Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Questions about Evo X as a track car

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2008, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about Evo X as a track car

I'm considering buying an Evo X MR, and once it fulfills its daily driver role, and my current track car (E36 M3) wears out, the Evo will become the track car.

A few questions:

1. How well does the car work, stock, on the track? With most cars, you have to do at least suspension and brake work before they are ready for serious track work. (I'm a PCA instructor, so I'm going to be pushing the car a little harder than a green student) I'm attracted to the Evo because of its seemingly track-ready hardware (Brembos, Bilstein shocks, etc.), but is it really track-ready out of the box?

2. I've never dealt with multi-piston brakes before. How easy is it to change pads on the Brembos, and what kind of brake pads are people running on the track? (I currently run Hawk HT-10s on my M3)

3. How is reliability of the MR TC-SST transmission on the track? I've started to hear rumors of overheating issues, but I really don't want the 5-speed tranny of the GSR.

4. What are people using for track alignment settings? Can camber (front and/or rear) be adjusted? What about toe, and what does this car like?

Obviously, I'm new to the Evo, but I don't think that the wealth of knowledge for the pre-X cars will help with an X on the track. I just haven't found very much info out there regarding the X and serious track use.

Thanks,
--michael
Old Aug 12, 2008, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My one concern would be the longevity and ability to take power of the SST.

And this is the main reason I didn't bother waiting for the MR.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. I consider them track ready out of the box. I run in the advanced/instructor group and also do NASA Time Attack. The are much better suited for a track in stock trim than most any other car. I do recommend better brake fluid.

2. Pads are super easy to change. I takes more time to take off the wheels than change pads. The brakes are top loaders, so you just pull the pins, replace the pads and you're on your way.

3. I'd stick with a GSR and 5 speed if you are ready to purchase now. If you have time to wait, more info will become available about the SST as more people put it to the test.

4. I dont have enough time in the X to give good info here. Hopefully someone like BlackTrack will have some input here for you. I'm sure that on the stock setup. All the camber you can get up front and 1 degree in the back will 0 toe all around will be a good starting point.

Hope some of that helps.

jeff
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
BlackTrack would definately be the one to ask.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/motor-sports-15/

As to the MR TC-SST tranny being reliable, I'm sure that will depend a lot on your power goals.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya
BlackTrack would definately be the one to ask.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

As to the MR TC-SST tranny being reliable, I'm sure that will depend a lot on your power goals.
I have PM'ed BlackTrack.

As for my "power goals": honestly, I prefer my cars stock, so I don't plan on increasing the stock power. (then again, once I find out how it is supposedly cheap and easy, compared to my BMWs, I may change my mind...) I prefer to stay stock and reliable--it's always the modified cars that have engine problems at the track.

I have to think that Mitsu did lots of track testing with the TC-SST, at least with the stock car, and it will hold up OK. But, the above posters are right--it may be wise to hold off a little bit.

I don't want the GSR, simply because of the 5-speed.

--michael
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Contact Robi Fuller at RobiSpec (760) 912-4337. He has set up and run multiple Evo X track cars. Tell him Richard Evo sent you.