Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Is there a definitive opinion on the 6 speed?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GEARS
Last summer I had a shop in Detroit who makes gears for Williams (the jet engine guys) do a set for the 6 speed. I have yet to take that transmission apart to see how they are doing.
Interesting. Any outcome? Improvement, or waste?
Old May 1, 2008, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So far so good but the car is not making a ton of power either. I kinda let the ball drop on that one and didn't want to bring it up until after I had seen the gears and could get another set made up. I'll get back on that.
Old May 1, 2008, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by griceiv
holy crap! I fell out of my chair laughing when i read that.

I'm sure it's been figured out by now but perhaps you should check 'GEARS' public profile. You'd find his website rather informative.

http://www.teamrip.com/

Trust me you weren't the only one, obviously SRT-TO-EVO doesn't know who GEARS is ....

I only hope others can learn from this ...
BTW, I'm still on my original 6 speed. 53K miles and just a slightly notchy 2nd gear shift when the tranny is cold (think subzero temps). Tranny oil changes every 15K miles with stock Diaqueen fluid. Multiple HPDE trackdays and auto-xs with many more to come.

Jon,
I would be interested in hearing more about these Detroit shop gears as you get more info and analysis study done on them. I would prefer to keep the 6 speed due to the better synchros and gear ratios if and when I decide to do a rebuild.

Cheers
Old Jun 6, 2008, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

John is that the 6 speed that you built for Donald or a different one. We had you do a peformance 6 speed this winter. It's holding up so far, It made a few passes last week.

John a big question I always get concerning rebuilding the 6 speed is how much stronger will it be if it's fixed. I realize you re-alighn spacing so that the gears engage with each other better. Maybe you improve lubrication as well. Does this add up to significan strengthening or will this tranny always be a wearing part? If my 6 speed can be made better and retain stock drivability then I'll probably rebuild mine if it ever goes out vs dropping a 5 speed in.

Also can a taller/stronger 4th gear be installed yet?
Old Jun 7, 2008, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Last summer I had a shop in Detroit who makes gears for Williams (the jet engine guys) do a set for the 6 speed. I have yet to take that transmission apart to see how they are doing.
bumpity for any update?
Old Jun 8, 2008, 01:55 PM

A freinds MRs trans just blew up everything, the thing is in peices

MRs trannys are straight up JUNK!
Old Jun 8, 2008, 01:56 PM

So far so good but the car is not making a ton of power either. I kinda let the ball drop on that one and didn't want to bring it up until after I had seen the gears and could get another set made up. I'll get back on that.
And what was the cost of this?
Old Jun 8, 2008, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joey a
And what was the cost of this?
TRE now offers shot peened gears for the 6 speed for $800. I don't know if that's what this specific tranny had done though. GEARS please update.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Jon do you have any updates for the new gearset for the 6speed?
Old Jul 12, 2008, 11:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts
GEARS!!!
Old Jul 12, 2008, 09:48 PM

Well, I feel like a dumba** for buying my car after reading this thread
There's nothing I can do about it, I guess - I bought a 6'er and I'm going to have to live with it.

But, when the tranny does grenade itself at my next autox or HPDE, does anyone know of any companies that make a sequential box for the evo?
Might as well have some fun dropping a crapload of cash that I really don't have...

Cheers.

P.S. - Sorry for the hijack
Old Jul 12, 2008, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

I track-day with a coupla buds with 6-speeds, and neither has had any probs yet. As a mater of fact, I have an SE, and it looks to me like the 6-speed has better ratios for the track, so I'm considering swapping out to one. I haven't done enough research yet, but I would prolly have it built up. I'm going to get in touch with the (apparent) Evo trans god "Shep" and pick his brain about it (he would be the one I'd use for modifying it). Considering that this guy sees (and repairs) it all, you might want to contact him yourself. Just search his name on here, and you'll find his contact info
FWIW, I don't see how HID's compare at all to a trans when you're talking a hi-po car, and specifically one that you'll be tracking. To me, if the headlights light up the road in front of me, I don't give it another thought.
Then again.. I'm a "Function over form" guy, too..
Old Jul 12, 2008, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fastkevin
it looks to me like the 6-speed has better ratios for the track, so I'm considering swapping out to one. I haven't done enough research yet, but I would prolly have it built up. I'm going to get in touch with the (apparent) Evo trans god "Shep" and pick his brain about it (he would be the one I'd use for modifying it).
Right on! I see my 6spd as having an advantage and after nearly 30k abusive miles, she's as smoothe as she was day 1.

Off subject - I drove my Dad's 08 XMR today and I was impressed with both form and function. The transmission feels great, I had my doubts but I have been set straight... Super Sport mode basically keeps the RPMs above 4800 and the shift marks seemed almost clarivoyant... Normal and Sport are great for economy and spirited drives respectively. Way to go
Old Jul 13, 2008, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4cdndctn
Right on! I see my 6spd as having an advantage and after nearly 30k abusive miles, she's as smoothe as she was day 1.

Off subject - I drove my Dad's 08 XMR today and I was impressed with both form and function. The transmission feels great, I had my doubts but I have been set straight... Super Sport mode basically keeps the RPMs above 4800 and the shift marks seemed almost clarivoyant... Normal and Sport are great for economy and spirited drives respectively. Way to go
I wuz considering one myself.. Funny thing(not haha funny) though is I read a few articles that tested it against the 9. After they finished spewing all over themselves about how good the 10 MR was, they then told you the 9 beat the snot out of it in lap times. 2-seconds at R-F IIRC, in one article. With how they described how well the new electronics package worked with keeping the car zinging through the turns, and the trans keeping the car in the optimum rpms, plus negating the driver from having to think about blipping the throttle, you find it hard to believe that the 9 beat it, and beat it by that much. If the 10 is that good, why'd the 9 kick it's ***? They didn't really explain that. Makes you wonder if advertising $$ has a big influence on what they write in the article.
In any event, it made me forget about the 10, and keep my 9
Old Jul 13, 2008, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Off topic, but to answer your Q... Stock for stock, the XMR seems more in line with an S4/RS4 than my 05 VIII (I have had 2 S4s). The X is a much more civilized car that stock for stock, I would take over an VIII or IX, especially if daily driven. The latter two mod so well it's hard to say which I would choose once modded, but I was really impressed.

We're taking the VIII and the X to Watkins Glen to a Trackmasters event in 2 weeks, we'll see how the X compares.

Quick Reply: Is there a definitive opinion on the 6 speed?