Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Long beach super lap battle

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2008, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long beach super lap battle

I just got off the phone with mikey....

Congrats Mikey, nami, billy, chewie & crew for taking unlimited at long beach.. I know how much hard work went into this... you guys rock!

Factor X Engineering - FTW!!

n
Old Apr 19, 2008, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone have pix? Keep them limited so my computer doesnt go crazy!
Old Apr 19, 2008, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

I was just there watching today and took some pics, but I won't be back home until late Sunday night to get them off the camera.

I thought it was only an exhibition, not an actual competition but I guess I was wrong. Congrats Mikey!
Old Apr 20, 2008, 04:13 PM

are there any results available for this yet?
Old Apr 20, 2008, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the props guys.. It was rough up until the end where we caught fire from an exploding trans. But Billy was able still to pull off the fastest time. The crew busted there butts the whole time. It seemed like everyone was having terrible luck. We have never seen more fires, electrical issues, and brake problems...Us included on all three than at this event. The AMS crew worked non stop to fix their glitches only to have it pop up again on the las test day. AMS came up with a great plan B on race day. Our hats off to them for their ingenuity. We even wittnessed HASPORT replace an engine in the pits. ( We know the feeling).

Thanks again guys...especially Nils.
Mikey
Old Apr 21, 2008, 02:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbopineapple
Thanks for the props guys.. It was rough up until the end where we caught fire from an exploding trans.
That was Saturday, right? My friend and I were @ turn 8 watching and I saw the rear was on fire.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Just got back from Long Beach. I was driving the AMS TA car this past weekend, and what a crazy weekend it was. First practice we go out, and starting my 3rd lap, the car just goes dead. Nothing working at all. As we would find out after the tow back to the paddock, it seems something went wrong with the alternator causing it to go full charge mode. We ended up having to replace all the fuses, relays, the battery, engine controller, alternator, fuse box, and the dash unit. Tim spent the better part of the evening and next day thrashing to get the car ready for the Friday session. We thought we had everything fixed, idled the car for quite a while, and everything seemed fine. So we were all gridded up to go out for the friday session, but when we fired the motor to pull out onto the track, I saw the voltage pop up over 19 volts at idle. We couldn't risk smoking all the electronics again, so we parked it. Martin, Tim, and I decided that our only course of action would be to eliminate the charging system, and run it on battery power. So we began a frantic search for a 16v battery to serve as a feed to the 12v battery to mimic a charging system and try to get 4 or 5 laps in to post a time.

So Saturday comes, and we manage to get it all set up to run on batteries. Unfortunatly this added about 70 lbs to the car, but at least we would be able to run a few laps. Up to this point, I have logged 2 laps of practice, and we are hoping that we found everything that was fried on thursday, as we had no opportunity to test the car. Because we didn't log a time on friday, we were set to take to the track 14th, and dead last. I figured it would be best to take a lap, make sure everything is working, and give myself some space to get a few clean laps.

Unfortunately, as soon as I pulled out onto the track and got into it, I saw the boost was only getting up to 16lbs, then found when I hit the brakes, that we also had no ABS. Evidently the electical surge had fried the boost control solonoid, even though Martin had checked it by manually cycling it, evidently something in it got messed up. We knew we might have an ABS problem, but the boost issue definitely surprised us.

I decided that I would just give it my best shot, all be it at only about 425whp, and low 300's wheel torque. Then the on track mayhem started. One car managed to lose a splitter, and lots of other small parts at turn 6, causing everyone to have to run a wider line than normal. Then coming down into turn 9 an evo grenaded a motor big time, covering the racing line with oil and lots of engine parts. So after lap 2, everyone was running off line for 2 turns on the course.

In the end Billy Johnson in the Factor X car ran a 1:30.1 on his 2nd lap out, then had a huge fire on his 3rd of 4th lap. Tyler Mcquarrie ran a 1:31.3, and I ended up running a 1:31.1 on my 5th lap. We were really bummed about not getting a chance to run the car at full song, but at least managed the second fastest time for the day. Tyler ended up with 2nd overall, beating us by a few hundreths of a second based on his friday lap time. I really think at full power, we would have been deep into the 1:27 range, if not high 1:26's, even with my lack of track time.

Congrats to Billy, and the Factor x team for pulling off the win. It really was an amazing event overall, and being able to make some laps around the most famous street circuit in the country was certainly cool. I just wish it had been more than 7 laps. lol.

I would like to thank Martin for once again trusting me with the beast on a most risky of tracks, and to Tim for the many hours that he put in trying to get us on track on friday against all odds.

Mark Daddio

Last edited by markdaddio; Apr 21, 2008 at 07:19 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Congrats to you all! Sounds like the likely suspects finished near the top as expected. Overcoming the many headaches you encountered shows your true tenacity. Everyone is expected to be fast on their good days, 3rd overall and 1st in class on a bad day is awesome!

Anyone know the results for the rest of the field?

Old Apr 21, 2008, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

^^^^ Here you are

Old Apr 21, 2008, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ you are good! If only my wife/kids/pets were that obedient.....

Thanks
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:55 AM

It was pretty cool to finally see these cars. I'll post up some pictures later.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbopineapple
Thanks for the props guys.. It was rough up until the end where we caught fire from an exploding trans. But Billy was able still to pull off the fastest time. The crew busted there butts the whole time. It seemed like everyone was having terrible luck. We have never seen more fires, electrical issues, and brake problems...Us included on all three than at this event. The AMS crew worked non stop to fix their glitches only to have it pop up again on the las test day. AMS came up with a great plan B on race day. Our hats off to them for their ingenuity. We even wittnessed HASPORT replace an engine in the pits. ( We know the feeling).

Thanks again guys...especially Nils.
Mikey
wish i could have been out there. never a dull moment with you guys.
congrats ken, mike and billy!
Old Apr 22, 2008, 09:16 PM
Account Disabled

so whos trans blew up and whos motor went by by?
Old Apr 23, 2008, 01:06 AM

Our trans let go, Hasports timing chain broke, an evo holed the block, another evo left dinasour fluid on the track, Rado had brake problems.... other than that everyones car ran perfectly
mikey
Old Apr 23, 2008, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

www.riceboytv.com has a pretty cool short video of the whole weekend.

Quick Reply: Long beach super lap battle