Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVO Suspension Tuning Guide

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
EVO Suspension Tuning Guide

This thread is dedicated to discussing general suspension tuning methods, issues, and strategies for the EVO VIII and EVO IX chassis. This will be weighted toward Autocross, but many ideas will carry over to road course applications.

This discussion will be about GENERAL suspension tuning issues, not specific recommendations. For example - if you increase front sway bar stiffness, you can expect "X", NOT "what front sway bar should I run". For questions such as the latter, please post those questions here - https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-tires-wheels-brakes-suspension-23/

We will start with very basics and I will try to keep this first post updated with a list of relevent tweeks and their expected results. More detailed information will be added to this post as it is discussed. If you find any errors or anything you feel is flat out wrong, please let me know. I am trying to learn as are most of us here. . .

SPRINGS - used to support the main weight of the car, as well as dive, roll, squat.
*Front - stiffer - reduces front dive on braking, reduces front roll on cornering
*Front - softer - increases front dive on braking, increases front roll on cornering
*Rear - stiffer - reduces rear squat on acceleration, reduces rear roll in turns
*Rear - softer - increases rear squat on acceleration, increases rear roll in turns

SWAY BARS - used to limit body roll without affecting straight line suspension stiffness.
*Front - stiffer - reduces front roll on cornering. Also help stop the "tripod" effect of picking up the inside rear wheel by limiting outside front dive.
*Front - softer - increases front roll on cornering
*Rear - stiffer - reduces rear roll in turns, generally makes the rear "looser" in corners.
*Rear - softer - increases rear roll in turns

SHOCKS - used to slow weight transfer from side to side and front to rear, as well as keep the tire in contact with the ground in case of bumps.
*REBOUND - generally used to keep the tire in contact with the ground. Keeps the car from bouncing or oscillating after hitting a bump. Think of a car with 200,000 miles on it - you push down on the front bumper and the car bounces up and down a couple times before coming to a rest. This would be something like ZERO rebound dampning. As you increase spring rates you need more rebound damning to exert the same amount of control over the spring. This is why you can't throw a 1000# spring on the stock shocks and expect it to work well.

TIRE PRESSURES - you want as much cornering traction as possible without sacrificing straight line traction for accel and braking. More air will bow the center of the tread out and give higher temps in the center of the tread. Less pressure will bow the center tread in and lead to higher temps on the outside edges. There is a sweet spot between too high and too low that will yield optimal traction.

CAMBER/CASTER/TOE
*Toe Out - generally equals less stable. More rear toe will make the rear "looser" and will make it come around easier in corners, under braking and under accel.
*Toe In - generally equals more stable. Less rear toe will make the rear "tighter" and will make it not want to rotate as easily, but will be much more stable under braking and accel.
*More Camber - generally offers better cornering traction, better turn-in response, but can diminish braking and accel due to smaller contact patch when pointed straight
*Less Camber - generally offers better accel and braking due to larger, flatter contact patch.

more to come . . . stay tuned!

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Aug 6, 2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
From Tirerack because I didn't want to type it all in myself. These are basic concepts for any car.

Adjustments - Decrease Understeer - Decrease Oversteer

Front Tire Pressure: Higher - Lower
Rear Tire Pressure: Lower - Higher
Front Tire Section: Larger - Smaller
Rear Tire Section: Smaller - Larger
Front Wheel Camber: More Negative - More Positive
Rear Wheel Camber: More Positive - More Negative
Front Wheel Toe: Toward Toe-Out - Toward Toe-In
Rear Wheel Toe: Toward Toe-In Toward Toe-Out
Front Wheel Caster: More Positive - More Negative
Front Springs: Soften - Stiffen
Rear Springs: Stiffen - Soften
Front Anti-sway Bar: Soften (Thinner) - Stiffen (Thicken)
Rear Anti-sway Bar: Stiffen (Thicker) - Soften (Thinner)
Weight Distribution: More Rearward - More Forward

Last edited by jid2; Aug 5, 2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sticky this! Great information for those wanting to understand the physics of what happens when you change certain things. Here is more information:

Suspension Basics

Corner entry understeer
*Increase front compression.
*Increase front toe-out.

Corner entry oversteer
*Increase rear rebound.
*Reduce rear ride-height.

Steady state understeer (All turns or low-speed turns only)
*If front tire temps are optimum and rears are low, stiffen rear anti-roll bar; if front temps are too hot, soften front (most likely).
*If front tire pressures are optimum, decrease rear tire pressure. Increase if chunking occurs.
*Improper front camber.
*Too much body roll at front, causing excessive camber change.

