Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVO Power in Speed World Challenge GT Class @ Miller RIGHT NOW!

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2008, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bueller
I was looking at the Event schedule, because i would love to come watch one your events. One of the Norcal guys was at your Miller event, and posted a few of the pics he took in the Norcalevo thread. Unfortunately, since i compete in NASA's TT series, it appears most of my events are on the same weekends that you guys have a race. If that wasnt bad enough, pretty much all the events are pretty far. Although, im going to keep my eye out to see if i can make any of the races. Good luck.
Thanks. Hopefully you can make it out sometime this season. If not, we'll be at the Long Beach race next year.

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Just so we are clear. I exchanged an e-mail with Vesko today. There were NO engine problems. He said the engine performed flawlessly. The problem was electrical. I just don't want any rumors getting started

He also wants to keep all the details of the actual engine build quiet so please don't ask me as I am not allowed to talk about any of that.

Thanks and I am very proud to be apart of this.
You are right. The motor was perfect. In fact, he has your motor in another car and with 50k HARD miles, it is still running well.
Old May 21, 2008, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That car looks awesome. Good luck this season!
Old May 21, 2008, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
eficker, is that the engine he's been talking about having me freshen up just to be safe for two years? haha With the abuse and miles it's had I am impressed it's still in the car.
Old May 21, 2008, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

My DVR is set cant wait to see an Evo competing again on SPEED.
Old May 21, 2008, 08:28 PM

Yes, those Mustangs are sick. They've done a lot of development to get the team and cars into shape for this season after a few not so great debuts in the past. My buddy, who I worked with last season, works for ACS now.
Old May 22, 2008, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

eficker, is that the engine he's been talking about having me freshen up just to be safe for two years? haha With the abuse and miles it's had I am impressed it's still in the car.
David,

Yeah, thats the one. It has seen A LOT of abuse and a ton of miles, street and track, drag racing and road racing. We are all VERY impressed with that motor.

Erich

Originally Posted by low_psi
Yes, those Mustangs are sick. They've done a lot of development to get the team and cars into shape for this season after a few not so great debuts in the past. My buddy, who I worked with last season, works for ACS now.
Yeah, i usually don't like those cars, but those are sick, and are obviously built, driven, and setup well since they are running strong.
Old May 22, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Dave:

I'm Vesko's business partner on the shop side and the owner of Competition Associates. To be clear, there are two entities, Competition Associates where we build and support race cars for a number of local customers and CA Sport which is the race team comprised of Mr. Ficker organizing the crew and Vesko, Lara Tallman and Byron Smith driving. Byron is running in WC touring with a BMW that we also built. As mentioned, we hope to complete a 2nd Evo for World Challenge in the near future at which point Vesko and Lara will drive side by side.

The motor you are referencing is for my personal car which is the black Evo that we ran in time attack at Buttonwillow a few years ago. I think we took 2nd overall in that event. If we get the time we may use that car for the time attacks but road racing is the first priority at least this year. And it has been heavily abused... or as we like to say "tested".

We have developed several very trick, custom components for the WC car. The hope is that at some point we will offer these parts back to the Evo community. Before we do that we want to test and evolve our initial designs. Makes no sense to sell something until we know it really works.

Anyway, we'll get that other engine to you and hope to get a few others built as well.

Best,

Jeff
Old May 22, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by termsheet
We have developed several very trick, custom components for the WC car. The hope is that at some point we will offer these parts back to the Evo community. Before we do that we want to test and evolve our initial designs. Makes no sense to sell something until we know it really works.
Awesome

I am looking forward to your offerings.
Old May 23, 2008, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

How competitive is it to the rest of the field lap time wise? Looks like you were mid pack on the starting grid...is that a reflection of your qualifying. If so, very impressive. Its so difficult to start a new team and to do so without the ridiculous budgets that some of the competition has. Great job on getting it together.
Old May 23, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Pic of the evo in action.

