Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

The ***Official*** 2008 One Lap of America thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2008, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by racerjon1
Class is scored the same, but since there might only be 12 cars in your class, the points gaps are smaller. It's why you can have something strange happen like finishing 3rd overall, but losing class to someone who finishes behind you overall. (Like I did with AMS in 2006, 3rd overall, highest placing mid-priced sedan, but 5th overall won the class...)
I still have a hard time wrapping my brain around that.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Yea.. it is weird.. and I don't think I explained it well.

Essentially the feeling is sorta this - "If there are classes, then the classes shouldn't compete against the entire rest of the field, so they jsut compete against each other."

So.. I finish 8th overall, and my in-class competition finishes 30th overall.. well, he still finishes "2nd" in class. So you can have a bad day and not fall so far back.

It makes sense, especially when you consider that 99% of the people involved will say, "blah, f**k the classes, it's overall that counts."

In 2006 AMS and I finished 7th overall, and the next car in class finished 8th overall, but won class. At the awards the driver/owner of that car said, "I will trade you I would rather have a 7th and 2nd in class than an 8th and 1st in class" So really, it's kinda like class is a treat if you can get it, but the real game is to see if you can make the top 10, and to see how far up you can place.

I promise if you are int he top 10 in ths crowd, you are probably the fastest car at your track day or time trial group - there are very few cars in the country faster than these that can be driven on the street, with true street tires.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

It feels like yesterday that we finished running last year, Jon. It's been a quick/busy year. Looking forward to seeing you and Danny run the GTPs, and you both should be definitely be up there in overall.

To all those who don't know me, my name is Devin Clancy, and I will be co-driving the aforementioned Trackpedia.com/BRE/APR/Mopar Supercenter/Getting2Tri SRT4 (sponsors = speed). I own an Evo 8 myself and I am mainly an autocrosser and most recently, over the past three years, a NASA Time Trialer/HPDE-r. This will be my second year competing in this event, and if you are interested in reading our daily blog from last year, you can follow the following link (it's a pretty entertaining read on a fantastic website): http://www.trackpedia.com/forums/sho...?t=2473&page=2

We plan on stepping up our blogging and overall coverage for this year's event, so look for a link a little closer to race time, but in the mean time, here are a few pictures:

My Car

One Lap 08 Car (Pictures are of car in 07 event)

With a little over two weeks to go, it would not feel like One Lap if we weren't scrambling to get our 2007 5th place overall, 1st in class SRT4 into its 2008 form. Due to the owner having another baby after the 2007 One Lap and myself being a full-time student, we had little time to make changes to the car for this year, but since it has been so reliable in the past, we decided not to change THAT much. A new spring package, aero tweaks, weight removal, and a new head/valvetrain round out the major changes for this year's event.

In addition to those changes, this year, we are also racing for a charity: www.getting2tri.com , which supports physically challenges triathletes. We are still finalizing some details, but look for a donation thread to pop up in the next few days if you are so inclined to help us support this very worthy charity.

One thing is for sure, this is going to be a very exciting One Lap with a great line up of cars and drivers. Looking forward to driving some amazing tracks, seeing a large portion of the country, laughing with old friends, making new ones, and dishing out some Neon beatdowns

Devin

Last edited by Solo Evo; Apr 15, 2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

So, uh.. are you bringing stickers again this year?

at least my car has some orange on it this year... for now... (things might change)
Old Apr 16, 2008, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Stickers... why, whatever do you mean? If I knew someone who were bringing stickers to place on everything, though, I think that person might change the logo for this year.

Hot pink GTP? I'd bring special stickers for that. Think of the publicity!

Devin
Old Apr 16, 2008, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No stop at Autobahn this year? Looks like a small road trip for me.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

I should make the trek up to Beaver to get a peek at the fun.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Oddly enough I saw the Davia/Wikstrom One Lap Porsche on my way to work today.

I've got nothing else to offer though.

John
Old Apr 16, 2008, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Solo Evo
Stickers... why, whatever do you mean? If I knew someone who were bringing stickers to place on everything, though, I think that person might change the logo for this year.

