Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Is there a definitive opinion on the 6 speed?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2008, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SRT-TO-EVO
Troll cause I'm asking him to explain (i.e. learn something new). Hmmmmm........

Or.. not listening to what he says and arguing with him, but no worries, I don't really care either way
Old Apr 26, 2008, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daily driven OEM WHP LMFAO!!! Wow, what rock have you been under? The only time the 6-Speed EVER fails (4th gear) is when the car is being tracked (road course not drag). There are SO many MR's that are daily driven with triple the WHP it comes with from the factory and are doing great (granted they may not autocross/road course but TTP comes to mind). I DK where you got that info from but it's so innaccurate it's not even funny .
TTP blew out 4th gear on their six speed a long time ago if my memory serves me right. But hey you know everything mayne
Old Apr 26, 2008, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is he a troll? I don't know for sure but I'll trying being nice because trolls sure can be mean from what I read in a thread somewhere on the internet.

Ok ok.... let's talk about the 6 speed AGAIN.

Simply put, it's rated for 290ft.lbs torque. That is the fatigue limit or working torque, the torque that the transmission can withstand pretty much indefinitely without failure... assuming all components are in good shape. The promo kit for the 6 speed transmission that was given to Mitsubishi shows the torque rating on a bar graph with the shaded area from 260-290ft.lbs and this correlates with the destructive static load testing that I’ve done with the 6 speed. The 5 speed is not published but from what I've gathered it should be roughly 425ft.lbs. Mitsubishi refers to the 5 speed as their "high torque" transmission... and that it is.

The shaft spacing is close together on the 6 speed than the 5 speed. This means that the Ksi on the gear teeth is going to be higher in the 6 speed transmission and the amount that the teeth flex will also be more in relation to the torque being fed through it and the more torque the more bend and the less number of cycles it will be able to survive. The 3-6 gears are much narrower in the 6 speed. This is going to reduce the surface area and punish the oil film strength and in defense of and in agreement with Mr. SRT-TO-EVO it'll generate some extra heat which can over time anneal the gear and cause it to wear out prematurely.

HOWEVER, before you go swinging yer junk around keep this in mind, I have been through lots of 6 speed transmissions that have broken the teeth off of 3rd & 4th gear who have never autocross or road raced their 6 speed EVO. There were no signs of overheating and the gears Rockwell'd out at the same hardness as the new gears right from the supplier. I have seen terrible 4th gear contact patterns in both low mileage and factory new transmissions that would lead to uneven loading on the teeth and a much higher probability of fatigue failure that doesn’t involve overheating. If anything, their super duper racey race clutch and NLTS habits accelerated the transmission to an early gear failure. If you’ve read enough threads you’ll find that I do recommend an oil cooler for the 6 speed but eventually cyclic fatigue will catch up with the 6 speed transmission. Now let’s see your beer cooler/oil cooler

Last edited by GEARS; Jun 6, 2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wingless
I don't really care either way
That makes 2 of us.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GEARS
Is he a troll? I don't know for sure but I'll trying being nice because trolls sure can be mean from what I read in a thread somewhere on the internet.

Simply put, it's rated for 290ft.lbs torque. That is the fatigue limit or working torque, the torque that the transmission can withstand pretty much indefinitely without failure... assuming all components are in good shape. The promo kit for the 6 speed transmission that was given to Mitsubishi shows the torque rating on a bar graph with the shaded area from 260-290ft.lbs and this correlates with the destructive static load testing that I’ve done with the 6 speed. The 5 speed is not published but from what I've gathered it should be roughly 425ft.lbs. Mitsubishi refers to the 5 speed as their "high torque" transmission... and that it is.

The shaft spacing is close together on the 6 speed than the 5 speed. This means that the Ksi on the gear teeth is going to be higher in the 6 speed transmission and the amount that the teeth flex will also be more in relation to the torque being fed through it and the more torque the more bend and the less number of cycles it will be able to survive. The 3-6 gears are much narrower in the 6 speed. This is going to reduce the surface area and punish the oil film strength and in defense of and in agreement with Mr. SRT-TO-EVO it'll generate some extra heat which can over time anneal the gear and cause it to wear out prematurely.

