Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Is there a definitive opinion on the 6 speed?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2008, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Guys for those of you that like the 6-spd and are thinking of a swap I have a complete kit minus the transmission I'd sell cheap... It's on ebay now. You know it's the right parts since they all just came off my MR when I swapped to a 5-Spd.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...245449629&rd=1
Old Jul 17, 2008, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4cdndctn
Off topic, but to answer your Q... Stock for stock, the XMR seems more in line with an S4/RS4 than my 05 VIII (I have had 2 S4s). The X is a much more civilized car that stock for stock, I would take over an VIII or IX, especially if daily driven. The latter two mod so well it's hard to say which I would choose once modded, but I was really impressed.

We're taking the VIII and the X to Watkins Glen to a Trackmasters event in 2 weeks, we'll see how the X compares.
Keep us posted! I want to hear how that turns out!
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by SRT-TO-EVO
SO explain buddy. Let us know what you know, beside the fact that EVERYONE (or the majority) who has shredded theirs WAS tracking and/or using diff fluids. So yes until you tell us something we/I don't know I will stick to reading up on what other's know and have found. You have still told me nothing.
I know this is old, but I love it when keyboard jockeys start spouting off to people who rebuild transmissions for a living. Pure awesomeness
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
I know this is old, but I love it when keyboard jockeys start spouting off to people who rebuild transmissions for a living. Pure awesomeness
Actually it still turns out from the cases I'VE seen have all been from road racing . Great way to rep your company.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Actually...

Whatever you may think, you were still trolling and speaking in a disrespectful way, and you got burned by an expert (GEARS).

+1 for Erik

+1 for listening to experts. You don't go to your dentist to rotate your tires do you? They why would any of us reading this post listen to you, SRT-TO-EVO?
Old Jul 17, 2008, 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Actually it still turns out from the cases I'VE seen have all been from road racing . Great way to rep your company.
Well, TTP blew one up drag racing...no road racing duties

I think I rep my company just dandy. No one's perfect, but I try to keep things civil for the most part. Trying to call out Jon from TRE is, well, a little silly. And even if you don't like me, you may find it hard to resist the über-sexiness of some of our upcoming parts

And bump for Jon getting info on that aftermarket gear set

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Jul 17, 2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

i'm a bit late to this thread but i''ve been through 2 6-speeds as well. similar to somebody jon had mentioned, the first one went with 800miles on the clock with stock fluids. at the end of the first session of the day at t-hill on my first trackday with the new car. this was definitely from heat alone. the 3rd-4th slider warped and bound up. no other strange wear at all besides the shift fork that was trying to push the slider once it started binding. with this failure nothing actually breaks and the gears are fine. exactly like voidhawk's failure.

we rebuilt it(dealer) and figured it might have just been from being tight and not having enough miles on it. so i ran the car for another 5k miles before heading to laguna. this almost made it the whole day but started to bind up again on the last session of the day.
pulled it apart again and obviously it was the same problem. dealer covered it one more time but that was going to be it so since the tranny was out we threw a shep 5-speed in and never looked back. the problem with this particular issue is the difference in wall thickness between the 6-speed and 5-speed sliders. the 6 is practically half the wall thickness material of the 5 and just can't keep it's shape under heat. i had a 03' viii that i tracked for 3 years with not a single problem and haven't had one since after the swap so it's not a driving issue.

also a guy i know up here in norcal that ran his mr in scca t2 had the same thing happen a couple of times. finally he added a cooler with the return dumping cooled fluid right on the slider and that helped quite a bit but it still died by the end of the season and he still ended up doing a swap i believe.

just passing on more firsthand experience with one of the problems of the 6-speeds.

funny thing is that i bought the mr for the hid's and roof mainly. i did like the idea of the 6-speed but if the se would have been out when i bought mine(about three months too early ) i would have jumped on that. as it was i think it was about a 9k price difference between the extra for the mr + the tranny and swap. that extra money could have covered brakes and suspension.

also to the guy that was talking about going to the 6-speed for better gearing, i found at laguna(only place i really got a chance to run the car) i was caught between gears in a few places where i felt like i needed the little taller gear of the 5-speed instead of going up a gear mid-late corner

Last edited by smack_evo; Jul 17, 2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ well you my have just ruined my day...