Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

AMS Sponsored Evo X sets Track Record @ Road America!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2008, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS Sponsored Evo X sets Track Record @ Road America!

Good news first: Ryan Gates sets new NASA TT-A lap record at Road America in an AMS powered Evo X! Visit www.gates311.com for info on the car.

New Record - 2:29.7
Previous Record - 2:30.9
Tires: Nitto NT-01's
350whp/360wtq

Thanks to AMS Performance for the great power, needed it to keep up with the Vette! More thanks to Robispec for keeping the car flat and stable thru all the high speed corners, thanks to Girodisc for the rock solid brakes to slow the car down from multiple 145+ speeds per lap, Exedy USA for a clutch that held perfect thru the day, and Darkside Engineering for the badass wheels!

Make sure to click on High Quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_YuTFNbI8I

Here's the story behind the weekend:

The weekend was fun, but was very problem filled. After the first TT session (Warm up) on Saturday, I was feeling good, had a great few warm up laps, got some heat in the new NT-01's, the car was running great and I ran a 2:33.xx, my fastest lap at R/A ever! I head out for the 2nd session and the car has no power, so I pulled off after 2 laps to diagnose the problem. Turns out that 2 gals of 110 leaded mixed with 9 gals of 98 unleaded is enough to burn up a H/F cat....sooooo after checking the cat, there wasn't a enough time to gut it, so I just took it out there running only the downpipe :tdown:

Onto the 3rd session, I saw that the time to beat was a 2:30.5 by a Natl. level Z06! Wow, new track record! I was pretty overwhelmed after seeing that, so I headed out just looking to do the best I could. After the warm up lap I ran 1 clean lap then went for a cool down lap to just get off the track, I didn't feel safe with all the backfires under the car. On the cooldown lap, I hit a pretty rough rumble strip and the car died....just coasted to a stop after the Carousel and waited to get towed. Well the problem ended up being a blown fuse, the "Engine Power" fuse.

I figured it was just a freak issue....it wasn't. Long story short, the car keeps blowing that same fuse any time I hit a rough rumble strip or jump a curb. I tried on Sunday for a fast lap, but after Canada corner I hit a rumble strip and the car died, so much for a good time. I just packed up and headed to Chicago to have the car looked over by AMS before Road Atlanta next weekend.

Again, thanks to AMS Performance, Robispec, Girodisc, Exedy USA and Darkside Engineering.

Anyone know a tire sponsor?????
Ryan
www.Gates311.com

Last edited by BlackTrack; Aug 4, 2008 at 05:35 AM.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

so what lap did you beat the record in? you didnt state what session you broke the record
Old Aug 3, 2008, 07:21 PM
4DR
Evolved Member

I love seeing pics of this car. Make me wanna get an X. Congratulations.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WAIRONWORKER
so what lap did you beat the record in? you didnt state what session you broke the record
This was session 3 on Saturday, this was the 2nd lap of the session. This was my ONLY fast lap of the day, the car has an electrical issue...the "Engine Power" fuse kept blowing. It happened 3 times this weekend, no times for Sunday due to same issue.

Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 2008, 07:32 PM

Ryan, that is BADD ***! Your doin good things my friend!
Old Aug 3, 2008, 07:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Nice work!
Old Aug 3, 2008, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BlackTrack
This was session 3 on Saturday, this was the 2nd lap of the session. This was my ONLY fast lap of the day, the car has an electrical issue...the "Engine Power" fuse kept blowing. It happened 3 times this weekend, no times for Sunday due to same issue.

Thanks!
congrats and excellent job, keep up the great work showin what an Evo can do. sorry about the issues
Old Aug 3, 2008, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Ryan, Congrats man! Im glad to see things are working out for you. You know, it felt like it was just the other day when you were asking me questions about NASAs TT series, and how you werent that happy with your Evo 9. The next thing i know you got rid of your 9 and got yourself a X. I cant believe how quickly it all happened.

Another thing. I remember you said that you were thinking of competing at Nationals this year. However, i dont recall seeing your name on the list. Are you not going? So you know, im all signed up for Nationals, and now im working on getting everything else situated.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car looks awesome, and that's a great accomplishment.

However, are you saying that in one try with one full lap, you not only beat yourself previous best (earlier in the day) by 4 seconds but broke the record for any car by almost a full second...even in spite of this fuse causing problems? And the only thing you changed was to run with an open downpipe? What do you think attributed to a gain of 4 seconds in just one attempted lap?

Is open downpipe allowed? I can't remember the rules, since I never considered that. As far as points, does it just count as having a test pipe in place of the cat? I assume your points aren't close enough to the limit of TTA to matter.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon

However, are you saying that in one try with one full lap, you not only beat yourself previous best (earlier in the day) by 4 seconds but broke the record for any car by almost a full second...even in spite of this fuse causing problems? And the only thing you changed was to run with an open downpipe? What do you think attributed to a gain of 4 seconds in just one attempted lap?

Is open downpipe allowed? I can't remember the rules, since I never considered that. As far as points, does it just count as having a test pipe in place of the cat? I assume your points aren't close enough to the limit of TTA to matter.
An open downpipe is allowed, however, its equal the amount of points as a TBE. Meaning, an open downpipe is +3. TBE is +1 for the downpipe, +1 for any sort of aftermarket cat (high flow cat, or simply a test pipe to replace the cat), and a +1 for the cat-back.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 04:52 AM
Evolving Member

Awesome driving, and that's one beautiful EVO. Looks forward to seeing you at Road Atlanta next weekend. Your first time down this way???
Old Aug 4, 2008, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spraa
Ryan, that is BADD ***! Your doin good things my friend!
Thanks Taylor! See ya soon!

Originally Posted by Bueller
Ryan, Congrats man! Im glad to see things are working out for you. You know, it felt like it was just the other day when you were asking me questions about NASAs TT series, and how you werent that happy with your Evo 9. The next thing i know you got rid of your 9 and got yourself a X. I cant believe how quickly it all happened.

Another thing. I remember you said that you were thinking of competing at Nationals this year. However, i dont recall seeing your name on the list. Are you not going? So you know, im all signed up for Nationals, and now im working on getting everything else situated.
Thanks Ed! I will most likely be at Natls. just haven't set my schedule completely.

Originally Posted by Warrtalon

The 2:33 was in the warm up session while I was warming up the new (5 laps at ACC prior to this weekend) NT-01's. I was pushing that lap, but it was by no means 100%. I was expecting to run a 2:31, but I underestimated what the car had! And running the open exhaust had nothing to do with the 4 seconds, I usually run a 100cell race cat and a straight catback, no muffler. The HP difference is minimal. I have a few points to work with, so it didn't put me over. But thanks for the kind words Warr!

Thanks guys!
Old Aug 4, 2008, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Good job dude! Someday I'll make the pilgrimage to Road America! So far I've only driven it in the virtual world (Forza2 on the Xbox 360 Stock EVO8 stock tires best lap time of 2:29) As for the Engine Fuse blowing out check for an electrical short on the rear or front O2 sensors.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 04:03 PM
Account Disabled

that is freaking awesome, congrats dude...
Old Aug 4, 2008, 04:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Congrats Ryan, looking good!

Quick Reply: AMS Sponsored Evo X sets Track Record @ Road America!