Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Solo: Anyone try Hankook Z214s?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2008, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solo: Anyone try Hankook Z214s?

Looking to try these for local the stuff...

I put a durometer on a set & they were ridiculously soft & I understand they wear like iron (just wish they were cheaper).

Anyone have experience w/ them @ Solo, on an Evo? The local guys have them on a Miata, so not a lot of cross-feedback there.

Thx in advance...

George B.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ran them on the Lemons car (I know, not an Evo, but we did autocross it). They don't have the immediacy that something like the Dunlop has. You'll do ok locally, but if someone good shows up on Dunlops I could definitely see you losing because of the tires.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Not the streeties, but these:

Old Aug 11, 2008, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

I have been researching these as well, they have 2 compounds available in our sizes and 3 total compounds available. Still there is not a hall of alot of info
Old Aug 11, 2008, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

cheaper? theyre the cheapest R comp auto-x tire out there...
Old Aug 11, 2008, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RaNGVR-4
cheaper? theyre the cheapest R comp auto-x tire out there...
It's only a few bucks cheaper than 710s & A6s in 275/40-17s...
Old Aug 11, 2008, 05:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
I think the important question is how they heat cycle compared to the Hoosiers and V710s. The total cost really depends on how long they'll last.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:30 PM

I've been using them this year on my AS EVO. On the up side,
> about half the price of the 710s since I grabbed the closeout of the previous compound
> just a little less wide in the same size (275/40) means pretty much no rubbing compared to the 710s
> a little more progressive on breakaway
> sidewall seems a little stiffer since they haven't been flopping over like the 710s did, although I am running a few psi higher (37-38 vs 34-35)
> decent wear so far, but no more than 25 or so runs on fronts before moving to rears
> don't seem to mind a little heat

On the down side
> not quite as much grip as the 710s, but still pulling consistent 1.1g+ on sweepers.

George M
Old Aug 12, 2008, 02:31 AM
Evolved Member

Hankook has a contingency deal for us NASA TT guys. Ive been running the kooks this season. Other than me, i know a handful of Socal and Norcal TT guys who also run them. What do yo want to know? If you want, shoot me a PM.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 04:34 AM
Evolving Member

Thx guys--I just want to know how the car acts w/ the new compound & if they're still working after a good amt of heat-cycles.

I spoke to my buddy, Ian Stewart abt the tires. He told me they were a good bit heavier than the A6s, grip is between the A6s & 710s & wear very well; but he doesn't have any AWD feedback to give...
Old Aug 12, 2008, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

I experimented with a set on My XP EVO, my impression is that they perform decently for the price and can almost compete when they are fresh with A6 and 710 of the same size.

You will loose some of your longitudinal traction and make up for it in transition because they have the stiffest sidewall of the 3. The wear is about the same as the 710 but they start gradually going away after about 20 runs but have plenty of life left.

I would buy them again but for a lighter car that is less abusive on tires than the
evo, their transition is insane but still think that the loss of front grip would justify a different tire choice(if you want to be competitive) for such a front heavy car.

Great tire overall and could be a tire of choice for local guys that want respectable perfomance for less. National level cars would not like them IMO.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bueller
Hankook has a contingency deal for us NASA TT guys. Ive been running the kooks this season. Other than me, i know a handful of Socal and Norcal TT guys who also run them. What do yo want to know? If you want, shoot me a PM.
Not to hijack, but I'm interested in running these for TT and would love some impressions.

I'm thinking of moving to a 10pt tire and like you mentioned, there's the Hankok contingency going.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Not to hijack, but I'm interested in running these for TT and would love some impressions.

I'm thinking of moving to a 10pt tire and like you mentioned, there's the Hankok contingency going.
Basically, i couldnt have been happier thus far. The kooks come in 3 different compounds:

C91 - super uber soft
C71 - uber soft
C51 - soft

C91: IIRC are only available in 1 size (275/35/18) and they really only are intended for auto-x. They are super uber sticky! I tested them one time (btw, i dont auto-x). For road racing, only really light cars can benefit from them. Well, at least thats what i think based on my testing. Even then, they dont last very long. For road racing, TT and TA people can benefit from them if theyre looking for a few really fast laps. In fact, i dont recall how many exactly, but i either have 2 or 4 C91s that are scrubbed in and ready to go if anyone wants to buy them. I just havent had the time to put them up for sale.

C71: They are perfect for TT and TA events. They are uber soft, and can easily last a weekend. In fact, they can last beyond a weekend if you pick your sessions wisely. That, coupled with not running complete sessions, ie getting in a few fast laps then pitting, and they can be used for 2 weekends. But by the 2nd weekend it would be best if you ran them in the rear.

C51: They are a hair slower than the C71, anywhere from a few tenths up to possibly 1 sec, but if youre on a budget, this is your tire. They can last 2 weekends.

As far as comparing them to other DOT-slicks, i can only sort of compare them to the Hoosier R6/A6, because i ran them once. Honestly, i didnt notice any real difference. The 275s side by side are pretty much identical in size. The Hoosiers might be at the most a tenth of an inch wider, if that much. The only noticeable difference is that the Hoosiers have a protruding sidewall. Other than that, i was happy running the Kooks this season. Like i said before, there are many other Socal and Norcal TT guys that have been running the Kooks this season also. If you want more feedback try posting in Norcalevo's Motorsports forum.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ +1 what Ed said, except he runs Time Trials in an Evo, and I W2W race a Miata. I have raced on both C51s and C71s. At the 6 hour enduro at Buttonwillow, we ran C71 on the inside wheels and C51 on the outside wheels. Worked very well. General opinion is that C71 is superior to Hoosier A6, and C51 is superior to Hoosier R6. Both better than Nitto NT-01.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

word on the street is that the c91's are becoming almost mandatory if you want to be competitive in unlimited time attacks.... seems alot of cars have picked up speed lately by simply running this tire.

Id love to run some super sticky icky's....

n

Quick Reply: Solo: Anyone try Hankook Z214s?