Hot pink GTP? I'd bring special stickers for that. Think of the publicity!

Devin

Does that mean little gamecocks are going on everything?

Also, I doubt the GTP will be hot pink.. but who knows.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lexat20
No stop at Autobahn this year? Looks like a small road trip for me.
Nope, no Autobahn.. though we are doing Mid America for the third year in a row.

Road America will be a fun trip to make though, we should be flying there. (It's also in the afternoon on Saturday, like starting at 3:00 or something.. I hope the back of the pack isn't running in the dark.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Well good luck to Jon, Devin, Leh and Danny. I probably won't make it to any of the tracks this year but I will be following results daily.

And Jon, Danny put your car in the mud this past weekend at MO..... Both cars looked pretty good though, and sure had a lot of attention in the paddock.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 992gnt
Well good luck to Jon, Devin, Leh and Danny. I probably won't make it to any of the tracks this year but I will be following results daily.

And Jon, Danny put your car in the mud this past weekend at MO..... Both cars looked pretty good though, and sure had a lot of attention in the paddock.

Yes.. not only in the mud, but in the mud in the keyhole on his first lap. The report back to me is that he said the transmission shifted on him when he didn't want it to. (But I haven't spoken to him, so I don't know for sure.)

He also spun the yellow car on his first lap in it. So he was making sure he had the consistancy thing down.

The problem of course is that the times on MyLaps look messed up, and we have no idea what he ran.. though he said "Maybe 35s" so who knows.

The cars get an insane amount of attention - you remember that first day, my voice was actually sore from talking so much that weekend.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Poor guy. Every good driver I know just hates attention.

I'll chip in a few bucks for some dark glasses if you think it would help.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Soooo..... we went for a final day of testing at CMP today (Sunday April 20th), and things went real well (read: ).

Since it's late and I'm exhausted, I'm going to tell the story of this weekend in an abbreviated form through pictures. When I start blogging, I'll cover this in more detail but here is brief synopsis.

Wing mounted @ 2:30 am, leave for CMP at 5:30am. The usual.

The SRT4 in its natural habitat. We actually just started a tab... seriously.

We ran out of gas entering the track and coasted into our grid spot. Doug, the car owner, was happy.

Wing strut sheared. Fixed with JB weld and duct tape. Again, the usual. Those of you who followed us last year might remember our having to JB weld our oil pan. I'm surgical with the stuff now.

Then after two good sessions of sorting out the new suspension related additions (springs, wing, weight removal), Doug abruptly pulled the car in waving frantically. Car was spouting white smoke and had no boost. At first I thought a possible head gasket, since we were testing a brand new head setup that was finished two days prior, but further inspection revealed a turbo with bearing (both ball and thrust) damage. In other words, the turbo done blow'd up.

We returned home like this (luckily got no tickets):

Which brings up the following image in my mind, which is funny because I was talking with Doug about elephant walking trains, don't ask hah, the night before...:

Now we are scrambling to find another Mopar Stage 3 turbo, since they are always hard to get since they are in high demand. We should be able to get them, but this is an expense that Doug was not planning on, so it may throw a wrench in our plans. In the end, we might take my car or wind up fixing Doug's and taking it, if we can finish in time. Doug is out of town all week, and I have finals next week and some senior projects due this week, so it should be interesting managing this effort.

Time to go sleep some of today's headaches off.

Devin

Last edited by Solo Evo; Apr 21, 2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 10:58 AM
Former Sponsor

yes......

99% i will be there...

really excited.. it came up on me fast.. only 2 weeks... i hope to get a testday before the event.. cuz ive never drivin the car....

i can tell you a couple things... its rwd and under powerd.... so.... 2 big negatives for onelap there...

it should be perfectly reliable.....

i assume a press release will be done.. and i will post when i get it....

its a Porsche also... : )

with some carbon body work.. a lil lexan.... motons..... and some other fun stuff....

but wont have the top end of the viper and the 996 turbo.....

Quick Reply: The ***Official*** 2008 One Lap of America thread