Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

The ***Official*** 2008 One Lap of America thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2008, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a GT3 or Cup Car of some sort to me.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Updates**

The TopSpeed Subaru seems to have pulled out. Luke drove it to a win at the Redline Time Attack at Gateway, but the quote from NASIOC is "It's just to gnarley" So it seems they have bailed on the plans for the event.

Brian Smith was going to run an MTI Customer Viper, but the customer crashed it a week or so ago, Smith will not be there.

The Battleground Engineering STI will not make it for sure.

I have heard yet again that Adee in the 800+ whp Viper will not be going, so that looks pretty solid at this point.

Devin, I hope you and Doug get stuff sorted, but if not, at least we might see an Evo in the event.

I will be doing a prediction list in the next day or so, though, this is making it easier in some cases, and harder in others..
Old Apr 22, 2008, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

good luck guys. jon i'll be keepin an eye on your blog.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 09:47 AM
Former Sponsor

dang... poor dougy fresh
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

I'll be at CMP on the 3rd-4th, I'll make sure to heat it up nice for you.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Dang... why do so many folks build time attack cars for an endurance test?

Seems to me that this is more of a marathon than a sprint.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i might be attending it at NPR w/ the performance motorsports guys. Leh i never knew you were on this site. i have heard your name come up several times from Marshall Morgan, owner of Performance Motorsports. Maybe I will have the chance to meet you and Greg
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsycks
Dang... why do so many folks build time attack cars for an endurance test?

Seems to me that this is more of a marathon than a sprint.

One Lap is both an endurance and sprint, though I think because of the road use, it's more endurance.

The deal with One Lap is to prove that you can drive fast cars around the country, and use them responsibly, all while thrashing them on roadrace courses. It's the difference in an F1 race and the ALMS.. both sets of cars are VERY good at what they do, and neither of them could do the other's event.

That being said.. endurance or not, the Mongoose GTP is probably a smidge faster than the AMS Time Attack Evo at this point - and I think it will be more comfortable on the street. (and it's still an automatic.. and only putting down 405whp...) I am not taking anything away from AMS though, the AMS car is still started from a street car, and Mongoose had no such handicap.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Looks like we found the problem:

All looks well.

... maybe not.

For all of you now going WTF, the shaft and turbine wheel on a turbo are joined through a friction weld formed by spinning the two pieces up to a set speed and then pushing them together. Sometimes this connection will fail due to material defects or manufacturing defects, but this failure is one of the rarest in the turbo world (I used to work at Borg Warner Turbo Systems, and I never, in 2 years, saw a single friction weld failure from a part off of the manufacturing floor). Needless to say, this is an extremely raw deal. We are awaiting replies from several SRT engineers in the hope for some sympathy, but in the meantime, we will be purchasing a new turbo with the intent of making the event.

Here are some more carnage pictures:

Note the crack, seems like a casting imperfection:

Devin
Old Apr 22, 2008, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Dang.. My Fiancee's brother is doing engineering right now, including friction welding and has given me some details on the process - I would have to agree with your assesment, it would have to be a pre-existing defect in the part.

Hopefully it will get to you soon and you guys can be back on the road, better now than in May right? (And maybe you guys should carry a spare turbo kit...)
Old Apr 22, 2008, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For us it was an easy choice, we have just decided that it would suit our company better to spend the money racing in TA's than to do One lap again.

OneLap is a great and fun race, but just doesn't get the media coverage TA's do.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 08:54 PM
Former Sponsor

poosy
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Dude, I am SO doing One Lap at some point.

I just gotta. Then again I need to become a decent enough driver to not make a fool of ones self first.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsycks
Dude, I am SO doing One Lap at some point.

I just gotta. Then again I need to become a decent enough driver to not make a fool of ones self first.
Blah, just do it. The cool thing about One Lap is that there are plenty of skill levels, from the person that has only done two track days up to the pro drivers hot of the last Grand Am race. By going no matter the skill you will be able to experience it, and get to watch the big boys play all week.

Yes it's hard to worry about where you might finish (god knows I do) but for your first time especially, go out have fun, experience the event.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Easy to say when your fast.

Tool!

Quick Reply: The ***Official*** 2008 One Lap of America thread