Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Autocross tires

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2003, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autocross tires

Ok autocrossers, I'm looking to purchase some new wheels and tires for the Evo. I'm more than likely going to get CCW's like I had on my 3000GT, but 17x8.5 instead of the 17x10's I have, OR possibly the SSR competitions.... Haven't made up my mind yet.

Anyway...... Having spoken to TireRack, they only have 1 tire in stock size (Perelli P-Zero Corsa). What brand and size r-compound tires are you running.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

The SSR Comps are quite heavy for auto-x in my opinion. You might want to go with Enkei or Volks; they are roughly 5-6 lbs lighter per wheel.

In terms of tires, I do not have a seperate set for auto-x and I will be giving a try to the new Pirelli Neros soon. But, for auto-x, I would go with either Kumhos or Hoosiers.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Since you're talking about maybe going to wider wheels, you likely don't want stock size tires, so don't worry about that.

I've heard many autoXers running 245 or 255 width tires with no problems. Also it seems that 275 will not fit -- they will not clear the strut.

I've got a set of Hoosier 245/40ZR17 A3S03 tires in my basement waiting to be mounted -- waiting for my 17x8 Enkei RPF1 wheels to be delivered. Because I'm autoXing in Stock class, 17x8 is the only wheel size allowed for me.

The RPF1 wheels are about as light as you'll get (15.5 lbs per wheel) without going to forged aluminum wheels, which cost much more.

The RPF1 wheels were cheap enough (less than $240 a wheel), that I felt justified in stepping up to the Hoosier tires, which are the undisputed king of the autoX circuit.

The Kumho Ecsta V700 tires look real good -- the local top Evo autoXer has been running them the last few months and winning basically every event. But I've heard that the Kumho VictoRacer V700 are also very good, and I'm told the VictoRacer tires will last longer.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

If you are staying in stock, you need to the same size wheel as came from the factory. Maybe use the SSR's for the street...

As far as auto-x tires, I have been using Kumho Ecsta V700s. Great tire with grip that seems to last through several heat cycles and you have the ability to flip them on the rim after they wear down so you can utilize the whole tire and not just run them until the outside edge is gone(I am in stock class, not much negative camber). Kumho now recommends that they be shaved for dry autocross or track sessions so you lose some tread depth for the sake of not chunking the tire. Adds a little to the tire price, but not as much as a Pirelli. I have not heard from anyone running the Corsa so I can't help you there.

Hoosier makes a good tire, a little more than the Kumho and not as good in wet conditions. It is a great dry tire however.

Just a note, make sure the Tirerack is checking all their warehouses. When I bought mine, the first rep was pushing the Hoosiers or the Michelin Pilots since they didn't have the Kumhos in the South Bend warehouse. I had the Kumhos shipped from Nevada for about $2.00 more in shipping.

Do you ever run in Lexington with CKR SCCA at UK or EKU? I drive the Yellow OZ in HS. Look me up if you get over that way.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll probably just stick it out for the rest of the year on stock wheels and tires. Hopefully there will be a bigger selection of them by next season.

Jason, yes, I run at most of the CKR events. I used to drive the black 3000GT. We spoke for a little bit once, I liked your car. My home region is the Kentucky region, and I've found myself going to Cincy and Dayton Ohio too. I'm sure we'll chat again!
Old Aug 11, 2003, 01:43 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a good idea. Use the rest of this season to decide what category you want to run in, because that will determine how you mod your car in many aspects. Like they said, stock category requires oem wheel sizes, so you could put race tires on that and use the 18s for street. Or go up to ESP and run with some mods. Whatever you do, good luck and post pics!!!
Old Sep 18, 2003, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Have you received your new wheels and installed the Hoosiers? How are they working for you in the 245 size for autocross? Where did you purchase your Enkei RPF1s? I was also looking at these and the Enkei WRC Tarmac Evo, as good lightweight autocross wheels, but haven't really starting looking for a place to purchase them. What offset would you recommend to come close to whatever stock is? I assume the stock bolt pattern is 5x114.3. Is this correct? Thanks

Originally posted by jbrennen
Since you're talking about maybe going to wider wheels, you likely don't want stock size tires, so don't worry about that.

I've heard many autoXers running 245 or 255 width tires with no problems. Also it seems that 275 will not fit -- they will not clear the strut.

I've got a set of Hoosier 245/40ZR17 A3S03 tires in my basement waiting to be mounted -- waiting for my 17x8 Enkei RPF1 wheels to be delivered. Because I'm autoXing in Stock class, 17x8 is the only wheel size allowed for me.

The RPF1 wheels are about as light as you'll get (15.5 lbs per wheel) without going to forged aluminum wheels, which cost much more.

The RPF1 wheels were cheap enough (less than $240 a wheel), that I felt justified in stepping up to the Hoosier tires, which are the undisputed king of the autoX circuit.

The Kumho Ecsta V700 tires look real good -- the local top Evo autoXer has been running them the last few months and winning basically every event. But I've heard that the Kumho VictoRacer V700 are also very good, and I'm told the VictoRacer tires will last longer.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Evo8RA
Have you received your new wheels and installed the Hoosiers? How are they working for you in the 245 size for autocross? Where did you purchase your Enkei RPF1s? I was also looking at these and the Enkei WRC Tarmac Evo, as good lightweight autocross wheels, but haven't really starting looking for a place to purchase them. What offset would you recommend to come close to whatever stock is? I assume the stock bolt pattern is 5x114.3. Is this correct? Thanks

I guess you could say they've been working very well. My co-driver and I both put up excellent results last weekend. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=39809

I bought the RPF1s from Nino's Auto Accessories. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=32078
Old Sep 18, 2003, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

Do you happen to know the weight of the original Enkei 17x8 wheel?
Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

20lbs.

IIRC the Tarmac Evo's are heavier than that. I think you may be able to get them forged in certain sizes, though.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 01:49 AM
Evolving Member

Falken Azenis: works pretty well during cold and/or wet conditions; lasts the longest, legal even in novice classes. you have to keep them cool by spraying them down. traction goes to $h!+ when they get hot.

Kumho VictoRacer: offers more grip than the Azenis, but your lap time will suffer until the tires warm up (read: if you are running in the morning, with a HUGE run group like what you see with SFR SCCA) then you could be in trouble to keep your tires warm. under ideal conditions you should see about a second or so off of lap time you would get with Azenis (assuming ~60sec course). expect those tires to last 80~100 runs assuming you don't over drive the car.

Hoosier A3S03/R3S03: even stickier than the VictoRacer, you should see yet another second off of your lap time (again, assuming ~60sec course). again, warming up your tires is critial. these tires don't last long, and the traction they provide drops off rather quickly when compared with the previous two tires. people have told me that they start losing grip after as little as 40~50 runs (that's 10 events maybe less!) and they are very pricy. only consider those tires if you've got the savings account balance to back it up.