Steady state under steer (High-speed turns only)
*If front tire temps are OK, increase front down force
*If front tire temps are too hot, reduce rear down force

Steady state over steer (All turns or low-speed turns only)
*If rear tire temps are optimum with fronts too low, stiffen front anti-roll bar; if rear temps too hot, soften rear anti-roll bar (most likely).
*If rear tire pressures are optimum, decrease front tire pressure. Increase if chunking occurs.
*Improper rear camber.

Steady state oversteer (High-speed turns only)
*If rear tire temps are OK, increase rear down force.
*If rear tire temps are too hot, reduce front down force.

Corner exit understeer
*Increase rear compression dampening.
*Reduce front rebound dampening.

Corner exit oversteer
*Increase rear rebound dampening.
*Reduce rear toe-in, no rear toe-out.

Straightline instability
*Tire pressure is too low in one or more tires.
*Increase positive front caster.
*Reduce front toe-in, no toe-out in rear.

Straightline speed too slow
*Reduce overall down force.
*Too much toe-in or toe-out, reduce.
*Lower ride height.

Last edited by inco9nito99; Aug 5, 2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Race-Car-Vehic...7996813&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Tune-Win-Carro...7996948&sr=1-1

the end.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Agreed!

Adding to that:

http://performanceshock.com/index.ph...63ca89eb2f4835

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Aug 6, 2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Keep the book recommendations coming. I just placed an order

Not everyone will be able to buy a $100 book, and not many will want to set down and read that book. I hope this thread can be a resource for your average weekend racer who wants to start trying to get the most out of that set of shocks he just bought, or who is thinking about trying to make his car more competitive so he can win his first Regional autocross championship . . .
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Keep the book recommendations coming. I just placed an order

Not everyone will be able to buy a $100 book, and not many will want to set down and read that book. I hope this thread can be a resource for your average weekend racer who wants to start trying to get the most out of that set of shocks he just bought, or who is thinking about trying to make his car more competitive so he can win his first Regional autocross championship . . .
+1 - tune to win is on its way to my place

thanks for the heads up, marshall!
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Not everyone will be able to buy a $100 book, and not many will want to set down and read that book.
It's taken me years to understand even half of what is in RCVD. That is a HEAVY book but so good. I used to think getting my masters degree was tough....but it's got nothing on trying to understand this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Tires-Suspensi...ref=pd_sim_b_4
That's a good one if you really like doing mathematical derivations. It has a ton of equations.

i might have to pick up a copy of Rowley's book.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by griceiv
It's taken me years to understand even half of what is in RCVD. That is a HEAVY book but so good. I used to think getting my masters degree was tough....but it's got nothing on trying to understand this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Tires-Suspensi...ref=pd_sim_b_4
That's a good one if you really like doing mathematical derivations. It has a ton of equations.
I haven't read that one, but Dixon writes awesome books. The SAE shock absorber handbook was really helpful for me when chosing suspension parts.

d
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

I can't read that heavy text and mathematical derivations. I'm in product design/marketing and sales. "My brain don't work that way."
I just drive the car and make changes based on the simpleton text at the beginning of this thread.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Excellent thread. Thanks.
Most of you are probably familiar with all this, but here is assortment of links for other noobs like me that I can't seem to read enough times:

A super dumbed-down beginner explaination: http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

Reading THIS book now.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets.html

http://zzyzxmotorsports.com/tech/papers

Corner balancing thread from this board:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...=271668&page=2
Old Aug 7, 2008, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hokiruu
I've read and used DG's info. It's a good read. I am particularly interested in his thoughts on corner balancing vs. "the norm". I think a lot of people just shoot for 50/50 cross weights.

Anyone car to share what method you use and why you feel it's the best . . . ?
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

If you're cross weights aren't 50/50 you'll end up with a car that turns better one way then it does the other.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by griceiv
If you're cross weights aren't 50/50 you'll end up with a car that turns better one way then it does the other.
Correct, but if you have too much of a ride height different on one side to make the cross weights 50/50 it'll negatively affect your straight line braking ....

Evolutionary, with all the stuff that's been done to your car I assumed you already knew all/most of this ...
Old Aug 7, 2008, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
Correct, but if you have too much of a ride height different on one side to make the cross weights 50/50 it'll negatively affect your straight line braking ....
you shouldn't have to go more then a max of 1/4" away from level to get the car corner weighted properly. Braking wouldn't be the only thing affected by having the car all wonky, you get funky roll centers, different motion ratios, etc.

Step 1: level car
Step 2: adjust one of the 'highest wheel rate' spring perch to balance cross weight.

it should only take a couple turns on one spring to get the job done after the car is level.

Quick Reply: EVO Suspension Tuning Guide