Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Is there a definitive opinion on the 6 speed?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problems here yet. Hoping I dont jinx myself in this thread though. I change my tranny fluid before each event, and Im using castrol syntorq LT (the mopar stuff) bought from quad4x4.com. Runs like a champ. The other day they opened up the track and just went open session for like 4 hours, and after about 30 mins on track I felt it getting notchy. Just brought her in and let her cool down. Just be aware that it could happen, but if you take care of it should be ok. Im putting down 380 torque on a dynojet btw, so way over the recommended. Just take care of her. Change the fluids they wear out quick with heat and friction/heat is the problem with the gears fragging.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VR4orceCJ
Lets make this easy... If you track the car, with or without the cooler and regardless of how often you change the gear oil etc. the 6-speed will fail you...or should I say 4th gear will. In my case it was while leading by a considerable amount at Road Atlanta (SCCA T2 National Race) this past Easter...

Jon @ TRE is working on a 5-speed for a swap as we speak. The 6 Speed is fine for a daily driven street car with near OEM WHP, if you track it, it will fail... it's like a time bomb... trust me I had everything you can done to one, changed the MT-90 in it every race or more often in some cases, ran a cooler since day one...although I hammer the car to be competitive, I also heel/toe and keep the shifts smooth since it also helps the car to handle better too

For the track guys...buy a 5-speed car to begin with and save yourself the trouble of doing a swap (like me) later on...

Oh and even with the 5-speed its not bulletproof so be nice to it or you'll have issues as well... Marty seems to go through 5th Gear Syncros every so often.
Daily driven OEM WHP LMFAO!!! Wow, what rock have you been under? The only time the 6-Speed EVER fails (4th gear) is when the car is being tracked (road course not drag). There are SO many MR's that are daily driven with triple the WHP it comes with from the factory and are doing great (granted they may not autocross/road course but TTP comes to mind). I DK where you got that info from but it's so innaccurate it's not even funny .
Old Apr 25, 2008, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SRT-TO-EVO
There are SO many MR's that are daily driven with triple the WHP it comes with from the factory and are doing great (granted they may not autocross/road course but TTP comes to mind).

SRT-TO-EVO,

Please understand that road racing will take it's toll on the 6speed. While there will be those who can make impressive power through that 6 speed without immediate failure it will eventually happen. It's all related to how many cycles the gears see at that power level and when you consider that every straight-away on a road course is basically a 4th gear drag strip/dyno pull the number of cycles that 4th gear will see in a road race EVO add up quickly and lead to 4th gear finally letting go of its teeth.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

I have an 8 MR.
I lost 4th gear on a road course.
If I had to do it again, I would buy a 9 SE instead.

YMMV
Old Apr 25, 2008, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, my 5th gear synchro is slowly going on my 5spd. Gotta play very nice when going into 5th. On the street its fine, but on the track when hitting 5th gear at full power from 4th it is a hassle. ~15 events on the trans. 33K miles.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 09:38 AM

If the deciding factor with regards to possibly having to spend $4k-$6k to replace the 6 speed transmission are the HID headlights, then I think your priorities are out of order. But on the same note, coming from an S2000, I couldn't stand the OEM halogens. I opted for the HIDExpert kit in my GSR, which boasts OEM kelvins with Philips bulbs and Denso projectors, which can both be found as OEM equipment on Lexus models.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GEARS
SRT-TO-EVO,

Please understand that road racing will take it's toll on the 6speed. While there will be those who can make impressive power through that 6 speed without immediate failure it will eventually happen. It's all related to how many cycles the gears see at that power level and when you consider that every straight-away on a road course is basically a 4th gear drag strip/dyno pull the number of cycles that 4th gear will see in a road race EVO add up quickly and lead to 4th gear finally letting go of its teeth.
Are you seriously trying to compare the heat build up between drag and road race? Just by TRYING to make a corrolation between the two you're WAY off. No a run at the drag strip or fourth gear run on the dyno does not equate to 4th gear straight away on a road course and I'll tell you why. You're forgetting all the abuse/friction heat build you've already caused in the turns, not even to mention how LONG you've been on the course racing.The heat cycle you're tranny goes through in a drag/daily drive is worlds different then the heat it gets put through on a road course. You're theory is way flawed, and this thread proves it (since everyone who has broken theirs has only done so yea you guessed it AT A TRACK). I actually never heard of one MR 4th being stripped or melted on the street or at a strip. Why do you think that is?

Edit: And no it's not about how many cycles " a gear sees at that power level" lol. I would hope nobody is trying to launch in 4th by sidestepping it! Let's not get too carried away here and stick to the facts. IT'S THE HEAT! Nothing else destroys 4th but heat, so to the OP, don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise, it happens because of this and that which means it's weak bs. And if you haven't gotten it by now YES road racing does cause EXCESSIVE heat build-up in the transmission, so play at your own risk.

Last edited by SRT-TO-EVO; Apr 25, 2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

To think that the 6 speed fails merely because of overheating shows your lack of knowledge in this field.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

To think that the 6 speed fails merely because of overheating shows your lack of knowledge in this field.
We all know it's due to heat/friction..... show's yours. Better yet please elaborate for all of us to see, instead of just talking. I can pull up a couple threads for you. Let's see what you've got.

Last edited by SRT-TO-EVO; Apr 26, 2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Here you go.............looks like you're the one with some learning to do buddy . Read up before speaking nonsense.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...210221&page=52
Old Apr 26, 2008, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Oh.... ok I see, you're a thread reader. Reads it in a thread therefore it must be true.

So, you have no real evidence to back up what you are spouting other than reading threads that don't really have much support to your claims other than the car was being used for road racing when 4th gear failed. Nice and I suppose that you believe a oil cooler sitting in a beer cooler full of ice is going to save the day?

Have you personally had a 6 speed transmission apart? Do you know the shaft spacing? Have you had a burn off done of the gears to know the choice of steel they are using? Have you calculated how many Ksi the gear teeth will be exposed to in relation to the torque that is going into the transmission? Have you seen the less than ideal contact pattern that 4th gear has and know how to make the proper corrections? Can you answer any of these questions?

I suggest that you keep on reading those threads that pertain to the 6 speed before you go any further, you might just find that the problems are a little more than just some heat.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Oh.... ok I see, you're a thread reader. Reads it in a thread therefore it must be true.

So, you have no real evidence to back up what you are spouting other than reading threads that don't really have much support to your claims other than the car was being used for road racing when 4th gear failed. Nice and I suppose that you believe a oil cooler sitting in a beer cooler full of ice is going to save the day?

Have you personally had a 6 speed transmission apart? Do you know the shaft spacing? Have you had a burn off done of the gears to know the choice of steel they are using? Have you calculated how many Ksi the gear teeth will be exposed to in relation to the torque that is going into the transmission? Have you seen the less than ideal contact pattern that 4th gear has and know how to make the proper corrections? Can you answer any of these questions?

I suggest that you keep on reading those threads that pertain to the 6 speed before you go any further, you might just find that the problems are a little more than just some heat.
SO explain buddy. Let us know what you know, beside the fact that EVERYONE (or the majority) who has shredded theirs WAS tracking and/or using diff fluids. So yes until you tell us something we/I don't know I will stick to reading up on what other's know and have found. You have still told me nothing.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Keep on reading....
Old Apr 26, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Jhon, stop feeding the trolls!
Old Apr 26, 2008, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wingless
Jhon, stop feeding the trolls!
Troll cause I'm asking him to explain (i.e. learn something new). Hmmmmm........

Quick Reply: Is there a definitive opinion on the 6 speed?