Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Race Technology DL-1 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2008 | 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Race Technology DL-1 Discussion

Well I just got a DL1 datalogger and am working on getting to know the unit and the software. Because the software has so many features I thought I would start a discussion where folks can share information on how they use it to view the data.

I did some logs with my new '08 Tundra to test 0-60mph and 40-90mph acceleration to get to know the software. I am then adding a CAI and cat back and going to retest. Looks like my best 0-60mph time was a bit under 6.5 seconds . . .

So far I have not been able to get the data screen to look like what I've seen from other's screen shots. Can you set up a "template" so that everytime you open data to view it displays in the same format?

Also, has anyone wired up an RPM signal to log that? Do you just splice into the RPM wire at the ECU or did you use the clip you clip to your coil wires?

Last edited by EVOlutionary; May 5, 2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2008 | 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Looks like my 30-70 time is around 6.34 seconds and 50-90mph is 8.80 seconds. Not too bad for a big 4x4
Old Apr 11, 2008 | 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Been looking at getting one myself. install pics!!!
Old May 6, 2008 | 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subscribed

<--DL-90

I will try to take a pic of my setup tonight but I haven't tapped into the tach or anything yet..
Old Jul 9, 2008 | 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I've been playing with it and so far I LOVE THE DL-1!!!

At the last couple events, looking at my logs vs. my co-drivers logs has helped me go faster on day 2. It is really interesting to see how one driver may consistently carry more speed into corners, while another may carry more speed out of a corners. . . put both of those together and you both get faster!
Old Jul 10, 2008 | 07:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
How does the DL-1 compare to something like a Traqmate? BTW, what is real world gas mileage for a new Tundra?
Old Jul 10, 2008 | 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know enough about the two of them to comment, but I can tell you that I know several people who could use whatever they want, and they picked the DL-1. . .

As for the Tundra, love the truck, love the power, hate the thirst for fuel. Mixed city and highway diving it gets about 13MPG. Towing my car and trailer at 75-80mph it gets about 13MPG. . .

If I didn't get so much enjoyment out of the 400+ ft.# of torque then it would probably get 15-16mpg driving to work . . .
Old Jun 15, 2009 | 11:14 PM

Bumping a year-old thread...

EVOlutionary, make any progress hooking up sensors to your DL1? I've had RPM and TPS hooked up from the beginning, and finally got around to adding coolant temp tonight. The DL1 handles RPM just fine of course, but TPS and coolant temp need an equation of some kind to correlate voltage with useful units, and I haven't really come up with anything.

I'd like to start logging more sensors (can I log sensors that go to the ACD computer?), but if I can't correlate them to real numbers I'm not sure how useful they'll be. I thought of logging with the DL1 and EvoScan at the same time and trying to match up numbers, but I'm hoping someone else has done this already. I've checked the race-technology forum, but I think I need some vehicle-specific information, and they're not really good for that.

Other than trying to address that issue, this thing has been great. It's nice to see why I'm slow some days and fast other days and why my codriver is always faster than me. The software has a steeper learning curve than some other dataloggers I've used (the first 30 minutes were spent thinking "what have I gotten myself into"), but now that I've been using it a few months I can't imagine using anything less.
Old Jun 16, 2009 | 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Nah, I gave up. I learn much better from seeing and doing than by reading instruction manuals. I figure some day I'll have someone well versed in it come and set my car up and give me a tutorial. . .

I pretty much am just using it for track mapping to compare different line, braking points, entry/exit speeds, etc. Even that is not real accurate. I know our actual speeds are about 5mph higher than what the GPS says. . .
Old Jun 16, 2009 | 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
I know our actual speeds are about 5mph higher than what the GPS says. . .
What are you basing that on?
Old Jun 16, 2009 | 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

8K rpm rev limiter in 2nd should be ~66mph. . . highest I've ever seen on the DL1 is 62mph. . . even when on the limiter for a couple seconds. . .
Old Jun 16, 2009 | 09:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
whats the refresh rate for the GPS?

- drew
Old Jun 16, 2009 | 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

5hz
Old Jun 16, 2009 | 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
8K rpm rev limiter in 2nd should be ~66mph. . . highest I've ever seen on the DL1 is 62mph. . . even when on the limiter for a couple seconds. . .
The speed measurement is the most accurate function on the DL1. Email Al Seim at race technology and make sure you have the latest firmware update. There were some bugs initially that screwed up rpm/wheel speed measurements, there might have been bugs with the gps functions as well.

our DL1 speed measurements match rev limiter/gear/tire size calculations to the tenth of a MPH.
Old Jun 19, 2009 | 09:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Would it be possible to send me a raw data file to look at and play around with?

I'm toying with the idea of making my own software....

- drew

Quick Reply: Race Technology DL-1 Discussion