Rest of the pics here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/usually...7605215976665/

Enjoy,
-heeltoer

Last edited by heeltoer; May 23, 2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old May 23, 2008, 11:03 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by CharlesJ
How competitive is it to the rest of the field lap time wise? Looks like you were mid pack on the starting grid...is that a reflection of your qualifying. If so, very impressive. Its so difficult to start a new team and to do so without the ridiculous budgets that some of the competition has. Great job on getting it together.
He looked to be mid pack from the practice and qualy times but that is a huge feat. For the power restriction they put on FI cars in WCGT and the fact they must run on Toyo R888's, I would say that this Evo is easly the fastest lb for lb in the country. I would think that with more testing and a few more races, the car will move forward quickly.

Congrats to you guys for breaking new ground.
Old May 23, 2008, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't think the SCCA or the team even knows what power the car is making right now since they finished the build at the last min, and haven't really tuned the car. They probably won't be looking too hard until the car starts to put down lap times at the front of the pack.

If they wanted they could makes tons of power - as we all know, but that wouldn't last long in the series and they'd end up like Audi. So it's a balance of not coming out of the gate too hot and drawing a bunch of attention.

It will be fun to watch how things go throughout the season.
Old May 23, 2008, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

The quick answer is that we think the car can run competitive lap times with the other top cars in the class. We would not have built it if we did not think we could run up front. We have logged many laps at several tracks in other Evos we previously built and so we do have a good frame of reference in terms of our potential lap times vs typical lap times of other GT cars. That said, it will likely take us several events to get our program sorted out. We are testing many new parts, new settings, etc. and of course reliability, since we didn't even finish the first race. We will do our best to properly represent to the Evo community out there and like I mentioned earlier, we do hope to take everything we learn in terms of parts development and make it available to the community later this year. We look forward to discussing all of the technical aspects of the cars with the group and explain why we engineered them the way we did, but for now we think it is better to keep quiet until we demonstrate some results.

Again, thanks to Dave and many others in the community that have already helped out in a big way so far. We'll keep trying to make everyone proud.
Old May 23, 2008, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jid2@[BINARY]
I don't think the SCCA or the team even knows what power the car is making right now since they finished the build at the last min, and haven't really tuned the car. They probably won't be looking too hard until the car starts to put down lap times at the front of the pack.

If they wanted they could makes tons of power - as we all know, but that wouldn't last long in the series and they'd end up like Audi. So it's a balance of not coming out of the gate too hot and drawing a bunch of attention.

It will be fun to watch how things go throughout the season.
We do know about what the car makes in terms of power because we have put the same engine on the dyno in another Evo. And everyone on this board knows what these motors are capable of. The issue you point out is reliability. We are not running a 10 second drag race or a 10 minute time attack session. We have to engineer for 50 minute races and then there is the consideration that you don't want to rebuild the whole car after every race from both a time and money perspective. But the power in the GT class is impressive. Most of the cars in class are in the 450-600 hp range.
Old May 23, 2008, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

I think as we go a long we will move up the grid. We have work to do, but we'll get there. We are very happy that we were able to show the speed that we did, and even though we didn't finish, we are happy that we were out there. I can guarantee you that we are running on about 10% of the average GT budget, and probably about 2% of the bigger name teams budgets.

Thanks to all for the kind words and support!

Originally Posted by termsheet
We do know about what the car makes in terms of power because we have put the same engine on the dyno in another Evo. And everyone on this board knows what these motors are capable of. The issue you point out is reliability. We are not running a 10 second drag race or a 10 minute time attack session. We have to engineer for 50 minute races and then there is the consideration that you don't want to rebuild the whole car after every race from both a time and money perspective. But the power in the GT class is impressive. Most of the cars in class are in the 450-600 hp range.
Welcome, Jeff!

Like Jeff said, we'll get there, but we have some work to do.

Last edited by eficker; May 23, 2008 at 08:55 PM.

Quick Reply: EVO Power in Speed World Challenge GT Class @ Miller RIGHT NOW!