torin aluminum racing Jack. More expensive than big red but better, lighter, easier to lug around.
I've had 2 of those blow up on me already! I think a lot of it was due to the cold, so it bust the seal on the pump.

It's the blue one, right?
Old Mar 19, 2008, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Lately I've been going thru jacks like they are going out of style.

I've busted 2 craftsman trolly jacks so far. The first one broke on the VERY first pump right out of the box. went back to sears and got it replaced same day. the replacement broke as I was finishing the job and lowering the car, luckly I always use jackstands or I would have been pissed. I have no faith in craftman anymore so the last one I got replaced is still sitting unopened in the case it comes in.

I'm also on my second Craftsman "PROFESSIONAL" series ATV jack that I use for R&R trannys and such. the first one busted on me dropping the trans in the z06. if not for jackstands I would be dead because it came down a good foot and a half and stopped inches from my skull. I doubt the safety glasses would have helped much. I returned it and now used the second one a couple of times with no issues but I am super duper carefull and never use it w/o at a min of 2 jack stands and a backup jack.

to replace the widow maker craftsman trolly jack I went to costco and got one of their lightweight low profile aluminum jacks for $199. worked for about nine months and then all of a sudden a seal blew out and hydraulic fluid went everywhere as I was lowering a car. again, good thing for jackstands. now the jack only pumps about an inch at a time, but it still works...

Currently looking for a DECENT aluminum low profile jack that will last more then a year under light use
Old Mar 19, 2008, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

I'm on my 4th craftsman jack..... I'm also looking for a jack that will last..
Old Mar 19, 2008, 08:21 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
to replace the widow maker craftsman trolly jack I went to costco and got one of their lightweight low profile aluminum jacks for $199. worked for about nine months and then all of a sudden a seal blew out and hydraulic fluid went everywhere as I was lowering a car. again, good thing for jackstands. now the jack only pumps about an inch at a time, but it still works...
That's the same thing that keeps happening to me... the seal blows and fluid goes everywhere.

I am trying something different though... last time I lost all my fluid, I found the fluid "fill" plug and filled the jack up with some heavy motor oil, I think it was like 10w40 or something. The fluid that came out of the jack was VERY light and I'm hoping that the motor oil may condition the seals and provide a little more resistance to coming out of a seal.

It seems to be working right now, but it's too cold out to be working on cars... we'll see how it works come spring time.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTLocke13
Actually, Sears has some quality jack stands. You can get some big 6-ton jobs for not too much money. And, hey, if they ever break, your widow can take them back to any Sears and get them replaced for free!
good one
Old Mar 19, 2008, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had one of those pretty blue and silver race jacks from harbor freight. It lasted only one season before falling apart.

Since then I purchased a heavy **** jack from a farming store. It raises the car with ease but weighs about 50lbs.

I would love to have a light weight jack for HPDE tire rotations but I haven't found one worth the price. Maybe I'll try another harbor freight special.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

get a costco jack - you can return it at any time
Old Mar 19, 2008, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My PROLIFT comes with a case ...I also purchased their heavy duty jack stands...you guys can continue to mess with the "crapsman" jacks and stands...and those aluminum stands. Too risky...

ALWAYS USE JACK STANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Last edited by Evoryder; Mar 19, 2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Keep the info coming on jacks, but please dont forget about JACK STANDS. I really need some good jack stands.

It sounds like there are a few people here who have had problems with Craftsman Jacks. I had no idea that they are that problematic. These cases could possibly be exceptions, but they still sound noteworthy.

As far as my jack, its held up fine. I just want to get something better. Im no longer too concerned about the weight, because i only pick it up when i need to pack it into my car. The rest of the time it sits on the ground. As noted in my first post, i have a Torin Big Red jack. Heres what it looks like. Although, i didnt buy mine from here. And i recall that it was for much less.

I just weighed mine on my digital scale:
Jack - 23.4 lbs
Jack stands - 6 lbs
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3355_200313355

I believe the blue one that some of you mentioned is the following one.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...atchallpartial

Again, keep the info coming on jacks, but please dont forget about JACK STANDS. I really need some good jack stands.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Jacks...Jack Stands...and what not