HOWEVER, before you go swinging yer junk around keep this in mind, I have been through lots of 6 speed transmissions that have broken the 4th off of 3rd & 4th gear who have never autocross or road raced their 6 speed EVO. There were no signs of overheating and the gears Rockwell'd out at the same hardness as the new gears right from the supplier. I have seen terrible 4th gear contact patterns in both low mileage and factory new transmissions that would lead to uneven loading on the teeth and a much higher probability of fatigue failure that doesn’t involve overheating. If anything, their super duper racey race clutch and NLTS habits accelerated the transmission to an early gear failure. If you’ve read enough threads you’ll find that I do recommend an oil cooler for the 6 speed but eventually cyclic fatigue will catch up with the 6 speed transmission. Now let’s see your beer cooler/oil cooler
Good info. Thanks.

d
Old Apr 26, 2008, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you for the explanation, now I understand. Sucks for me I guess lol, I guess that means when the 6 goes, in with a 5. Is there a place that sells an oil cooler kit?
Old Apr 29, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

HOWEVER, before you go swinging yer junk around keep this in mind, I have been through lots of 6 speed transmissions that have broken the 4th off of 3rd & 4th gear who have never autocross or road raced their 6 speed EVO. There were no signs of overheating and the gears Rockwell'd out at the same hardness as the new gears right from the supplier. I have seen terrible 4th gear contact patterns in both low mileage and factory new transmissions that would lead to uneven loading on the teeth and a much higher probability of fatigue failure that doesn’t involve overheating. If anything, their super duper racey race clutch and NLTS habits accelerated the transmission to an early gear failure. If you’ve read enough threads you’ll find that I do recommend an oil cooler for the 6 speed but eventually cyclic fatigue will catch up with the 6 speed transmission. Now let’s see your beer cooler/oil cooler
Good info.

What is the recommended gear oil? Is Redline MT-90 a good choice angainst the OEM?
Old Apr 29, 2008, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you for the explanation, now I understand. Sucks for me I guess lol, I guess that means when the 6 goes, in with a 5. Is there a place that sells an oil cooler kit?

props for not posturing pathetically in the face of overwhelming authority.

From what I've read Warrtalon's 6spd lasted quite a while before letting go of 4th. Some people are lucky and it takes forever to go, even with plenty of HPDE'ing, etc.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
<----- Over 10 track days, Several Drag Racing events. 3.5 years of ownership, 87,000 miles, Tranny Oil been changed 4 times its whole life.

Still ticking like a champ. Its a little notchy in 2nd, but still works great!
Lucky? - Maybe
Happy? - Definitely
Old Apr 29, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

One customer took his 6 speed MR to the track with 800 miles on it and broke 4th gear and burnt it up really good all in 2 twenty minute sessions back to back.

Several people seem to have them fail with low miles on them where if the car gets some miles on it they do much better.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Gears,

I know this has been beaten like a dead horse. Is there no way to get a stronger gear set? A better material? Or because of the thinner gears no matter what they will break? I just wish there was a cheaper alternative then buying a 3000 dollar built 5 speed.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by h22gordo
<----- Over 10 track days, Several Drag Racing events. 3.5 years of ownership, 87,000 miles, Tranny Oil been changed 4 times its whole life.

Still ticking like a champ. Its a little notchy in 2nd, but still works great!
Lucky? - Maybe
Happy? - Definitely
How much power do you actually have ? And what tranny fluid?

Thanks.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mike01gsr
Gears,

I know this has been beaten like a dead horse. Is there no way to get a stronger gear set? A better material? Or because of the thinner gears no matter what they will break? I just wish there was a cheaper alternative then buying a 3000 dollar built 5 speed.
Last summer I had a shop in Detroit who makes gears for Williams (the jet engine guys) do a set for the 6 speed. I have yet to take that transmission apart to see how they are doing.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Last summer I had a shop in Detroit who makes gears for Williams (the jet engine guys) do a set for the 6 speed. I have yet to take that transmission apart to see how they are doing.
O RLY? Now is that because it hasn't "broken" yet? Is the transmission been used
for HPDE? I'm sure the 6 speed community would love to know. Honestly I like the
6-speed except for the fact I'm affraid it's gonna break on me!

Mike
Old Apr 30, 2008, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Here you go.............looks like you're the one with some learning to do buddy . Read up before speaking nonsense.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...210221&page=52

holy crap! I fell out of my chair laughing when i read that.

I'm sure it's been figured out by now but perhaps you should check 'GEARS' public profile. You'd find his website rather informative.

http://www.teamrip.com/

Quick Reply: Is there a definitive opinion on the 6 speed?