Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

What video cameras are you guys using?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2008, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What video cameras are you guys using?

Just wondering what type of video cameras you guys are using for in-car footage. I have tried 3 different video cameras, including an insanely expensive HD camera, and none of them work. They all seem to shut off as soon as the car starts going, which I am guessing they are vibration sensitive? I have tried both hard drive and DVD video cameras and am about to go old school with an 8mm to see if that works.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Any "drive" or moving media based one should and will shut off due to the vibrations experienced on a road course. You need one that dumps to an CF card or solid state PVR. Lots of those kits available with the trackvision and the like use CF cards. However, some people who mount to a roll bar floating with a decent amount of rubber for the clamp have no problems with the Sony camera's and similar.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Ahhh, gotcha. Damn I have wasted a lot of money on video cameras...
Old Mar 20, 2008, 01:49 PM
Account Disabled

I used to use the mini-DV ones from sony, whatever the top of the line one was at the time I would pick up for the new season...
Old Mar 20, 2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by EgoKillerEVO
Just wondering what type of video cameras you guys are using for in-car footage. I have tried 3 different video cameras, including an insanely expensive HD camera, and none of them work. They all seem to shut off as soon as the car starts going, which I am guessing they are vibration sensitive? I have tried both hard drive and DVD video cameras and am about to go old school with an 8mm to see if that works.
Is your buttons shifting while you are driving?
Old Mar 20, 2008, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AltezzaBob
Is your buttons shifting while you are driving?
No, I highly doubt it. There is nothing around the camera that the button could be hitting.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

I use a Chase Cam. It looks pretty good when I plug it into my big screen. For quality of the image, you can check out the link in my sig that says 'in car footage.' Any of the bumper cam stuff in there was filmed using the Chase Cam, recorded onto an 8gb flash card.

Dave
Old Mar 21, 2008, 06:48 AM
Account Disabled

I 2nd the Chase cam. I'm waiting for there systems to be in stock. I've used SD camera's with tapes.... Sony HD cams with tapes and they all start to rattle them selves apart after a while from all the vibrations. My recommendations are either

1. Chase cam (very expensive but no moving parts)
2. Canon is coming out with a great flash based SD cam called the FS11 next month. (no moving parts)
Old Mar 21, 2008, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

has anybody tried the VholdR cam? it looks promising and its less than $400
Old Mar 21, 2008, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

I want this one. The price is still a little high, but I plan on picking one up soon.

http://www.vio-pov.com/products.php?...ogin=&mem=&gr=
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:08 AM
spt
Evolved Member

I'm using ChaseCam and a canon miniDV (ZR800) setup. The nice thing about ChaseCam is if you ever get a AIM Sport Dash or Traqmate you can hook it up to chasecam so people can see your speed, etc.

Here's a video i made with the current camera setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsVCDg6ygBI
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

I've had no trouble with a Sony MiniDV and a Hoyt Tech lipstick cam (sony camera). Camera is mounted to the rear deck w/wide angle lens for in car or in center console when recording with the lipstick cam.

This is on a stiffly sprung autox car, so may not translate as well to a track car with longer sessions.

John
Old Mar 21, 2008, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Most all of us in USTCC use Sony or other miniDV cams mounted on IOPort mounts, and I haven't heard of any problems.

Make sure the battery isn't coming loose and causing the shutoff. Use the smallest battery you can, and I usually end up putting some paper under the battery so it has a tight fit.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by spt
I'm using ChaseCam and a canon miniDV (ZR800) setup.
I've got the Canon miniDV (ZR800) as well. I just went with the cheapest Canon/Panasonic I could find with an external mic attachment so I could lead that to the trunk nearer the exhaust.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Mike, i use one of these. Although, i bought it about 10 years ago. Gosh, mine looks identical to that one. I still have those same stickers and all.

Quick Reply: What video cameras are you guys using?