Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Solo: Anyone try Hankook Z214s?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2008, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
super uber soft! I think the gst unlimited TA car was on these at RTA stop #4 where it destroyed the comp by like 3 seconds?.....I think thats an uber coincidence....
Old Aug 12, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hamflex
super uber soft! I think the gst unlimited TA car was on these at RTA stop #4 where it destroyed the comp by like 3 seconds?.....I think thats an uber coincidence....
Its really impossible to say for sure. We dont know what they did between their 1st and 2nd TA session. You dont think some strategy is used? Besides, the S2000 crew had a million sets of those C91s. I thought i was special when i ran a set, but when i saw their endless stacks of C91s i quickly realized that im a nobody!
Old Aug 12, 2008, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Damn they really changed things up since I last looked. In the size I was looking at, theyre 35+$ more than they used to be for C71's

Ive also never heard of the C91's before, sounds interesting, lol

Now I wish the V710's cam ein the right size...
Old Aug 12, 2008, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Well, if anyone is interested, im selling the Hankooks i have. They are all 275/35/18s.

2 new C91s
4 new C71s
4 used C51s

The new C91s and C71s have been scrubbed in and are ready to go. The 4 C51s have 10 NASA TT sessions on them. If i keep them i could get another weekend out of them. I havent posted a thread about these tires yet, but when i get some time i will.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Help me out here, the 214s come in multiple compounds?
Old Aug 13, 2008, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
From the looks of it yes, 3 different age compounds, but more like a half dozen in the past....too much info to list.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=z214
Old Aug 13, 2008, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bueller
Well, if anyone is interested, im selling the Hankooks i have. They are all 275/35/18s.

2 new C91s
4 new C71s
4 used C51s

The new C91s and C71s have been scrubbed in and are ready to go. The 4 C51s have 10 NASA TT sessions on them. If i keep them i could get another weekend out of them. I havent posted a thread about these tires yet, but when i get some time i will.
Why are you selling them? Don't you use them for TT?
Old Aug 13, 2008, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
Why are you selling them? Don't you use them for TT?
The kooks became really popular recently, and about 2-3 months ago the Z214s became very limited. They were on back order for a few sizes, including mine. Long story short, i am going a different route now. At this juncture i cant discuss the details. I was considering this route a while back but i didnt have enough experience at the time to be able to decide. The kooks going on back order i guess sort of jump started things. I sort of didnt have a choice, but i was going to go this route at some point. Now, its just going to happen sooner than i had planned.

So right now im basically sitting on a goldmine with these kooks. I know that if i were looking for kooks i would kill to get the ones i have. Now, i just need to find those people!!! I will be selling a few more things shortly! Im trying to sell this stuff to help fund my trip to Nationals. Im leaving for Nationals in 3 weeks, so it would be pretty helpful if i can sell all this stuff. Richard, if you know anyone that is interested please let me know.

Thanks
Old Aug 14, 2008, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to thread jack, but here are my FS threads on the local Evo boards. If someone wants them at Nationals, we can try to work out a deal and i can bring them to Nationals.

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...&topic=65032.0
http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index...c,32765.0.html
Old Aug 15, 2008, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

I run the C51's on my Evo in the T.T.s and the AX. So far they have lasted for 4 T.T. and 4 AX per set(roughly) Each T.T.= 4- 20min sessions practice & 2 timed laps and the AX is usally 4 runs. The biggest issue I've found is the camber settings..but I am one of those who drives the car daily so Big neg. camber I really can't do and still drive the car to the track and back safely..with 245/40/17 and -2.7 camber(fronts) the car in the rain would try to kill me. I am also running GT worx springs with stock shocks and stock sway bars. I have found the C51's to really like the temps in the 160 to 180 degree range..and the pressures to be a bit higher than expected...you can get huge grip and a very controlled slide if you run a lower pressure BUT you will peel the outer shoulders like a grape..front and back!! But overall I really like the tires and the Contingency $ is pretty good $200. for 1st in (Hankook Bucks) So for my season of 8 T.T. and 8 AX and a few extra track days I will go thru 3 sets of Z-214's ! I'm sure that others with better suspension setups will not kill them as fast as I do..and as I get the setup on mine sorted I'm sure they will begin to last much longer. But overall I think they are a great tire with some really good compounds. Pete
Old Feb 10, 2009, 07:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
Not to bring the thread from the dead, but has anyone else used these?

I just picked up two of them (245/40/17 c51 compound) on ebay for $90 bucks new! (No reserve baby!) and have a couple more coming in soon from Gruppe-S.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 08:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
I'm going to bring this thread back up from the dead again.

I FINALLY got to try out my new set of Hankook Z214's (c51 245/40/17)this weekend here in a 2 day Autox event in South Dakota.

A little backround:

This is the 2nd year I've autox'd. Last year I ran on the Star Specs, and loved them. This year, I started on the Nitto NT05's for one event being they were my street tires, but wanted to try and see how they compared with my Dunlops.

I then moved on to a set of used A032r's (255/40/17). I honestly was completely disappointed with these. Now, being they were used, I'm not sure how the previous owner took care of these, or if they were heat cycled out. But I swear, these had less grip the the star specs/NT05's I've ran in the past. Finally last weekend, I gave up on these, and am currently using them as street tires until winter comes around.

Anyway, on to the 'Kooks.

Got them mounted recently to my BBS wheels. Saturday we had a night event, which was the first time I got to run on them. Right off the bat after the first turn, these things gripped like nothing I've felt before!

I could tell these tires were working my "budget" suspension setup a LOT harder than the previous tires I used. With the bc coilovers and the robsispec rear sway, there was very little body roll on previous tires. With the 'kooks, I'm getting a LOT of roll.

A couple things though:

I started the tire pressure at 40psi cold, and I noticed I still just BARELY went over the triangular markers on the sidewall. Are you telling me I'd have to possibly run 42-44psi COLD on these things?

Or, is it just the fact that I'm fairly low in the front, which may have screwed up my roll center? Would a roll center kit possibly fix this? Any input would be great.

Pictures of my car as it sits for reference:

Anyone else think these are as good or better than the A6's??? Everyone here locally swears on the A6's, yet I'm the first to run the 'kooks.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LV///R
Anyone else think these are as good or better than the A6's??? Everyone here locally swears on the A6's, yet I'm the first to run the 'kooks.
Who said the C51s are as good or better than the A6s? The C51 is a medium compound tire and is comparable to the R6, not the A6. The C71 is Hankooks soft tire compound, which is comparable to the A6. The C91 is their super soft compound, and Hoosier doesnt have anything that compares to the C91.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 02:31 AM
Evolved Member

Where are you purchasing Hankook track tires?
Old Aug 24, 2009, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

I get mine thru Tread Zone (866) 208-6551 Joe Specht. This year my C-51 MIGHT last the entire TT season..and just a few AX this year. I still think they are a great tire..especially for the cost. Pete

Quick Reply: Solo: Anyone try Hankook Z214s?