Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2nd Auto-x of the year...good pics

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2008, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Auto-x of the year...good pics

Had another auto-x Sunday. I didn't fare too well. The suspension needs some major tuning or swapping out. Springs are too soft. But besides that I had fun.
Got 5 runs all day, and I only completed one good run. The first two runs I did something I have never done with the car.....I spun out...not a partial spin, but a full 360. My first one was almost a 720, the second was a 180. I have a blurry vid on Youtube being uploaded of the 180.
I finished 3rd in class, which is really low for me. I did learn a lot about the car. I meet John Winchester, a regular at Nationals. This guy is good! There was also a guy, I forgot his name in A-stock with an 08 Sti, that was nasty and a guy in H-stock that ran faster than me! Supposedly he won nationals last year in this car, Mike Murray??. Another guy I meet was a AMS Evo time attack driver, John xxxxxxx. He knows Paul Gerrard and Mark Daddio. I tried to be like a sponge and absorb info, but man, sponges get too full sometimes, and I'm more like a brick.
On another note, I found out how loud I really am.
I was flagged for being too loud again, but this time they got a gun on me. Most times they measure your sound from 75ft. Well, they measured me from about all the way across the lot, easily over a football field. I was 100dbA. Yes, thats loud.
There was a professional photographer there who took some great pics. He sent me a link, and wouldn't you know it, I was the first 3 lines of pictures. He got some great shots.
I saved the best till last

Gotta changed out to play with the big boys
Enkei Nt02m 285 Kumho V710 (not sticky enough)

Hell hath no fury like an uncorked Evo

Look Ahead

Speed

More Speed

The closer you get, the faster you are

Fast in

Can you say tire lift??

Yes, those are 285 r comps I just lit up,,,,after a spin

Yes....drifting the Evo, tell me this isn't cool
Old Apr 21, 2008, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nice pics dude. i cant wait to get my *** out there....

i like the pics of the wheel life. good ****. looks like your exhaust is missing a hanger tho???
Old Apr 21, 2008, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

my exhaust has always hung low for some reason. I ran straight pipe for a while, now I run an Buschur. I'm not sure what it is, but if it goes up any further it hits the side of 'hole' its supposed to be in under the car.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
your exhaust is definitely off. It's not supposed to hang like that.

Great pix, you even make the stock tails look ok. Nice
Old Apr 21, 2008, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

you got to give props to the photo guy...

and yea your exhuast is gettin low...
Old Apr 21, 2008, 09:16 PM
OPM

Yea, mad props to the photo guy!
Old Apr 22, 2008, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

V710's arent sticky enough?
Old Apr 23, 2008, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

they seem to slide around a lot more than the new A6's
Old Apr 23, 2008, 07:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Where was this autocross? You should come out to FedEx Field sometime for a WDCR SCCA event.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Those 285s on 9.5's or 10.5's? Spacer in the front i assume.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Where was this autocross? You should come out to FedEx Field sometime for a WDCR SCCA event.
I know his location says NOVA but I'm pretty sure Liam has been in CT for a year or so. This event was in Stratford, CT in a lot which autox clubs very rarely get. Gotta say it was awesome driving to the event on r-compounds, the morning was so much more relaxing. It was also nice to finally meet some of the local SP/SM evo guys. The only ones I knew prior were the PSG guys and Daddio.

As for the V710's not being sticky enough if they are an old set from last year the ambient temps weren't enough to get them warm, and old V710's NEED heat. I didn't see over 115 ish in the front on sticker hoosiers.

Matt Murray is a killer in that 318 HS car. He ruined everyone in pax. Chris Carris is the one working on his 08 Sti, he's got some good plans for that car this year.

John
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by kekek
I know his location says NOVA but I'm pretty sure Liam has been in CT for a year or so. This event was in Stratford, CT in a lot which autox clubs very rarely get. Gotta say it was awesome driving to the event on r-compounds, the morning was so much more relaxing. It was also nice to finally meet some of the local SP/SM evo guys. The only ones I knew prior were the PSG guys and Daddio.

As for the V710's not being sticky enough if they are an old set from last year the ambient temps weren't enough to get them warm, and old V710's NEED heat. I didn't see over 115 ish in the front on sticker hoosiers.

Matt Murray is a killer in that 318 HS car. He ruined everyone in pax. Chris Carris is the one working on his 08 Sti, he's got some good plans for that car this year.

John
Oh...I saw Liam's car a few weeks ago at a local meet (GMU), so I thought he was still here. I'll be on year-old V710s this year. I was hoping that they would be the way they were at the end of last season (since I stored them inside in bags). I used to do events with Matt Murray when I was in the NER region. He had a 968 back then and was fast in A-stock (national champion in that car actually).
Old Apr 23, 2008, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Balrok--I run 9.5 wheels, 25mm spacer, 40 offset

Rich-- I was down at GMU a few weeks ago, I try keepign in touch with guys down there. I do plan on making it down there (if I can get my suspension set up properly) when nationals rolls through

John--Good meeting you there, thanks for all the advice. The tires are less than a year old, but sat around partially wrapped all winter. I just don't feel like dropping $1200 for new tires right now. They are good enough for local stuff if I can learn how to drive.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

love the drifting pic
Old Apr 23, 2008, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Oh...I saw Liam's car a few weeks ago at a local meet (GMU), so I thought he was still here. I'll be on year-old V710s this year. I was hoping that they would be the way they were at the end of last season (since I stored them inside in bags). I used to do events with Matt Murray when I was in the NER region. He had a 968 back then and was fast in A-stock (national champion in that car actually).
I've found that once they sit through a winter after being used all year the stick just isn't there. The one caveat is that late season events are typically warm and early season events are cold when nothing has grip, so it's not a true apples to apples kind of thing. They do however require more heat in them to get grip, no way around that. I also store them in bags in my basement.

John

Quick Reply: 2nd Auto-x of the year...good pics