Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Is there a definitive opinion on the 6 speed?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2008, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a definitive opinion on the 6 speed?

As far as it holding up to road course use? Does a tranny cooler do the trick to keep it together? I hit the track every 4-6 weeks on season, I'm an instructor for NASA and some other car clubs.

I haven't bought an MR yet, but I'm about to pull the trigger. I don't want to get one and then have the tranny blow up on me. At the same time, if all it needs is a cooler, then I'll install one and go on my way.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 06:19 AM
Former Sponsor

First through 3 are very strong, but 4 through 6 are very small, heat build up on 4th gear can cause problems.

Replacement parts are also more expensive, you cant just buy say a second gear syncro you have to buy everything 1-3 gear together

All in all the advantages of the 6speed are outweighed by the negatives

I really don't ever see a reason to spend more money on an mr if you plan on upgrading the suspension
Old Apr 13, 2008, 06:27 AM

I'm not planning on changing the suspension for quite some time.

So does a tranny cooler help? I read the huge thread, it seemed to degenerate into an oil war.

How many people have actually blown these up and how long did they last?
Old Apr 13, 2008, 06:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DocWyte
I'm not planning on changing the suspension for quite some time.

So does a tranny cooler help? I read the huge thread, it seemed to degenerate into an oil war.

How many people have actually blown these up and how long did they last?
A cooler will help, but in the end 4-6 is still small, we are talking a good bit smaller then dsm gears. There are a good number of people that have blown up forth, not really sure of a number. The reason the replacement parts are so expensive is due to the fact that it is not a mitsu tranny
Old Apr 13, 2008, 06:47 AM

Hmm, ok. Looking for others to chime in with personal experience. Don't want to buy an MR and have the tranny blow up on me within one track season.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

What makes you want the mr? I really do not ever see a point in paying any extra for one, the tranny is weaker and cost more to repair, and the suspension is something that will end up being replaced, the se or an rs would make more sense to me
Old Apr 13, 2008, 07:03 AM

Because I'm not going to change the suspension. I want HID's. I've found a super clean stock one for a good price...

So is there anyone out there that's had personal experience with blowing up a 6 speed?
Old Apr 13, 2008, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You saw the thread. There are plenty. The 6-speed is known for blowing up on the track. With the amount of tracking you do, I'd stay away from it. Or buy the MR and sock away 4k to swap in a 5-speed when the 6 kicks the bucket.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

I won't repeat myself from the last giant thread you probably read, I'll simply state good driving and good maintenance make for a 6 speed in good shape.

I do not have a cooler on mine yet after 3 seasons chock full of events but I will likely fab one this season or next unless CBRD produces one.

Good luck!!!
Old Apr 13, 2008, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Cool

Lets make this easy... If you track the car, with or without the cooler and regardless of how often you change the gear oil etc. the 6-speed will fail you...or should I say 4th gear will. In my case it was while leading by a considerable amount at Road Atlanta (SCCA T2 National Race) this past Easter...

Jon @ TRE is working on a 5-speed for a swap as we speak. The 6 Speed is fine for a daily driven street car with near OEM WHP, if you track it, it will fail... it's like a time bomb... trust me I had everything you can done to one, changed the MT-90 in it every race or more often in some cases, ran a cooler since day one...although I hammer the car to be competitive, I also heel/toe and keep the shifts smooth since it also helps the car to handle better too

For the track guys...buy a 5-speed car to begin with and save yourself the trouble of doing a swap (like me) later on...

Oh and even with the 5-speed its not bulletproof so be nice to it or you'll have issues as well... Marty seems to go through 5th Gear Syncros every so often.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 06:36 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
we will have something soon, sorry guys.. overwhelmed.

cb
Old Apr 19, 2008, 01:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SE = HIDS + Lighter + Same lightweight Rims +5spd + cheaper = 'Nuff said.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 03:08 AM
Evolved Member

I thought I wanted a MR too. I thought I wanted ABS and some other stuff.

I wanted a light solid track **** more and got an RS.

I am REAL happy with the RS and to be honest would NEVER give up the lights for the HIDs. They are so damn good I wonder why anyone would want to trade these lighter and VERY effective lights for anything else.

I also found that I don't miss the ABS and even in serious snow only had a few non critical moments when I think ABS would have helped much if at all.

If you want a car that is a little more plush follow Warrs idea and get the SE.

Whatever you do, just say no to the MR. If your going to track it for real sooner or later you will taco the tranny. Not if but when. Why not save money up front and on the backend too? Send a little to me and I'll remember you fondly when I spend it. Better yet spend it on gas, tires and brakes.

Good luck and welcome to the family brother.

PS- you really want the RS.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

I got the regular GSR/SE w/o the options package for the track. I didn't want to pay $5k more for the MR. I didn't want to pay $3k for HIDs and other crap. You can put in aftermarket HIDs for $300 - that's what I did. My .02

I'd like to have the 5th gear ratio of the 6 speed, but you can't have both worlds.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

I hear you can use the 5th gear of the MR in the 5 speed?

When I go dedicated track toy I think that will be a worthwhile option.

Quick Reply: Is there a definitive opinion on the 6 speed?